Re: OT: Go Lance Armstrong!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by smiles, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. smiles

    smiles Guest

    "Brian McG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    > a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    > greatest cyclist

    Ha ... "second rung" ... he is just focused on one goal ... I saw him ride
    here in Georgia, he is in no way a "second rung" athlete ... he may not be
    the "best of all time" ... but he is one of the best. One cannot race for a
    month through those conditions and come out on top against the BEST in the
    world be considerd a "second rung" athlete!!

    Sorry for the cross post ... but get the cycling guys in this debate;-)

    http://boardnbike.com

    ---------- original post in complete ----------
    Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    greatest cyclist

    If my memory is somewhat accurate.
    Lance has like 8 major tour wins, Merckx has 70+
    Lance has 75 total stage or individual victories, Merckx as over 500. ....

    To rest of world cycling fans, Lance's shameless hype is like basketball
    fans getting pissed by a Dennis Rodman type goon being hyped as another
    Michael Jordan.

    Maybe it's time for Lance to get his comeuppance from a Fan.

    "Klaus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yeah check out what Lance had to ride though on Saturday. The fans in
    > orange are from Spain - but the French fans aren't much better. Nice

    double
    > bird in Lance's face from the fan on the left. Loooosers!
    >
    > http://www.velonews.com/images/news/6597.8494.f.jpg

    Tags:

  2. smiles wrote:

    > "Brian McG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    >>a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    >>greatest cyclist

    > Ha ... "second rung" ... he is just focused on one goal ... I saw him ride
    > here in Georgia, he is in no way a "second rung" athlete ... he may not be
    > the "best of all time" ... but he is one of the best. One cannot race for a
    > month through those conditions and come out on top against the BEST in the
    > world be considerd a "second rung" athlete!!
    >
    > Sorry for the cross post ... but get the cycling guys in this debate;-)

    > http://boardnbike.com
    >

    > ---------- original post in complete ----------
    > Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    > a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    > greatest cyclist
    >
    > If my memory is somewhat accurate.
    > Lance has like 8 major tour wins, Merckx has 70+
    > Lance has 75 total stage or individual victories, Merckx as over 500. ....
    >
    > To rest of world cycling fans, Lance's shameless hype is like basketball
    > fans getting pissed by a Dennis Rodman type goon being hyped as another
    > Michael Jordan.
    >
    > Maybe it's time for Lance to get his comeuppance from a Fan.
    >

    > "Klaus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Yeah check out what Lance had to ride though on Saturday. The fans in
    >>orange are from Spain - but the French fans aren't much better. Nice

    > double
    >
    >>bird in Lance's face from the fan on the left. Loooosers!
    >>
    >>http://www.velonews.com/images/news/6597.8494.f.jpg

    We don't need no stinkin debate, that Helmet - troll thing won't die and
    as soon as the tour is over we'll be buried beneath coulda - woulda -
    shoulda threads.

  3. Brian McG

    Brian McG Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > > here in Georgia, he is in no way a "second rung" athlete ... he may not

    be
    > > the "best of all time" ... but he is one of the best.

    We're saying the same thing. Lance is second rung in a historical context.
    It's not a slam of Lance. It's a slam at the current hype that he's in the
    same League as a Michael Jordan or as an Eddy Merckx.

  4. TM

    TM Guest

  5. On 7/20/04 6:48 AM, in article [email protected],
    "smiles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Brian McG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    >> a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    >> greatest cyclist

    > Ha ... "second rung" ... he is just focused on one goal ... I saw him ride
    > here in Georgia, he is in no way a "second rung" athlete ... he may not be
    > the "best of all time" ... but he is one of the best. One cannot race for a
    > month through those conditions and come out on top against the BEST in the
    > world be considerd a "second rung" athlete!!
    >
    > Sorry for the cross post ... but get the cycling guys in this debate;-)

    > http://boardnbike.com
    >

    > ---------- original post in complete ----------
    > Maybe the rest of cycling world fans (Europeans etc) see Lance for he is;
    > a second rung athlete that is being hyped as one of the worlds (historic)
    > greatest cyclist
    >
    > If my memory is somewhat accurate.
    > Lance has like 8 major tour wins, Merckx has 70+
    > Lance has 75 total stage or individual victories, Merckx as over 500. ....
    >
    > To rest of world cycling fans, Lance's shameless hype is like basketball
    > fans getting pissed by a Dennis Rodman type goon being hyped as another
    > Michael Jordan.
    >
    > Maybe it's time for Lance to get his comeuppance from a Fan.
    >

    > "Klaus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Yeah check out what Lance had to ride though on Saturday. The fans in
    >> orange are from Spain - but the French fans aren't much better. Nice

    > double
    >> bird in Lance's face from the fan on the left. Loooosers!
    >>
    >> http://www.velonews.com/images/news/6597.8494.f.jpg

    I find myself to be a fairly decent rider, and two years ago did a ride
    (AIDS ride) from Amsterdam to Paris, 7 days, 560 miles. I was by no means
    racing and was exhausted by the end of the week. So I just have to imagine
    even the snail in the Peloton who finishes the tour has to be in fine shape.
    Armstrong, Basso,Ulrich, Voekkler (sp ?) are in excellent shape, its a whole
    other level