Re: OT: Paul Smith down

calum

Guest
On Dec 14, 5:32 pm, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> This, of course, refers to Smith's recommendation of trampling on
> peoples' grief to duck speeding fines here:
>
> Paul Smith Sep 3 2001, 11:01 am
> You don`t even need to know the deceased. Just picking a name for
> the
>
> local newspaper`s obituary column has been known to work nicely.
> With
> a bit of care in your choice, there`s no one to call you a liar.
> (It`s on my web site :) -- Paul Smith Scotland, UK
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk

For anyone desperate enough to take up the now deceased Mr Smith's
suggestion above, here's HIS address:

Paul Smith
Coast View
Hunting Hill
near Tain
Ross-shire
Scotland
IV19 1PE

calum

vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In message <[email protected]>
> > "Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunatly, there will be someone equally nasty and dangerous to take
> >> his
> >> place (assuming he was nasty and dangerous).

> > There'll be a press vacuum, certainly.
> >
> > Perhaps the media can be satisfied by one of the informed,
> > thoughtful, positive and rounded commentators we are fortunate to have
> > posting to this newsgroup.
> >

> Smith's views dovetailed with the editorial sentiments of several
> motoring/motor cycling publications. I doubt that he'll be replaced by
> members of urc whose sentiments are diametrically opposed to those of the
> deceased.

to be honest i'd never heard of him. bar though spindrift's venom. while
i do have a car and do drive regularly i have little intrest in cars, i
do watch top gear but then that has little about cars as well in many
ways.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i96pin.odc1oc1t1rqsvN%[email protected]...
> vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > There'll be a press vacuum, certainly.
>> >
>> > Perhaps the media can be satisfied by one of the informed,
>> > thoughtful, positive and rounded commentators we are fortunate to have
>> > posting to this newsgroup.
>> >

>> Smith's views dovetailed with the editorial sentiments of several
>> motoring/motor cycling publications. I doubt that he'll be replaced by
>> members of urc whose sentiments are diametrically opposed to those of the
>> deceased.

> to be honest i'd never heard of him. bar though spindrift's venom. while
> i do have a car and do drive regularly i have little intrest in cars, i
> do watch top gear but then that has little about cars as well in many
> ways.

Motorcycle News and Bike Magazine have used his materials and views in anti
speed camera articles. There was a well written piece incorporating decent
input from him about the dangers posed by the winscreen pillars of certain
models of cars creating dangerous blind spots and posing a hazard to two
wheeled vehicles and pedestrians. He might have made other decent
contributions to improving road safety but they've no doubt been
overshadowed by the strident protests of his detractors. He certainly
wasn't a one trick pony....

In article <[email protected]>, vernon wrote:
>Motorcycle News and Bike Magazine have used his materials and views in anti
>speed camera articles. There was a well written piece incorporating decent
>input from him about the dangers posed by the winscreen pillars of certain
>models of cars creating dangerous blind spots and posing a hazard to two
>wheeled vehicles and pedestrians.

Yes, smidsy.org.uk was his. But he seems to have concentrated far more
on his speed obsession for some time.

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i96pin.odc1oc1t1rqsvN%[email protected]...
>> vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

> Motorcycle News and Bike Magazine have used his materials and views in
> anti speed camera articles. There was a well written piece incorporating
> decent input from him about the dangers posed by the winscreen pillars of
> certain models of cars creating dangerous blind spots and posing a hazard
> to two wheeled vehicles and pedestrians. He might have made other decent
> contributions to improving road safety but they've no doubt been
> overshadowed by the strident protests of his detractors. He certainly
> wasn't a one trick pony....

Thanks for that Vernon. I don't read such mags, so was unaware that he had
any views about road safety other than the ones about speed cameras. So
partly the media's fault in encouraging him and only showing the bits that
made a good story for them.