Re: Ouch, my bum!

John Stevenson

Guest
Michael Warner wrote:
> I was gawping at a top-of-the-line Specialized road
> bike ($11k list!) the other day, and noticed that the
> saddle was nothing but a thin sheet of carbon fibre,
> with no padding whatsoever.
>
> Has anyone ridden on one of these? What's it like
> for a couple of hours or more - do you get accustomed
> to it?

One of the things junior cycling journalists are good for is testing
ludicrous products. As it happens, our newbie journo Les quite liked
Selle Italia's all-carbon seat:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/selle_italia_c64

You wouldn't want to do anything *long* on it, but that's clearly not
what it's for. If you were building up an insanely light bikes for a
hill climb TT, though, it'd do the job.

Interestingly, Jeff Jones just took delivery of a bike with a similar
carbon saddle and he reports that it's more comfortable than a certain
widely-specced *padded* lightweight saddle.

I strongly suspect saddle comfort has a lot more to do with the shape of
the hull than the padding.

John
Cyclingnews bloke.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:31:54 +1000, John Stevenson wrote:

> One of the things junior cycling journalists are good for is testing
> ludicrous products. As it happens, our newbie journo Les quite liked
> Selle Italia's all-carbon seat:

Thanks, John. I don't care much for the idea of carbon rails, though -
the one I saw appeared to have standard Ti rails.

> Interestingly, Jeff Jones just took delivery of a bike with a similar
> carbon saddle and he reports that it's more comfortable than a certain
> widely-specced *padded* lightweight saddle.

I would imagine that if it could be custom-moulded to the user's ****
and the support points positioned appropriately, it could be quite a bit
more comfortable.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo