Re: (ot) Chicken Stock Saved My Life

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Denise~*, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > I opened the huge dining room curtain so that the sun
    > could shine in the sliding glass doors and help get rid of some of the
    > smell.

    I'm glad you scared away a potential terror, but I'm still confused as
    to how "sunshine" takes away smell? somebody explain this please.

    Tags:

  2. Stacia

    Stacia Guest

    Denise~* <[email protected]> writes:

    >Glitter Ninja wrote:

    >> I opened the huge dining room curtain so that the sun
    >> could shine in the sliding glass doors and help get rid of some of the
    >> smell.

    >I'm glad you scared away a potential terror, but I'm still confused as
    >to how "sunshine" takes away smell? somebody explain this please.

    I can't explain it. All I know is my mother used to open curtains
    after having fish or some other strong dinner, and combined with a
    little Lysol, the smell would go away pretty quickly.
    I've tried using just Lysol and not opening curtains, but it doesn't
    work.

    Stacia

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Stacia wrote:
    > Denise~* <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Glitter Ninja wrote:

    >>> I opened the huge dining room curtain so that the sun
    >>> could shine in the sliding glass doors and help get rid of some of
    >>> the smell.

    >> I'm glad you scared away a potential terror, but I'm still confused
    >> as to how "sunshine" takes away smell? somebody explain this
    >> please.

    > I can't explain it. All I know is my mother used to open curtains
    > after having fish or some other strong dinner, and combined with a
    > little Lysol, the smell would go away pretty quickly.
    > I've tried using just Lysol and not opening curtains, but it doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Stacia

    You're lucky you didn't have the sliding doors open; he wouldn't have needed
    a hunk of limestone. I have a baby gate across my sliding glass doors
    between the screen door and the glass, but that's to keep my cat, Persia,
    from busting the screen door off its tracks when she spots another cat (she
    hates other cats!). The noise would certainly alert me and I'd be running
    out the front door with my portable phone in my hand dialing 911 and
    knocking on a neighbors door.

    Jill

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > You're lucky you didn't have the sliding doors open; he wouldn't have needed
    > a hunk of limestone. I have a baby gate across my sliding glass doors
    > between the screen door and the glass, but that's to keep my cat, Persia,
    > from busting the screen door off its tracks when she spots another cat (she
    > hates other cats!). The noise would certainly alert me and I'd be running
    > out the front door with my portable phone in my hand dialing 911 and
    > knocking on a neighbors door.

    I have two large dogs. The truth of the matter is that they are both furry
    enough that they appear to be a lot bigger than they are. One is a Belgium
    Shepherd, about 82 lb. and a 95 lb. Bouvier - Shepherd cross who looks more like
    a Bouvier - Irish Wolfhound. Both are very vocal whenever anyone goes by the
    house. I have them outside in the yard with me a lot and if there are strange
    people walking by (we live in the country) I make an appearance outside with
    them.

    I were burgled about 15 years ago. It turned out to be kids that went to my
    son's school. They knew that we were going to be away skiing for a few days.
    Luckily, one of the gang had been busted a few days earlier and told the police
    that our place was targeted. They had extra patrols in the area. In the
    afternoon a patrol car noted a broken basement window at the side of the house.
    Their MO was to break in through the basement and check the place out and then
    come back at night and clean the place out. The cops checked with our
    neighbours. There were two cops in our house and two more at the neighbours
    beside us and across the street (whose son is a cop) and two extra patrol cars
    in the area. The kids came back around 8 pm that evening. The cops closed in
    from neighbours houses and patrol and the cops inside popped out of their hiding
    place. Two of them went for the car. The kid at the wheel locked the doors. The
    cops smashed the window and reached in to grab him. He tried to take off with a
    cop hanging out each side of the car.

    We made out okay with insurance. The funny part is that when the kid came in the
    afternoon he took a bunch of CDs and an electric guitar. I had just bought a
    much more expensive guitar and was trying to sell that one to pay for it. I had
    been hoping to get $250 for it. Insurance was for replacement but because I said
    I had already bought the new one and had hoped to sell it, they gave me
    replacement value minus depreciation. I had to go to the music store for an
    estimate. SInce I had bought 5 guitars there over the past 10 years or so, and
    explained the situation, they gave me really high estimate, so after they
    deducted the depreciation I got $925. That went a long way toward paying for the
    new Martin.

