Re: OT: GR (fixiie) recomendations

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Corvus Corvax, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

    > I've also been pondering a fixed-gear bike ... but track bikes don't
    > have brakes! I like brakes. I want at least one on there somewhere.
    >
    > Is there a way to attach brakes to a straight track bike, like the
    > cannondale or the Bianchi?

    Depends on the frame. I think most will accomodate at least a front
    brake (and you really don't need a rear). My solution to this problem
    was to build up a cyclocross frame as a fixed-gear, instead of a
    traditional track frame. This has pluses and minuses. The cyclocross
    frame (a Surly Crosscheck) has a much slacker geometry than a track
    frame, which makes the handling slower and the ride smoother, both
    advantages from my perspective (YMMV). The bike has a forward-facing
    horizontal dropout instead of rear-facing track dropout, which makes
    Jimbo nervous but has yet to cause me any problems. I have both front
    and rear brakes on my bike -- Deore V-brakes, which won't work with
    standard roadie brake levers. The Dia-Compe 287-V lever is a drop-bar
    lever which is compatible with V-brakes. The point of the Vs is so that
    I can use fattie tires and/or fenders, something difficult to do on a
    traditional track/road frame. This is one of the beauties of the Surly:
    "Fatties Fit Fine"! I keep the rear brake on because I have a Phil Wood
    fixed/free flipflop hub on the back (truly a work of art), so that I
    can swap over to a freewheel if I wish. I rarely do. Riding fixed is
    that much better, once you get over the hamstring cramps.

    CC

    Tags:

  2. Jimbo(san)

    Jimbo(san) New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    <Corvus Corvax
    The bike has a forward-facing
    horizontal dropout instead of rear-facing track dropout, which makes
    Jimbo nervous but has yet to cause me any problems.

    Not nervous about foward facing drops.... I'm nervous about the chunk like job I did on that bike.

    jimbo(san)