Re: Proof that Merckx wasn't the greatest

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Guest
MagillaGorilla wrote:
>> Steve

> The fastest aircraft ever produced by the US was the X-15 back in the
> 1960's. Does that mean that the planes back then were just as good as
> the ones today or that we couldn't build one faster today iif we really
> wanted to?
>
> Salazar was 1980's and few could run a 2:08. But now, tons of guys can
> do it.

Yeah, tons of guys.
Well, the marathon isn't a track event, so I guess you win this one,
big guy!

> Also, the marathon has no significant increased depth of competition
> from Americans or Europenas in the last 20 years because there's no
> money in that sport and it's super-hard. You could kill yourself to the
> equivalent of a Pro Tour cyclist in the marathon and not even make
> $15,000/year. Only a handful of guys make good money in the marathon. So
> there's no point in even ding it unless you're one of the top 10 in the
> world.

No, but obviously there is greater depth internationally, esp. with the
East Africans. This is an area where obviously increasing participation
has improved the depth of the field, even if the WR is improved only
incrementally.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS