Re: PCVs and bigeminy

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bob Cardone, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    [email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:

    >Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
    >"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
    >but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
    >options?

    Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
    Doctor say?

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Rev Jimmy

    Rev Jimmy Guest

    Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
    > >"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
    > >but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
    > >options?

    > Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
    > Doctor say?
    >
    > Bob

    The consulting caridiologist examined the patient, ran a treadmill
    stress test (during which the rhythms returned to "normal" - back to
    consistent bigeminy at resting rate), and an echogram (no abnormal
    results). Subject wore a monitor for a 24 hr. period. A follow up is
    scheduled for next week.

    Again, at this point, the bigeminy seems to be the only condition
    present. How concerned should I be at this point?

    Rev Jimmy

  3. Rev Jimmy wrote:

    > Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Rev Jimmy) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Anyone out there have experience with ventricular bigeminy as a
    > > >"normal" heart rhythm for a 21 year old? It's as regular as can be,
    > > >but seems to be the only manifestation. Any down sides here? Treatment
    > > >options?

    > > Did this 21 year old consult a Cardiologist yet? If so, what did the
    > > Doctor say?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > The consulting caridiologist examined the patient, ran a treadmill
    > stress test (during which the rhythms returned to "normal" - back to
    > consistent bigeminy at resting rate), and an echogram (no abnormal
    > results). Subject wore a monitor for a 24 hr. period. A follow up is
    > scheduled for next week.
    >
    > Again, at this point, the bigeminy seems to be the only condition
    > present. How concerned should I be at this point?
    >
    > Rev Jimmy

    A normal echocardiogram would be evidence of a structurally normal heart. Most cardiologists would regard the
    bigeminy as a benign condition at this point (especially since the rhythm is overrided easily with increased
    sinus node activity during treadmill exercise).

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  4. Complex592

    Complex592 Guest

    THERE IS A TEST KNOW AS A T-WAVE ALTERNANS TEST. IF THE HOLTER SHOWS RUNS
    NONSUSTAINED V-TACH OR ANYTHING MORE SIGNIFIGANT THAN BIGEMINY HE MIGHT ASK HIS
    CARDIOLOGIST ABOUT THIS. THIS TEST HELPS DIFFERENTIATE THOSE PATIENTS AT HIGH
    RISK FOR SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH.