Re: OT Is anyone really surprised?

On Jan 14, 3:37 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> All the way up to this point I gave you credit for
> above average probity and good will, but have now
> revised my estimate downward. Anyone who disagrees
> with you is automatically a rightwingnut. Do you
> know what you are doing?
>
> A long time ago I decided I could learn from anybody,
> and it has been a good decision. Looking forward to
> hearing from you.

I don't know you well enough to care whether you give me credit for
probity and good will or not.

Sandy lacks the background to determine whether my thinking is
critical or not, particularly in the technical area of demographic
estimation of mortality based on surveys, and the positions he
imagines I hold are ones I do not. Accordingly, "babbling" turned out
to be the appropriate description. Where have I ever accused Sandy of
being a rightwingnut? You will not find it.

wrote:

> On Jan 14, 3:37 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> All the way up to this point I gave you credit for
>> above average probity and good will, but have now
>> revised my estimate downward. Anyone who disagrees
>> with you is automatically a rightwingnut. Do you
>> know what you are doing?
>>
>> A long time ago I decided I could learn from anybody,
>> and it has been a good decision. Looking forward to
>> hearing from you.

> I don't know you well enough to care whether you give me credit for
> probity and good will or not.
>
> Sandy lacks the background to determine whether my thinking is
> critical or not, particularly in the technical area of demographic
> estimation of mortality based on surveys, and the positions he
> imagines I hold are ones I do not. Accordingly, "babbling" turned out
> to be the appropriate description. Where have I ever accused Sandy of
> being a rightwingnut? You will not find it.

People would like you better if you told them what they want to hear. Just
in case you care.

Getting credit for probity is overrated. You can't really spend it except
at the company store.

--
Bill Asher

William Asher wrote:
> Getting credit for probity is overrated. You can't really spend it except
> at the company store.

Perhaps with wife/lover/SO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwo8qxUit00

--
tanx,
Howard

Now it's raining pitchforks and women,
But I've already got a pitchfork...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> In article <7vvjj.10415$ac7.6617@trndny03>,
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd say to Sandy perhaps what my Norwegian-born crown and bridge
>> clinical professor said to us when we questioned his knowledge:
>> (imagine here a Norse accent)
>> "Don't tell your father how to make children!"

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwo8qxUit00

Thanks for the Norse accent exemplar.

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <7vvjj.10415$ac7.6617@trndny03>,
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd say to Sandy perhaps what my Norwegian-born crown and bridge
>> clinical professor said to us when we questioned his knowledge:
>> (imagine here a Norse accent)
>> "Don't tell your father how to make children!"

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwo8qxUit00

Cute--thanks!

Steve

On Jan 17, 12:55 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I was wrong you did not call anyone here a rightwingnut.
> > > You called them catspaws of rightwingnuts.

> > Please do.

> The message ID's that I posted? They are not in your reply.

Ah, those. I tried clicking on them but they just pointed at this
thread, not to individual posts within this thread. Could you re-
specify the posts?

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> > > Please do.

> > The message ID's that I posted? They are not in your reply.

> Ah, those. I tried clicking on them but they just pointed at this
> thread, not to individual posts within this thread. Could you re-
> specify the posts?

That is because you are using google groups rather than
a real news reader. You can put them in the Message-ID search
window (sans angle brackets) of the groups advanced search
page.

Here are some quotations.

"Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
thinking."

"Bill ranted:

> Exactly. There isn't a damned thing I'm told by a politician, read in
> a study, or read as the "latest advance" in medeicine and other things
> I don't either take with a grain of sand, or seriously question, even
> if it sounds good.

You have, of course, swallowed the entire right-wing obfuscation
point: the point isn't to do science, uncover facts, learn, or make
informed decisions--it's to sow doubt and to discredit actual
expertise."

"Dude, if you can do that, then you're obviously out of my league.
OTOH, if you can't do that then I'd think you're just tossing up knee-
jerk objections to muddy the water. Which is exactly what the wingnuts
want you to do."

--
Michael Press

On Jan 21, 3:28 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here are some quotations [which show that I did not call Bill a rightwingnut but pointed out that his position was rightwingnutlike].

Thanks for your clarification and correction. I was thrown by your use
of the plural "them."