Re: [OT] DIY electrical work

Jon Senior

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> Correct. And as a B.Eng (Hons), MIEE, who has been working on house
> wiring since my early teens, I find it quite amusing that I will not
> be allowed to work on my own wiring. I suppose I'll have to burn my
> copy of the IEE regs...

No. You just have to pay the local "training organisation" to inspect
your wiring and certify you. Then you can install wiring everywhere! ;-)

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> > Correct. And as a B.Eng (Hons), MIEE, who has been working on house
> > wiring since my early teens, I find it quite amusing that I will not
> > be allowed to work on my own wiring. I suppose I'll have to burn my
> > copy of the IEE regs...

> No. You just have to pay the local "training organisation" to inspect
> your wiring and certify you. Then you can install wiring everywhere! ;-)

I have a degree in electronics!!! (believe it or not) but I would not
feel too confident rewiring a house(first time) (never stopped my dad
doing it though
and he left school at 13-14!!).

> Jon

half_pint [email protected] opined the following...
> I have a degree in electronics!!! (believe it or not) but I would not
> feel too confident rewiring a house(first time) (never stopped my dad
> doing it though
> and he left school at 13-14!!).

Wrong scale you see. You're thinking too small.

I have a degree in Biochemistry but have a lot of experience of working
with mains electricity and have tailed in numerous temporary supplies
over the last few years. I wouldn't think twice about rewiring a house,
but I would read through the 16th Edition Wiring Regs first just in case
I had missed anything obvious.

Jon

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:17:04 -0000, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

> You just have to pay the local "training organisation" to inspect
>your wiring and certify you. Then you can install wiring everywhere! ;-)

Tempting to do that - and the local plumbing organisation too.
There's gold in them thar hills :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:53:42 -0000, "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a degree in electronics!!! (believe it or not) but I would not
>feel too confident rewiring a house(first time) (never stopped my dad
>doing it though >and he left school at 13-14!!).

Pah. Anything less than half an amp is leakage.

And nothing stopped my dad doing his own wiring either. Rightly so:
he is a qualified electrician :)

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Pah. Anything less than half an amp is leakage.

That might have to make it onto a T-shirt.

Jon

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:53:42 -0000 someone who may be "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I have a degree in electronics!!! (believe it or not) but I would not
>feel too confident rewiring a house(first time)

Good. Electronics is not the same as electrical work.

However, with a degree in electronics you should find it relatively
easy to become competent in basic wiring.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.