Re: Prolink actually stays, or chain tension doesn't allow squeak?

Joe Faust

Guest
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:36:01 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I used Prolink on my beater chain about 5 months ago. I've ridden it on
>short 1/2 mile trips on a daily basis, with a couple of wet rides. I
>haven't maintained it at all because my current job has distracts me from my
>interest in bikes, and the entire set of inner and outer plates is a nasty
>dry-rust mess at this point. However, there's no chain squeak. This is a
>SS with decently high tension on the chain. I also don't notice any dry
>chain roller "rattle."
>
>Is there no squeak because of the chain tension, or is it because the
>Prolink has actually maintained its lubricating properties?

At first I thought it might be Molybdenum disulfide, however
Molybdenum disulfide is black. "Due to the weak interactions between
the sheets of sulfide atoms, MoS2 has a lubricating effect. Finely
powdered MoS2 with particle sizes in the range of 1-100 µm is a common
dry lubricant. It is also often mixed into various oils and greases,
which allows the mechanisms lubricated by it to keep running for a
while longer, even in cases of almost complete oil loss....."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:22:10 GMT, Joe Faust
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:36:01 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I used Prolink on my beater chain about 5 months ago. I've ridden it on
>>short 1/2 mile trips on a daily basis, with a couple of wet rides. I
>>haven't maintained it at all because my current job has distracts me from my
>>interest in bikes, and the entire set of inner and outer plates is a nasty
>>dry-rust mess at this point. However, there's no chain squeak. This is a
>>SS with decently high tension on the chain. I also don't notice any dry
>>chain roller "rattle."
>>
>>Is there no squeak because of the chain tension, or is it because the
>>Prolink has actually maintained its lubricating properties?

>At first I thought it might be Molybdenum disulfide . . .

[snip]

Dear Joe,

"Contains no plastic particles, PTFE resins, molybdenum disulfide, or
any other solids which may cause harmful buildup."

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/MFRconc.html

"It does not build up or become tacky because it contains no solids
like Teflon, wax, moly, graphite or plastic."
^^^^

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel