Re: PCVs and bigeminy

Bob Cardone

Guest
[email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:

>Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
>"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
>but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
>options?

Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
Doctor say?

Bob

Bob Cardone <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:
>
> >Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
> >"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
> >but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
> >options?

> Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
> Doctor say?
>
> Bob

The consulting caridiologist examined the patient, ran a treadmill
stress test (during which the rhythms returned to "normal" - back to
consistent bigeminy at resting rate), and an echogram (no abnormal
results). Subject wore a monitor for a 24 hr. period. A follow up is
scheduled for next week.

Again, at this point, the bigeminy seems to be the only condition
present. How concerned should I be at this point?

Rev Jimmy

Rev Jimmy wrote:

> Bob Cardone <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
> > >"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
> > >but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
> > >options?

> > Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
> > Doctor say?
> >
> > Bob

> The consulting caridiologist examined the patient, ran a treadmill
> stress test (during which the rhythms returned to "normal" - back to
> consistent bigeminy at resting rate), and an echogram (no abnormal
> results). Subject wore a monitor for a 24 hr. period. A follow up is
> scheduled for next week.
>
> Again, at this point, the bigeminy seems to be the only condition
> present. How concerned should I be at this point?
>
> Rev Jimmy

A normal echocardiogram would be evidence of a structurally normal heart. Most cardiologists would regard the
bigeminy as a benign condition at this point (especially since the rhythm is overrided easily with increased
sinus node activity during treadmill exercise).

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

THERE IS A TEST KNOW AS A T-WAVE ALTERNANS TEST. IF THE HOLTER SHOWS RUNS
NONSUSTAINED V-TACH OR ANYTHING MORE SIGNIFIGANT THAN BIGEMINY HE MIGHT ASK HIS
CARDIOLOGIST ABOUT THIS. THIS TEST HELPS DIFFERENTIATE THOSE PATIENTS AT HIGH
RISK FOR SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH.