Re: [OT] DIY electrical work

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Senior, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    David Hansen [email protected] opined the following...
    > In England and Wales. The position in Scotland sensibly remains as
    > it was. No idea about Northern Ireland.

    Really? No mention has been made of this. Is the Scottish position that
    electrical work was already included in the building regs?

    > What sort of sockets are these, other than BS196 outlets?

    I believe the standard is BS 4343 and they are a CEEForm connector
    (Technically 32A).

    > I suggest the 125A size. The next lowest is 63A, which is a bit
    > small.

    Nah. 125A connectors are a pain in the arse to mate / break. I'd put a
    pair of 63As in. Just make sure that the incoming supply has an
    appropriately sized breaker before the sockets!

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. Jon Senior wrote:

    > Nah. 125A connectors are a pain in the arse to mate / break. I'd put a
    > pair of 63As in. Just make sure that the incoming supply has an
    > appropriately sized breaker before the sockets!

    All of a sudden I'm beginning to see the sense in these regulations... ;-)

    --
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Mark Tranchant [email protected] opined the following...
    > All of a sudden I'm beginning to see the sense in these regulations... ;-)

    We once had Billy Bragg touring through Sheffield. His lighting tech
    came in with a plank of wood with three rows of 13A sockets on it and a
    tailset on the other end.

    He asked our spark to tail it in for him, and the spark asked what was
    going on the other end (This being a slightly unusual looking distro).
    The tech proudly pulled out is lighting rack. Out of each dimmer came a
    set of 13A plugs wired in parallel. The spark smiled and cut the plugs
    off and suggested that he return when he had wired it properly.

    The reasons for this are left as an exercise for the reader. ;-)

    Jon

  4. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:10:13 -0000 someone who may be Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote this:-

    >> In England and Wales. The position in Scotland sensibly remains as
    >> it was. No idea about Northern Ireland.

    >Really? No mention has been made of this. Is the Scottish position that
    >electrical work was already included in the building regs?

    The Building Regulations in Scotland have stated for decades that
    electrical work must be carried out in accordance with the IEE
    Wiring Regulations. That is entirely sensible. The Regs specify IIRC
    "a suitably qualified electrical engineer", amongst other terms.
    That does not mean someone on a particular register, or a council
    official.

    >I believe the standard is BS 4343 and they are a CEEForm connector
    >(Technically 32A).

    There is a long number for the things today, but I still call them
    BS4343 sockets.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.