Re: Protein / Fats/ Carbs relative to bodyweight

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by elzinator, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Bully wrote:
    > Bob the Builder wrote:
    > > Quite. That's my experience too. I have noticed that eating more
    > > protein after a very hard weight training session or climbing

    session
    > > with screaming quads has a definite muscle building effect almost
    > > immediatly. However, even a slight cessation of the increased
    > > protein intake leads to a loss of much of that muscle. IMO and
    > > experience of 20 years weight training, you have to be obsessively
    > > dedicated to be a ripped up AND muscular. It's just not the way

    the
    > > human form is meant to be.
    > > My opinions - not medical facts and I am sure others would

    disagree.

    wrote:

> [...]

    than

    either

    levels).

    who

    requirements

    probably

    > >> I don't know of any studies that have specifically addressed that
    > >> issue. But think of it in these terms: we are usually discussing

    net
    > >> muscle protein *accretion*. In doing so, we are talking about
    > >> countervailing processes which are occurring constantly: muscle
    > >> protein synthesis and muscle protein breakdown. Folks seem to

    forget
    > >> about the latter. When you have "plateaued" at a certain level of
    > >> muscular hypertrophy, your muscle protein accretion may slow to a
    > >> standstill, but you still need a shitload of circulating amino

    acids
    > >> just to maintain that muscle in the face of ongoing muscle protein
    > >> breakdown. And I don't know, but I strongly suspect, that muscle
    > >> protein breakdown occurs at a higher rate as skeletal muscle

    tissue
    > >> increases. In other words, higher dietary protein intake is

    needed
    > >> for novices who are seeking to improve muscle protein accretion,

    but
    > >> it's also needed for experienced strength trainers with

    substantial
    > >> muscular hypertrophy just to stay ahead of muscle protein

    breakdown.

    > >> Of course, insulin and other factors help to slow muscle protein
    > >> breakdown, but you still need a lot of circulating amino acids.
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> JMW
    > >> http://www.rustyiron.net

    > I do doubt somehow that after "a slight cessation of the increased
    >protein intake" you really do "lose *much* of that muscle"

    It depends on several things. The body adapts to most anything, but
    there is a relative baseline. That baseline, or steady state, of
    protein turnover (synthesis = breakdown)is relative to the demands on
    the interacting systems. When protein turnover is high, say during
    elevated degradation in chronic high-intensity or high-volume training,
    the baseline adjusts to a higher point as long as substrate is
    non-limiting. When training is reduced, that baseline re-adjusts to a
    lower state reflecting the demands. The body is more efficient than we
    give credit.

    Remember that the effects and end result vary according to acute and
    chronic training and diet. Athletes who train chronically are more
    efficient at protein turnonver than those who do not train chronically
    (including newbies).

    An athlete carrying a higher amount of muscle mass than the average
    person does not require a high intake of protein during short periods
    of light-training or de-training because the body is efficient at
    maintaining a relatively high baseline of protein homeostasis. Over
    time, of course, that baseline creeps downward due to the cessation of
    stimulus. (de-training and muscle loss starts ~10 days after cessation
    of training)Without that stimulus, an athlete can not maintain the same
    amount of muscle mass, protein or no protein.