Re-polishing old alloy

Robert Norton

Guest
I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a polish
for this? TIA
Rob N

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:57:18 +0000, Robert Norton wrote:

> I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a polish
> for this? TIA
> Rob N

Solvol Autosol.
If there is some sort of laquer on them, you'll have to remove that first.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura Ace 10

mb wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:57:18 +0000, Robert Norton wrote:
>

>>I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a polish
>>for this? TIA
>>Rob N

> Solvol Autosol.
> If there is some sort of laquer on them, you'll have to remove that first.

as above, but use it with some '000' grade steel wool if it is
particulalry tarnished or scratched

mb wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:57:18 +0000, Robert Norton wrote:
>
>> I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a
>> polish for this? TIA
>> Rob N

> Solvol Autosol.

Or any metal poloish. Autosol is good though.

> If there is some sort of laquer

or anodising

> on them, you'll have to remove that first.

No black mark on cloth when attempting to polish = coated or anodised.

~PB

Pete Whelan wrote:
> mb wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:57:18 +0000, Robert Norton wrote:
>>

>>> I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a
>>> polish for this? TIA
>>> Rob N

>> Solvol Autosol.
>> If there is some sort of laquer on them, you'll have to remove that
>> first.
>>

> as above, but use it with some '000' grade steel wool if it is
> particulalry tarnished or scratched

Not sure about using an abrasive, no matter how fine. When I used to
polish up crank cases on motorbikes I would use Solvol Autosol and rub
it with cardboard. Beautiful shine, lots of work.

Sniper8052

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> Pete Whelan wrote:
>> mb wrote:

>>> Solvol Autosol.
>>> If there is some sort of laquer on them, you'll have to remove that
>>> first.

>> as above, but use it with some '000' grade steel wool if it is
>> particulalry tarnished or scratched

> Not sure about using an abrasive, no matter how fine. When I used to
> polish up crank cases on motorbikes I would use Solvol Autosol and rub
> it with cardboard. Beautiful shine, lots of work.

Autosol is abrasive. Things are polished by replacing big scratches with
little scratches. They look shiny when the scratches are too fine to see by
eye.

When a part is badly scratched, you need quite coarse abrasives to start
with, then progressively finer.

~PB

Robert Norton wrote:
> I'd like to polish up my oldish alloy cranks etc. Anyone know of a polish
> for this? TIA
> Rob N

I have used Brasso Duraglit metal polishing wadding. It is very finely
abrasive and brings up alloy really shiny.