Re: OT -- Decline of a noble language: raise your hand if you'reinnocent

Scott Gordo

Guest
On Feb 25, 7:15 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

> > > slightest confusion.

> Andre Jute replies to Fogel:
> The first victim of the enemies of society is always the meaning of
> the language -- Paul Johnson, The Enemies of Society
>
> Andrew Muzi says:
>
> > Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like
> > 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one
> > being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get overit.

> Andre Jute:
> I agree with you, Andrew, people should write better English than
> "languages degrade". Languages degrade what? What does languages
> degrade? No, I think you mean that someone degrades the language. So
> let's rewrite in simple and direct English without the solecisms:
>
> ****> Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like
>
> Some old fogies like me are driven to distraction by hearing words
> such as
>
> > 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one

> 'orientated' [oriented]. I have learned to smile and walk away because
> no one
>
> > being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get overit.

> is interested in my opinion of the language. People degrade languages.
> Get over it.
> *****
>
> Besides "languages" incestuously degrading themselves, the parenthetic
> "(me)" is a lazy affectation, "oriented" is a sample  from a larger
> whole rather than a metaphor and should take "such as", we can take
> your opinion but if you imply more sharing your opinion as in "for
> one" you should tell us who they are or Creepy Carl will call you a
> liar for the deceit of claiming support you don't specify, "being
> interested" is in a limp passive case that should be rewritten and
> then allows the much more manly connective "because" before it in the
> place of the limp comma, there is no reason for your opinion of the
> language to be in the plural, you do not tell us what "languages
> degrade" nor do you in fact mean to say that languages degrade
> something but the someone degrades language to an extent where
> resistance is futile, and it makes the two ideas stronger to split
> them into separate short sentences.
>
> *****
>
> There will be no further charge for professional services, Andrew; I
> like reading your advice on the newsgroup.
>
> By the way, I have no objection to the way Andrew writes; he seems
> pretty literate and comprehensible to me. I'm merely demonstrating
> that even some of the best of us are not immune from criticism of the
> way we use the language, so we should point out solecisms politely.
> Not everyone has English as a mother tongue.
>
> Andre Jute
>  "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the
> world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that
> but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

I can haz ur bikzzzz?

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I can haz ur bikzzzz?

Methinks Scott has been reading too many posts by "Libby" [1].

[1] alt.mountain-bike centric reference.

On Feb 28, 3:27 pm, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Tom Sherman asks:

> > Andre Jute replies to Fogel:
> > The first victim of the enemies of society is always the meaning of
> > the language -- Paul Johnson, The Enemies of Society

> > Andrew Muzi says:

> > > Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like
> > > 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one
> > > being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get over it.

> > Andre Jute:
> > I agree with you, Andrew, people should write better English than
> > "languages degrade". Languages degrade what? What does languages
> > degrade? No, I think you mean that someone degrades the language. So
> > let's rewrite in simple and direct English without the solecisms:

> > ****> Some old fogies (me) are driven to distraction on hearing things like

> > Some old fogies like me are driven to distraction by hearing words
> > such as

> > > 'orientated'. I, for one, have learned to smile and walk away, no one

> > 'orientated' [oriented]. I have learned to smile and walk away because
> > no one

> > > being interested in my opinions of language. Languages degrade; get over it.

> > is interested in my opinion of the language. People degrade languages.
> > Get over it.
> > *****

> > Besides "languages" incestuously degrading themselves, the parenthetic
> > "(me)" is a lazy affectation, "oriented" is a sample  from a larger
> > whole rather than a metaphor and should take "such as", we can take
> > your opinion but if you imply more sharing your opinion as in "for
> > one" you should tell us who they are or Creepy Carl will call you a
> > liar for the deceit of claiming support you don't specify, "being
> > interested" is in a limp passive case that should be rewritten and
> > then allows the much more manly connective "because" before it in the
> > place of the limp comma, there is no reason for your opinion of the
> > language to be in the plural, you do not tell us what "languages
> > degrade" nor do you in fact mean to say that languages degrade
> > something but the someone degrades language to an extent where
> > resistance is futile, and it makes the two ideas stronger to split
> > them into separate short sentences.

> > *****

> > There will be no further charge for professional services, Andrew; I
> > like reading your advice on the newsgroup.

> > By the way, I have no objection to the way Andrew writes; he seems
> > pretty literate and comprehensible to me. I'm merely demonstrating
> > that even some of the best of us are not immune from criticism of the
> > way we use the language, so we should point out solecisms politely.
> > Not everyone has English as a mother tongue.

> > Andre Jute

SNIPPED INACCURATELY ATTRIBUTED QUOTATION...

> I can haz ur bikzzzz?

Send six off-brand cola-tops and two dollars to the right address.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html