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

    > estimate. SInce I had bought 5 guitars there over the past 10 years or
    > so, and
    > explained the situation, they gave me really high estimate, so after they
    > deducted the depreciation I got $925. That went a long way toward paying
    > for the
    > new Martin.

    So ... someone tried to rip you off, so you ripped off the insurance
    company? Just wondering.

    nancy

  6. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > > estimate. SInce I had bought 5 guitars there over the past 10 years or
    > > so, and
    > > explained the situation, they gave me really high estimate, so after they
    > > deducted the depreciation I got $925. That went a long way toward paying
    > > for the
    > > new Martin.

    > So ... someone tried to rip you off, so you ripped off the insurance
    > company? Just wondering.

    Don't expect me to feel guilty. They boosted my rates after that, so whatever
    they paid out on that claim they have since made up in spades. The adjuster
    told me they would go after the kids for restitution. I asked them about that
    after my premiums were raised and he said that you can't get blood out of a
    stone. Then I confronted him with the fact that there was no one from the
    insurance company in court. I was was there as a witness and the judge said
    that he was surprised that there was no one present from the insurance company
    and that since they had be caught red handed in the house that he would
    certainly have ordered restitution. He ordered a restitution for my deductible,
    which I got.

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> So ... someone tried to rip you off, so you ripped off the insurance
    >> company? Just wondering.

    > Don't expect me to feel guilty.

    Guilty? Eh. Just pointing out the irony. Break window, steal,
    bad. Inflate value, get extra money back, good.

    I am sorry that happened to you, nonetheless. Would
    really piss me off. I've been pretty lucky so far, only loss was
    a car radio once.

    nancy

  8. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > >> So ... someone tried to rip you off, so you ripped off the insurance
    > >> company? Just wondering.

    > > Don't expect me to feel guilty.

    > Guilty? Eh. Just pointing out the irony. Break window, steal,
    > bad. Inflate value, get extra money back, good.

    I didn't inflate the value. I explained the situation to the owner of the
    store. He provided a written estimate.

    > I am sorry that happened to you, nonetheless. Would
    > really piss me off. I've been pretty lucky so far, only loss was
    > a car radio once.

    I wish they would start locking people up for that for a long time. It is
    a big problem. There aren't many people to do the stealing. It is a small
    group who do it a lot.

    I was lucky. These guys had been breaking into a lot of houses. The cops
    were on to them and caught one. He ratted out his friends. They acted on
    the information they got from him and it just happened to be my place where
    they caught up with them. It was good police work.

    It was the court that let everyone down. The kid who was charged for
    dangerous driving (with cops hanging out the window) got 2 years.......
    probation. They were all young offenders. The driver was from a welfare
    family, 17 years old and owns his own car, which he uses to supplement his
    income in the burglary business. Another one of the kids was on "student
    welfare". He was out on his own recognizance and got busted at a jewellery
    store three days later. It was funny. He went into the store and asked to
    see some rings. The clerk got a tray of rings out of the display case and
    set them on top. The kid grabbed the tray and took off running for about 20
    paces before pulling a Charlie horse and went down like a ton of bricks.
    He was still cramped up when the security guards grabbed him. I would have
    paid to have seen that.

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Nancy Young wrote:

    >>> So ... someone tried to rip you off, so you ripped off the insurance
    >>> company? Just wondering.

    >> Don't expect me to feel guilty.

    > Guilty? Eh. Just pointing out the irony. Break window, steal,
    > bad. Inflate value, get extra money back, good.
    >
    > I am sorry that happened to you, nonetheless. Would
    > really piss me off. I've been pretty lucky so far, only loss was
    > a car radio once.
    >
    > nancy

    My brother Scott had his house broken into twice. He lives in a nice
    neighborhood. One of those cookie-cutter suburbs where everything should be
    Pleasant Valley Sunday (earworm!) every day.

    Both times no one noticed someone had backed a van up in his driveway and
    kicked in his front door. They then proceeded to haul away his TV, VCR,
    computers, pretty much anything they could carry. After the insurance
    company paid off and he replaced all his stuff, these same guys came back
    and did it again. See, they know when you work and aren't at home. They
    also know when you've replaced all your stuff. This is one reason I take
    boxes for computer components and other expensive items to a dumpster at a
    convenience store rather than setting them out by the curb. And I make sure
    there is nothing on the boxes that indicates where the items were delivered.

    Jill