Re: Powder Coated 2005KH24

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Ed Hansen, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Ed Hansen

    Ed Hansen Guest

    I got it back from the powdercoat shop yesterday. It's really pretty.
    A tad darker than I anticipated, but still nice.

    After media-blasting the factory blue away, it got a base coat of
    silver, then a translucent candy purple, then topped with silver flake.
    Here's a link to the pics listed under "Purple"
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wolfhowlmoon

    --
    Ed Hansen - You know you want to be me.

    "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to
    have been only a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in
    now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than
    ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before
    me." (Isaac Newton)
    Ed Hansen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6013

  2. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  3. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  4. karl

    karl Guest

  5. KcTheAcy

    KcTheAcy Guest

    karl wrote:
    > *Looks Totally awesome!! it looks like your noodles are welding on the
    > wrong side???
    >
    > Karl *

    Your right! The frame is not on backwards either, you can tell because
    the noodles are on the same side as the brake mounts.

    That color scheme is very unique, how much does a job like that run?

    --
    KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby

    --Kaycee
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Kaycees-Unicycle-gallery
    KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

  6. Ed Hansen

    Ed Hansen Guest

    The purple was gonna be a tad lighter, but due to the transparncy, he
    wanted to ensure a uniform caoting and laid it on thicker, which is
    fine, so it has three coats, with the 2nd coat thicker than usual,
    meaning it should hold up pretty well to abuse.

    I got the frame, two bearing holders, and the four brake calapers all
    coated for $65. Now I just need to get brakes put on it. I had him use
    "off the shelf" powders, stuff that he had left over from previous jobs.
    If I had been more picky, I could of gone crazy and had him order other
    colors and what-not, but it would have cost an extra $50 bucks or so,
    for the cost of a box of specially ordered powder.

    Oh and yeah, I noticed that the "noodles" were not on the correct side,
    but I can't do any moves that would require their use anyway, so I like
    to think of it as a "Limited Edition" backward uni. Hey, that's not so
    crazy. Years ago, the U.S. Postal Service printed a set of stamps with
    the airplane upside down and now it's worth millions. In a few years,
    my backward noodle MUni will be worth at least $100,000!!! :D

    --
    Ed Hansen - You know you want to be me.

    "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to
    have been only a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in
    now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than
    ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before
    me." (Isaac Newton)
    Ed Hansen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6013

  7. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Ed Hansen wrote:
    > *Oh and yeah, I noticed that the "noodles" were not on the correct
    > side, so I like to think of it as a "Limited Edition" backward uni.
    > In a few years, my backward noodle MUni will be worth at least
    > $100,000!!! :D *

    I'm guessing that more such "Limited Editions" will turn up. Hopefully
    KH and whoever you bought the uni from will see this thread, and have
    some influence on Quality Control.

    The noodle side won't affect my decision to have a KH29 in my future,
    but it sure is nice when manufacturers (or assemblers and retailers)
    _have_a_defined_Process_that_they_follow_Every_Time._

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  8. jagur

    jagur Guest

    Ed Hansen wrote:
    > * Years ago, the U.S. Postal Service printed a set of stamps with the
    > airplane upside down and now it's worth millions. In a few years, my
    > backward noodle MUni will be worth at least $100,000!!! :D *

    its only worth millions if the stamp wasnt ever used and
    canceled......and since you removed the original paint on the KH its
    unlikly that it will be worth as much as the other 500 or whatever that
    ran though the Taiwain frame factory backwards ;)

    --
    jagur - Total Gimp

    obie is an awesome guy and i cant make football pic's
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  9. billham

    billham Guest

    That is very nice. Too nice for me. If I owned that MUni, I'd cry when
    it got it's first scratch. :( My MUni riding style puts lots of marks
    on my KH frame.

    Enjoy your ride!

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  10. billham wrote:
    > *That is very nice. Too nice for me. If I owned that MUni, I'd cry
    > when it got it's first scratch. :( My MUni riding style puts lots
    > of marks on my KH frame.
    >
    > Enjoy your ride!
    >
    > Bill *

    That thing really is pretty. After I painted my Muni and put the flames
    on it, I went to the local art supply company and got some clear plastic
    laminate to cover the fork legs. My Muni has hit the ground quite a few
    times and still remains unscathed ;)

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420