Re: Paul Smith

In news:[email protected],
Brimstone <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> As would not "driving Minis as fast I could around roundabouts" thus
> giving the other drivers time to see you.

In most of the Minis I've driven, that's about 7 mph

--
Dave Larrington
If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something

Rob Morley (Rob Morley <[email protected]>) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

>> Does that ring any bells (like the ones that should be fitted to the
>> bicycle but are not?)

> What function do you think a bell serves, other than to warn a

other road user

> of the approach of a bicycle?

None whatsoever. Same as a horn on a car doesn't. In fact the HC
specifically says that's all it's for.

It's still a legal requirement.

Adrian wrote:
[bike bell]
> It's still a legal requirement.

To be fitted at sale, not to be fitted in use.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Conor wrote:
>>
>> Just a note..cabs a feckin high now with the bottom of windscreens
>> over 6ft off the floor so try and be a few feet in front of the
>> lorry if you're directly in front of it.

> If you're stopped at a red light and a lorry pulls up right behind
> you, that means going a few feet through the red light. Sometimes
> that's safe and advisable, but sometimes it would mean pulling into
> the middle of a pedestrian crossing which is being used.

Right, so if the lorry driver does indeed pull up too close, the cyclists
brain needs to kick into gear - self preservation now takes over from blame.
--
MrBitsy

Peter Clinch (Peter Clinch <[email protected]>) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

> Adrian wrote:
> [bike bell]

No.

>> It's still a legal requirement.

> To be fitted at sale, not to be fitted in use.

Now read the context that sentence was in.

>>> What function do you think a bell serves, other than to warn a

>> other road user

>>> of the approach of a bicycle?

>> None whatsoever. Same as a horn on a car doesn't. In fact the HC
>> specifically says that's all it's for.
>>
>> It's still a legal requirement.

It's not only required to be fitted, but the correct functioning of it is
checked annually by law.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Brimstone <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
> to tell us:
>
>> As would not "driving Minis as fast I could around roundabouts" thus
>> giving the other drivers time to see you.

> In most of the Minis I've driven, that's about 7 mph

Then you haven't driven many Minis.

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> [bike bell]
>> It's still a legal requirement.

> To be fitted at sale, not to be fitted in use.

Oh dear.

In article <[email protected]>, Brimstone
[email protected] says...

> As would not "driving Minis as fast I could around roundabouts"

Where's the fun in that? I was driving at legal speeds, had right of
way, road conditions and visibility good ...

In article <[email protected]>, Adrian
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley (Rob Morley <[email protected]>) gurgled happily, sounding
> much like they were saying:
>
> >> Does that ring any bells (like the ones that should be fitted to the
> >> bicycle but are not?)

> > What function do you think a bell serves, other than to warn a

> other road user

They're pretty much inaudible to drivers in traffic. I find that my
voice provides a much better means of attracting the attention of
visually impaired or intellectually disadvantaged drivers, and at the
same time I can cover both brakes in case they're needed.

> > of the approach of a bicycle?

> None whatsoever. Same as a horn on a car doesn't. In fact the HC
> specifically says that's all it's for.
>
> It's still a legal requirement.

A bike intended for road use must be supplied with a bell, but there's
no legal obligation to keep it once it's out of the shop.

In article <[email protected]>, Brimstone
[email protected] says...
> Peter Clinch wrote:
> > Adrian wrote:
> > [bike bell]
> >> It's still a legal requirement.

> > To be fitted at sale, not to be fitted in use.
> >

> Oh dear.

Why?

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brimstone
> [email protected] says...
>
>> As would not "driving Minis as fast I could around roundabouts"

> Where's the fun in that? I was driving at legal speeds, had right of
> way, road conditions and visibility good ...

Just because you're in the right doesn't keep you alive.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brimstone
> [email protected] says...
>> Peter Clinch wrote:
>>> Adrian wrote:
>>> [bike bell]
>>>
>>> To be fitted at sale, not to be fitted in use.
>>>

>> Oh dear.
>>

> Why?

What is the purpose of a bell or horn on a vehicle?

Adrian wrote:
> Peter Clinch (Peter Clinch <[email protected]>) gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>> [bike bell]

> No.

> Now read the context that sentence was in.

The "same as" makes it ambiguous, actually.

Pete.

On 2007-12-19, Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the purpose of a bell or horn on a vehicle?

To provoke arguments on Usenet?

--
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote:
> On 2007-12-19, Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> What is the purpose of a bell or horn on a vehicle?
>>

> To provoke arguments on Usenet?

Is the correct answer.

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Conor wrote:
>> Just a note..cabs a feckin high now with the bottom of windscreens over
>> 6ft off the floor so try and be a few feet in front of the lorry if
>> you're directly in front of it.

> If you're stopped at a red light and a lorry pulls up right behind you,
> that means going a few feet through the red light. Sometimes that's safe
> and advisable, but sometimes it would mean pulling into the middle of a
> pedestrian crossing which is being used.

If you are approaching a cyclist stopped in the middle of your lane
waiting a red light (I know this is extremly rare) then when stopping
behid him you should stop where you keep him in sight, it's not up to
him to move.

I take your point on high trucks, I can pull up to a small car like a
Fiat cinquecento when I'm in the Daf 105 and it will completly disappear
below my sightline and there will still be room for pedestrians to
easily pass between me and it. The later Daf's have a mirror down across
the windscreen to help.

In article <[email protected]>, NM wrote:
>Alan Braggins wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Conor wrote:
>>> Just a note..cabs a feckin high now with the bottom of windscreens over
>>> 6ft off the floor so try and be a few feet in front of the lorry if
>>> you're directly in front of it.

>> If you're stopped at a red light and a lorry pulls up right behind you,
>> that means going a few feet through the red light. Sometimes that's safe
>> and advisable, but sometimes it would mean pulling into the middle of a
>> pedestrian crossing which is being used.

>If you are approaching a cyclist stopped in the middle of your lane
>waiting a red light (I know this is extremly rare) then when stopping
>behid him you should stop where you keep him in sight, it's not up to
>him to move.

Exactly. Just telling cyclists to keep clear of lorries isn't the
whole answer, the drivers have to pay attention too. (Which almost
all of them do, almost all of the time.)

> On 2007-12-19, Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>>What is the purpose of a bell or horn on a vehicle?

and on 19/12/2007 12:39, David Taylor suggested:
> To provoke arguments on Usenet?

Nah, that's the purpose of cross-posting.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

NM <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Braggins wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Conor wrote:
> >> Just a note..cabs a feckin high now with the bottom of windscreens over
> >> 6ft off the floor so try and be a few feet in front of the lorry if
> >> you're directly in front of it.

> > If you're stopped at a red light and a lorry pulls up right behind you,
> > that means going a few feet through the red light. Sometimes that's safe
> > and advisable, but sometimes it would mean pulling into the middle of a
> > pedestrian crossing which is being used.

> If you are approaching a cyclist stopped in the middle of your lane
> waiting a red light (I know this is extremly rare) then when stopping
> behid him you should stop where you keep him in sight, it's not up to
> him to move.

"Tyres and tarmac": stop such that you can see the tyres of the vehicle
in front as well as some tarmac.

I think this is RoSPA advice. It seems quite sane. Clearly, there may be
times when it should be ignored but that's why the good Lord gave some
of us brains.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:42:08 GMT someone who may be "MrBitsy"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Right, so if the lorry driver does indeed pull up too close, the cyclists
>brain needs to kick into gear - self preservation now takes over from blame.

That assumes that the cyclist can find somewhere to go.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh