Re: published helmet research - not troll

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:04:19 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <7AiBc.85246$Sw.42132@attbi_s51>:
>
> >The helmet research I've seen so far is junk--it focuses on population
> >statistics not physics, and is motivated to social change not truth.

> For varying values of "junk" - small scale prospectiuve studies are
> certainly prone to error, but whole population evidence is harder to
> ignore. That's what proved the link between smoking and cancer.

It's not the same thing. Different helmet designs are going to have
different effects. Those statistics completely ignore that factor. And
people who wear helmets might be more cautious anyway, or less skillful,
which would distort the statistic one way or the other. Without a
cause-effect analysis, the statistics--on both sides of the argument--are
worthless junk. With the social agenda bias in either direction they should
be ignored.

> >If researchers really cared about the truth of the matter, they would

take
> >some of this casual analysis and more and begin formulating good models

for
> >this so they'd have more to go by than mere emergency room statistics,

and
> >also have a means of specifying better helmets. Maybe the manufacturers

do
> >this, I don't know.

> The manufacturers don't care a damn as far as I can tell. They have
> pushed through lower standards and it's almost impossible to find a
> helmet made to Snell B95.

Snell B95 isn't the standard. The right standard is a good physical model
built from causal analysis and experiment.

Most manufacturers probably make what they think they can sell instead of
making the best they can create. Since the public is largely uncritical and
apathetic to real science, and many businessmen are cynical and deaf to the
better part of the public (which I think can be successfully appealed to),
some or all of the manufacturers may not bother with the verifiable and
instead come up with designs that are good enough to make a buck off of or
that are pretty or mainly designed for comfort--the aspects of design that
most people can relate to.

If I'm being overly harsh then point me to the manufacturer who has a good
research paper published on this topic.

Shayne Wissler

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shayne Wissler wrote:
>
> > The helmet research I've seen so far is junk--it focuses on population
> > statistics not physics, and is motivated to social change not truth.
> >
> > If researchers really cared about the truth of the matter, they would

take
> > some of this casual analysis and more and begin formulating good models

for
> > this so they'd have more to go by than mere emergency room statistics,

and
> > also have a means of specifying better helmets. Maybe the manufacturers

do
> > this, I don't know.

> I seriously doubt the manufacturers do anything that won't improve their
> bottom line!
>
> Of course, they can improve their bottom line by giving money to Snell,
> which can give money to Safe Kids Inc. and various lobbyists, who can
> lobby legislators to mandate their products, whether or not they work!

A good example of how the current form of government distorts what should be
a free market.

> But manufacturers charge over $150 for gossamer-thin racing helmets that
> have significantly less impact protection than average bike helmets,
> while still (barely) passing the test standards.
>
> Clearly, they're not in the protection business; they're in the business
> of selling helmets.

Assuming a free market, it would be in a helmet manufacturers best interest
to be in the business of both, for the same reasons. In the current
mixed-economy it still makes sense for a helmet manufacturer to be
principally concerned with the performance of the helmet and to let profits
flow from that--it's the only honest way, and it in fact still could lead to
becoming a market leader.

Shayne Wissler

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:13:03 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
<zAjBc.81468$HG.13644@attbi_s53>:

>> For varying values of "junk" - small scale prospectiuve studies are
>> certainly prone to error, but whole population evidence is harder to
>> ignore. That's what proved the link between smoking and cancer.

>It's not the same thing. Different helmet designs are going to have
>different effects. Those statistics completely ignore that factor. And
>people who wear helmets might be more cautious anyway, or less skillful,
>which would distort the statistic one way or the other. Without a
>cause-effect analysis, the statistics--on both sides of the argument--are
>worthless junk. With the social agenda bias in either direction they should
>be ignored.

For varying values of "worthless" :-D

Fundamentally, we agree: the science at present is poor. It lumps
riding round the park with extreme downhill and trundling to the
corner shop with RAAM. The only thing I can see from the
whole-population stats is that focusing on helmets is probably a wste
of time, since risk lowest where helmet use is lowest and highest
where helemt use is highest, so helmets don't seem to be a good
candidate if you want to find the best thing to make cycling safer.

Numbers cycling, on the other hand, correlates well with improving
safety. I don't suggest that the relationship is necessarily causal,
but there are plausible mechanisms by which it could be. I think
promoting cycling is a much better bet if you want to improve safety.
But then, I'm a cyclist - I would say that, woudln't I?

>> The manufacturers don't care a damn as far as I can tell. They have
>> pushed through lower standards and it's almost impossible to find a
>> helmet made to Snell B95.

>Snell B95 isn't the standard. The right standard is a good physical model
>built from causal analysis and experiment.

True enough. There isn't one. Snell is nearer that than EN1078 or
CPSC certification though.

>Most manufacturers probably make what they think they can sell instead of
>making the best they can create. Since the public is largely uncritical and
>apathetic to real science, and many businessmen are cynical and deaf to the
>better part of the public (which I think can be successfully appealed to),
>some or all of the manufacturers may not bother with the verifiable and
>instead come up with designs that are good enough to make a buck off of or
>that are pretty or mainly designed for comfort--the aspects of design that
>most people can relate to.

I entirely agree.

>If I'm being overly harsh then point me to the manufacturer who has a good
>research paper published on this topic.

Bell fund the Safe Kids campaign - does that count? Thought not.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:17:39 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
<TEjBc.149003$Ly.90993@attbi_s01>:

>Assuming a free market, it would be in a helmet manufacturers best interest
>to be in the business of both, for the same reasons. In the current
>mixed-economy it still makes sense for a helmet manufacturer to be
>principally concerned with the performance of the helmet and to let profits
>flow from that--it's the only honest way, and it in fact still could lead to
>becoming a market leader.

Why bother when you can use dodgy statistics and emotional blackmail
to coerce the government into mandating the existing, flawed product?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:17:39 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <TEjBc.149003$Ly.90993@attbi_s01>:
>
> >Assuming a free market, it would be in a helmet manufacturers best

interest
> >to be in the business of both, for the same reasons. In the current
> >mixed-economy it still makes sense for a helmet manufacturer to be
> >principally concerned with the performance of the helmet and to let

profits
> >flow from that--it's the only honest way, and it in fact still could lead

> >becoming a market leader.

> Why bother when you can use dodgy statistics and emotional blackmail
> to coerce the government into mandating the existing, flawed product?

Because it's a whole lot more fun and rewarding to create a great product
and succeed because of its merits than it is to invent schemes for tricking
people into giving you their money.

Shayne Wissler

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
<U4kBc.123595$3x.53424@attbi_s54>:

>> Why bother when you can use dodgy statistics and emotional blackmail
>> to coerce the government into mandating the existing, flawed product?

>Because it's a whole lot more fun and rewarding to create a great product
>and succeed because of its merits than it is to invent schemes for tricking
>people into giving you their money.

That only works for niche manufacturers like recumbent makers. For
Bell the shareholders don't give a damn about fun, they just want
their money. That's one of the reasons I generally support small
businesses when I have the option - they are much closer to their
customers and much more likely to be motivated by genuine enthusiasm
for the product.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:23:42 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:31:00 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Mandatory inspection makes a lot more sense to me than
>>>mandatory CPSC regs such as reflectorized pedals.

>> Who and how many people would this help? In talking about public
>> policy, you've got to ask what is the benefit and what is the cost? I
>> see benefit for an extremely small amount of people and cost for an
>> extremely large number of people. So I don't understand the point of
>> this suggestion.
>>
>> JT

> I don't know the answer to this. One might think that self-interest
>would make automobile inspections unnecessary as well--maybe you agree.
> But if you don't, I do not see a fundamental difference in principle.

The difference is that there are huge numbers of people injured in
automoblies and by automobiles every year in the US. Unsafe autos are
a threat not only to the dirivers but to other road users, pedestrians
etc. There is a big cost to society by injuries caused by autos. And
there is also the issue of potential for more pollution by uninspected
autos.

Is there a big problem in the US with accidents to riders of
uninspected bikes? Is there a big problem for other road users caused
by uninspected bikes? I don't think so, but if there is, then what
you suggest makes sense. If not, think of the high costs and low
benefit.

JT

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:38:51 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>

>>Let me see if I get this straight. All the studies showing a benefit
>>have fatal flaws; all the studies that show no benefit are well-designed.

> Not necessarily.
>
> There are, as I said, essentially two sorts of study. Small-scale
> prospective studies, of which the 1989 Thompson, Rivara and Thompson
> is the best-known; these show unequivocal benefit and large scale
> savings in injuries. Then there are population-level studies, which
> are equivocal. They show no measurable bnefit. They show lots of
> confounding factors.
>
> I have seen rebuttals of all the major pro-helmet papers. Most of
> these rebuttals are valid, like the criticism of the control group in
> TR&T which effectively makes the whole thing worthless. I have yet to
> see any rebuttal of a population-level study. I do read everything I
> can find, and I was originally strongly pro-helmet and in favour of
> compulsion for children.
>
> One of the key factors in changing my view was the fact that I had no
> idea the population level studies even existed. Helmet promoters were
> telling me that helmets save 85% of head injuries and 88% of brain
> injuries, stated as fact, but then I found that even the original
> authors had revised these estimates downwards, and that the figures
> were well known to be unreliable. It's like the business of WMD: as
> the lies start to be exposed, you have to question whether there is
> any basis of truth at all.

Well, this is a different issue. I am concerned with whether the
safety studies are flawed. Intent is not an insignificant issue, but
I'm not really concerned with that for the purposes of this discussion.
Certainly if these studies were funded by the helmet manufacturers it
casts things in a different light.

> Actually the real position is probably that helmets prevent most
> trivial injuries and very few serious ones. There is a probably
> narrow band of cases where helmets may turn a serious injury ionto a
> minor injury, but risk compensation also means that there is another
> band of cases where the crash would not have happened in the first
> place had the rider not been wearing a helmet.

This is something that the anti-helmet partisans continue to repeat,
and I'm not sure what you mean by this. I am inclined to think you're
saying that folks feeling relatively protected will engage in riskier
behavior. I think this is speculative; the same argument the right uses
in this country to attack dispensing of condoms. I've seen plenty of
risky behavior from both helmeted and non-helmeted riders. Of course
this is anecdotal, but I doubt anyone would seriously contend that
people drive more recklessly because they are wearing seat belts.

So overall there are
> solid reasons why, at the population level, where only serious and
> fatal injuries are counted, there would be no visible effect; while at
> the detail level, where all injuries are counted, some effect may be
> seen.
>
> All that, I have no problem with.
>
> I do have a problem with helmet promotion which igniores the
> distinction between different kinds of crash and different kinds of
> injury. The idea that because a helmet saves a cut head it will
> necessarily prevent massive brain trauma when hit by a pseeding truck
> is laughable, but by using a single figure for injury reductions that
> is exactly what the promoters are trying to imply.

I don't doubt that this is done; I personally don't know anyone that
cycles who buys that position though.

> I also have a problem with the excessive focus on helmets. In the
> minds of the medical and legislative communities, wearing a helmet
> seems to be viewed as the first, best thing a cyclist can do to ensure
> their safety. There is no credible evidence to support that
> prioritisation. The only thing which I can think of which has been
> proved everywhere to omprove safety, is more people cycling. So if
> you want cycling to be safer, you have to promote cycling (and good
> cycling skills, obviously). Promoting helmets requires that you build
> the perception of cycling as a hazardous activity, which works against
> that goal.

Again, I think that safety measures in general should promote a healthy
respect for the dangers implicit in any given activity. I would view
effective cycling instruction in the same way. For that matter, one
must demonstrate competence before being licensed to drive a motor
vehicle. In spite of this training many drive with a blatant disregard
to the real dangers.
I feel you are almost certainly right about effective cycling
instruction being more important to safety. For that matter, at least
here in the states a very large proportion of those wearing helmets wear
them incorrectly. One wonders how different the population studies
would be were riders fit properly with helmets.
Another issue is cultural; in the UK, and in Europe and most of the
rest of the world, the bicycle is seen as a legitimate means of
transportation. In the U.S. it is overwhelmingly still seen as a toy.
As a consequence of this, very few cyclists--even those who bicycle for
legitimate transportation follow even basic transportation regulations.
(As an aside, while on a bicycle tour I once rode through a red
traffic signal in London--a transgression for which I was vigorously
chastised by several pedestrians. I didn't do it again.) I assume that
the way increased cycling will improve safety is first that there are
less motor vehicles on the road. Furthermore, I would assume that once
cycling reaches a certain critical mass it will have a political
constituency to effect changes in access, motor vehicle regulations etc.
to improve conditions for cyclists. In the U.S. unfortunately this is a
pipe dream. The only thing I see encouraging increased bicycle use is a
severe and sustained shortage of gasoline.

>>The studies I saw cited are all retrospective studies. I believe it is
>>possible that somewhere a paper may have been published that confuses
>>percentages for percentage points. It is hard to believe this happened
>>multiple times in referreed journals.

> There are recognisable flaws with many of the key papers. You can
> find some good critiques at http://www.cyclehelmets.org and
> http://www.cycle-helmets.com and other places too.
>

>>Let me be clear--I am not an expert in safety data nor in epidemiology.
>>But I am up to my eyeballs in newsgroup pundits (in unrelated fields)
>>making patently ridiculous claims about the body of evidence in fields
>>in which I do have expertise. It is impossible for me to evaluate
>>helmet data for myself, nor have I found it prudent to believe folks
>>such as yourself who may very well have that expertise.

> OK, but some of us are not your garden-variety newsgroup pundits.
> Some of those who post have actually done research. I have analysed
> UK child hospital admissions returns and found that there is no
> significant difference in the proportion of head injuries suffered by
> road cyclists and pedestrians, despite helemt wearing rates only
> around 15%.

Again, I must ask if this pertains to total number of incidents,
proportion of head injuries among total injuries, head injuries per unit
time, etc. This is a complicated issue; I trust that you have looked at
the design of the studies as apparently some of the journals have not.

That doesn't suggest to me that cycling is especially
> dangerous. I work with John Franklin, probably the UK's leading cycle
> safety expert, and I've talked to the people who test helemts against
> the standards. It was they who told me that modern helmets are far
> weaker than those in the TR&T study, and that many helmets fil the
> tests anyway.
>
> These guys have shown me that scepticism is not a contrarian view.
> That's the point. We are no anti-helemt, we are anti-FUD.

Help me out here--this may be a UK expression--what is FUD? And why
would you not be anti-helmet if the evidence is that they aren't useful
in protecting against serious injury?

Someone is
> trying to sell you an expensive product; the manyufacturers can't say
> it will save you if you are hit by a car because they know damn well
> it won't, so they fund studies and they fund groups like Safe Kids and
> they get someone else who won't get sued when you die to tell you that
> helmets are a magic panacea to all cycling injuries.
>

>>One hopes that people in position of authority choose carefully in whom
>>they listen to when policy is made.

> If only. The UK's Department of Transport currently bases its policy
> on an "independent review" written by a team of people all of whom
> work together, and several of whom have published papers calling for
> helmet compulsion. No sceptic was included in the review body. Some
> factual errors have since been removed, but it remains a dogma-driven
> document written by those promoting helmets.
>
> There are three sides, you see: pro-helmet, anti-helmet and sceptic.
> Most cyclists who have read all the facts become sceptics: they make
> up their own minds and think others should also be allowed to do so.
> Newbies tend to be pro-helmet, until they realise that their
> pro-helmet view is largely the result of not being given all the
> facts. The number of anti-helemt people is very small. And I'n not
> one of them. See my website if you are in any doubt of that.
>
> That, of course, is a fundamental problem. Any agnostic who argues
> with a True Believer will end up sounding like an atheist, even though
> they are not.

This of course is true. But unlike religion, this one should be easy
to determine if the will is there.

>>See, I'm going to have to look up that paper. It is very, very
>>difficult for me to believe that NEJM would publish a paper with a flaw
>>that blatant.

> Sure. Just as it is hard to believe that the percentage points
> problem would have got past the peer review process. But what you
> have to remember is that these guys are looking for helmets to work.
> When I was training as an engineer i was told to guard against that.
> The idea of an experiment is to test a hypothesis, not to find data to
> support it. You're supposed to try to disprove, not prove, your
> initial premise. In this case the researchers (funded, unless I've
> been misinformed, by the Snell Insititue) had already decided on the
> outcome before they started.

Well, sure. That's the way it is supposed to be. But drug trials are
not conducted by folks looking for the drugs not to work. Of course,
one cannot do a double-blind study on this. But this is a very serious
charge against the NEJM, and I would have expected to hear about it.

> Anyway, if you have trouble getting a copy, let me known and I'll send
> you a PDF. I can also give you John Franklin's comments on it.

If you have the study at hand, I'd love to get it (just remove nospam
from my address).

Frank Krygowski wrote:
> Shayne Wissler wrote:
>
>> "VC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> "Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> <snip of implication that helmets may increase risk of rotational brain
>> injury>
>>
>>> Not everything is what it seems to be. A helmet may indeed not be so
>>> good for your health.

>> Nice imagination, but do you have any actual reason to believe that
>> helmets
>> increase the rotational forces involved?
>>
>> Casual observation would imply the opposite. Helmets are more slippery
>> than
>> skin...

> I doubt that bike helmets are more slippery than skin - or, more
> properly, skin covered with a good layer of hair. It's been my guess
> that human evolution left hair on the head partly for that reason - to
> reduce the effect of a glancing blow (whether in accident or on combat).
>
> When the hair alone can't handle it, the scalp is pretty easily torn,
> exposing the well-lubricated scalp layers - a messy but effective second
> line of defense.

Scalp injuries can be very risky, esp. if down to the gallea
aponeurotica--there are pretty wide-open venous communications with the
brain.

Steve

> [...]
> asphalt roughness. Perhaps not... but AFAIK, they haven't been tested
> for this. Certainly the standards don't address it.
>
>> ... and they have a larger radius than the skull.

> This causes two effects, one probably beneficial, one probably
> detrimental. On the good side, the speed of the glancing surface
> corresponds to less angular velocity. On the down side, the increased
> moment arm means increased torque to cause angular acceleration. Perhaps
> the effect is a more rapid acceleration for a shorter period of time -
> but again, it hasn't been tested, AFAIK, and it's not addressed in the
> standard.
>
> > Also, the helmet is not

>> as tightly coupled to the head as the skin is...

> Well, tight straps are demanded by the helmet promoters, and it seems to
> me the coupling is enough to induce some serious angular acceleration.
> Scalp skin seems (deliberately?) loose. But again: no testing, no
> standard.
>
>> ... and if the helmet got a large
>> impulse of rotational force from a localized postion on the helmet, it
>> would
>> tend to be ripped apart, damping the force.

> That could certainly help. I wish there were testing or a standard that
> addressed it precisely.
>
> But it's interesting - if this is really what saves a person from
> excessive angular acceleration of the brain, then helmet proponents may
> need a new song. Instead of "My helmet broke, so it saved my life!!!!"
> they may need to say "Thank God my helmet broke, so it didn't kill me!!!"

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:23:42 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>>Who and how many people would this help? In talking about public
>>>policy, you've got to ask what is the benefit and what is the cost? I
>>>see benefit for an extremely small amount of people and cost for an
>>>extremely large number of people. So I don't understand the point of
>>>this suggestion.
>>>
>>>JT

>> I don't know the answer to this. One might think that self-interest
>>would make automobile inspections unnecessary as well--maybe you agree.
>> But if you don't, I do not see a fundamental difference in principle.

> The difference is that there are huge numbers of people injured in
> automoblies and by automobiles every year in the US. Unsafe autos are
> a threat not only to the dirivers but to other road users, pedestrians
> etc. There is a big cost to society by injuries caused by autos. And
> there is also the issue of potential for more pollution by uninspected
> autos.
>
> Is there a big problem in the US with accidents to riders of
> uninspected bikes? Is there a big problem for other road users caused
> by uninspected bikes? I don't think so, but if there is, then what
> you suggest makes sense. If not, think of the high costs and low

Protection coming out of the factory is not the responsibility of the
CPSC. Do they do an adequate job? Is the only criterion the amount of
damage the vehicle could do for others?
I don't have the answers--just thinking.

Steve

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> <snippage>
> This is something that the anti-helmet partisans continue to repeat...

Doesn't this seem a wee bit pejorative to you?

To expect risk compensation to show up on occasion in cyclists when
you have advertising campaigns like Bell's "Courage for your head"
doesn't seem farfetched to me.

"Risk compensation" is a pretty well recognized phenomenon.
It's rational conduct, provided you have an accurate way to gauge
the reduction in risk. If you place excessive value on a safety
device, your decisions will be sub-optimal.

If you put an airbag in the steering wheel, drivers will slightly
raise their borderline when deciding if a risky move is worth
taking. If you replace the airbag with a large steel spike and
remove the seat belts, they will either refuse to drive the car or
will drive it with extreme caution. They would be compensating
for the greatly increased consequences of a crash by attempting to
greatly reduce the probability of a crash.

Let's say you read in the newspaper that helmeted riding is 1/14th
as dangerous as unhelmeted riding, and have no reason to disbelieve
it. Wouldn't you be more willing to ride a bicycle with the helmet
than without it? You might think it too dangerous to ride to the
grocery store without the helmet, but if you could reduce the risk
by 93% by wearing a helmet, you just might use the bike to fetch
that gallon of milk. That's risk compensation.

Mitch.

Mitch Haley wrote:
> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>
>><snippage>
>>This is something that the anti-helmet partisans continue to repeat...

> Doesn't this seem a wee bit pejorative to you?
>

> To expect risk compensation to show up on occasion in cyclists when
> you have advertising campaigns like Bell's "Courage for your head"
> doesn't seem farfetched to me.
>
> "Risk compensation" is a pretty well recognized phenomenon.
> It's rational conduct, provided you have an accurate way to gauge
> the reduction in risk. If you place excessive value on a safety
> device, your decisions will be sub-optimal.
>
> If you put an airbag in the steering wheel, drivers will slightly
> raise their borderline when deciding if a risky move is worth
> taking. If you replace the airbag with a large steel spike and
> remove the seat belts, they will either refuse to drive the car or
> will drive it with extreme caution. They would be compensating
> for the greatly increased consequences of a crash by attempting to
> greatly reduce the probability of a crash.
>
> Let's say you read in the newspaper that helmeted riding is 1/14th
> as dangerous as unhelmeted riding, and have no reason to disbelieve
> it. Wouldn't you be more willing to ride a bicycle with the helmet
> than without it? You might think it too dangerous to ride to the
> grocery store without the helmet, but if you could reduce the risk
> by 93% by wearing a helmet, you just might use the bike to fetch
> that gallon of milk. That's risk compensation.
>
> Mitch.

I can't speak for you. No, I think that I am significantly risk averse
that if I can keep my risk to a minimum I will. Of course if one is
already engaging in an activity which is obviously risky (say downhill
racing) it is possible that someone who otherwise might not engage in
the activity could feel sufficiently protected to consider it where
otherwise he/she would not. But I doubt that anyone afraid to bicycle
to the corner grocery for milk will be emboldened by a helmet.
But if you are going to posit this as an actual phenomenon, you should
be able to demonstrate it. That wouldn't be very easy to do.

Steve

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:31:22 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Protection coming out of the factory is not the responsibility of the
>CPSC. Do they do an adequate job? Is the only criterion the amount of
>damage the vehicle could do for others?
> I don't have the answers--just thinking.

Think about this -- if for some reason you think it's important to
somehow protect cyclists with mandatory inspections and rules, why
don't you also consider the dozens or hundres of other activities that
are at least as dangerous and suggest intervention in them too. Of the
top of my head I suggest looking into wearing helmets on buses and
trains, more inspection of food in restaurants for sharp objects, more
acitive inspection of sidewalks, inspections of high-heel shoes (or
perhaps licensing) to deal with hurt ankles. These are other things
that will certainly help a few people who might be injured, right?

JT.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:31:22 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Protection coming out of the factory is not the responsibility of the
>>CPSC. Do they do an adequate job? Is the only criterion the amount of
>>damage the vehicle could do for others?
>> I don't have the answers--just thinking.

> Think about this -- if for some reason you think it's important to
> somehow protect cyclists with mandatory inspections and rules, why
> don't you also consider the dozens or hundres of other activities that
> are at least as dangerous and suggest intervention in them too. Of the
> top of my head I suggest looking into wearing helmets on buses and
> trains, more inspection of food in restaurants for sharp objects, more
> acitive inspection of sidewalks, inspections of high-heel shoes (or
> perhaps licensing) to deal with hurt ankles. These are other things
> that will certainly help a few people who might be injured, right?
>
> JT.

Not to be facetious--some of these are already being done, with mixed
results. Certainly you know the sorry history of the inspectors for the
NYC Depts. of Health and the buildings department.
What you are saying is that cycling is not significantly risky, and if
this is your belief you are certainly right to believe regulation is
unnecessary. But if you agree (as I do) that cycling is not taken
seriously in this city and country, is this an issue to you? And if it
is, what do you think could change this?

Steve

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:29:14 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Z.)
wrote:

>I've no idea about Australia or NZ, but maybe
> the law was actually enforced there. It
>sure hasn't been where I live.

I live in New Zealand and have cycled here over the period during
which the helmet laws were introduced, so perhaps my observations on
this subject may be of interest.

The helmet laws are enforced sporadically. However the more usual
police attention is extended towards those cyclists not using lights.
There is usally a blitz at the start of winter. But generally the
police are overworked and understaffed so have better things to do
than slap tickets on miscreant cyclists. Nevertheless the helmet law
in NZ is well entrenched. We still get the school students wearing
them on their handlebars syndrome, but most people just accept helmet
wearing as part of cycling life. The adults that don't wear helmets
are usually those that don't obey the other road rules either.

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

--

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:13:44 -0700, Peter <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The 30% or so drop in ridership when surveys were done in NZ and
>Australia just before and after helmet laws went into effect would seem
>to be one good reason. I didn't keep any statistics at the schools I
>observed, but there was a similar drop.

I can't speak for Australia, but here in NZ there were other
socioeconomic reasons that don't get reflected in the bare statistics
that have lead to the decline of bicycle riding over the last twenty
or so years.

Twenty plus years ago there was a thriving local car assembly
industry, sustained by high tariffs on fully imported cars. These
tariffs have now gone and so has the car assembly industry with the
result that cars are now a lot cheaper to buy. Coupled with the
removal of tariffs was the arrival of built up second hand Japanese
import cars which meant that lower prices took almost no time to
trickle down through the entire car market. The motorcycle market
took the biggest hit with motorcycles becoming almost extinct. The
motorcycle helmet law preceded the push bike helmet law by several
years, so I don't think you could say the decline in motorcycle use
was in response to the introduction of a motorcycle helmet law.

Also car reliability and better rust protection has resulted in many
'old' cars being avialable as cheap reliable transport instead of the
'cheap unrelaible transport' they were before. In addition the
running costs of cars in NZ became much lower in real terms with the
relative declind in petrol prices vis a vis the late 1970s.

The early 1980s was was also a time of great deregulation in the
retail industry. Suddenly there was a lot more casual work available
with shops for the first time being allowed to open on Saturdays and
Sundays. This also co-incided with reduction in student allowances
for tertiary study and the introduction of student fees. In other
words there was greater incentive for the 'bike riding demographic' to
take up part time work and more work available for them to take up.
Many employers don't take kindly to employees arriving in a sweat with
chain grease on their skirt. Also there was the question of a tyranny
of distance between institutions of study and where the jobs are.
And many part time jobs finish late at night. With a general
perception that society is becoming 'less safe' some parents would
rather pay for their kid's car than get them to ride a bike. So
suddenly for many students the luxury of a car became a near
necessity. And yes the same can be said for senior high school
students now too.

What I have just stated in not definitive proof of anything. But I
do want to suggest that correlating cycle use with the introduction of
cycle helmet laws is not just the statistical exercise it might appear
to be.

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

--

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:14:41 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]>:

>> One of the key factors in changing my view was the fact that I had no
>> idea the population level studies even existed. Helmet promoters were
>> telling me that helmets save 85% of head injuries and 88% of brain
>> injuries, stated as fact, but then I found that even the original
>> authors had revised these estimates downwards

>Well, this is a different issue. I am concerned with whether the
>safety studies are flawed. Intent is not an insignificant issue, but
>I'm not really concerned with that for the purposes of this discussion.
> Certainly if these studies were funded by the helmet manufacturers it
>casts things in a different light.

Anything with the Safe Kids logo is tainted by Bell sponsorship.

But that's not really the issue; the issue is that those who promote
helmets, don't admit that there is acontrary view. Over here
charities are not supposed to present one side of an argument as if it
were the only side, but the helmet charity do. Bell must be laghing
up their sleeve to see chairities raising money to do their sales work
for them using claims they cannot make because of laws on claims made
in advertising!

>> Actually the real position is probably that helmets prevent most
>> trivial injuries and very few serious ones. There is a probably
>> narrow band of cases where helmets may turn a serious injury ionto a
>> minor injury, but risk compensation also means that there is another
>> band of cases where the crash would not have happened in the first
>> place had the rider not been wearing a helmet.

>This is something that the anti-helmet partisans continue to repeat,

Who are the anti-helmet partisans? How many have you come across to
date? I've met maybe two people who are anti helmet. The balance are
sceptical or pro-helmet. Most pro-helmet soon become sceptical.

>and I'm not sure what you mean by this. I am inclined to think you're
>saying that folks feeling relatively protected will engage in riskier
>behavior. I think this is speculative; the same argument the right uses
>in this country to attack dispensing of condoms. I've seen plenty of
>risky behavior from both helmeted and non-helmeted riders. Of course
>this is anecdotal, but I doubt anyone would seriously contend that
>people drive more recklessly because they are wearing seat belts.

Here you are wrong: not only do people contend this, it is actually a
mainstream view. Taxi drivers in Germany and Denmark were found to
drive more aggressively in cars fitted with ABS. Drivers who did not
habitually wear seat belts were found to drive faster when persuaded
to wear seat belts. Seat belt legislation has never resulted ina
reduciton in road deaths, but it did lead to the biggest recorded
increase in pedestrian, cyclist and rear-seat passenger deaths in the
UK. The arrival in the second-hand market of the first generation of
cars with drivers' airbags has seen a sharp rise in fatalities of
front seat passengers of young male drivers.

A good book on the subject is Risk by John Adams.

>> I do have a problem with helmet promotion which igniores the
>> distinction between different kinds of crash and different kinds of
>> injury. The idea that because a helmet saves a cut head it will
>> necessarily prevent massive brain trauma when hit by a pseeding truck
>> is laughable, but by using a single figure for injury reductions that
>> is exactly what the promoters are trying to imply.

>I don't doubt that this is done; I personally don't know anyone that
>cycles who buys that position though.

If you repeatedly tell a 14-year-old that helmets prevent 85% of head
injuries and 88% of brain injuries, what will be the effect on their
riding?

>I think that safety measures in general should promote a healthy
>respect for the dangers implicit in any given activity.

But the dangers in cycling are low.

> I would view
>effective cycling instruction in the same way. For that matter, one
>must demonstrate competence before being licensed to drive a motor
>vehicle. In spite of this training many drive with a blatant disregard
>to the real dangers.

Because the danger is not to them, or at least they get all the
benefit of the aggressive driving and only part of the risk..

>I feel you are almost certainly right about effective cycling
>instruction being more important to safety. For that matter, at least
>here in the states a very large proportion of those wearing helmets wear
>them incorrectly. One wonders how different the population studies
>would be were riders fit properly with helmets.

Hard to say; since up to 96% of hemets are not worn correctly that
suggests the problem may be with the helmets not the wearers. I've
twice found people wearing the blessed things back to front!

>Another issue is cultural; in the UK, and in Europe and most of the
>rest of the world, the bicycle is seen as a legitimate means of
>transportation. In the U.S. it is overwhelmingly still seen as a toy.
>As a consequence of this, very few cyclists--even those who bicycle for
>legitimate transportation follow even basic transportation regulations.

A great reason to challenge that failing :)

> (As an aside, while on a bicycle tour I once rode through a red
>traffic signal in London--a transgression for which I was vigorously
>chastised by several pedestrians. I didn't do it again.)

Heh! Red lights are treated as "give way" by all comers, motorised
and cycling, in London :)

>I assume that
>the way increased cycling will improve safety is first that there are
>less motor vehicles on the road.

- drivers see more cyclists so are expecting them
- drivers are more likely to be cyclists and know how to behave around
them

>Furthermore, I would assume that once
>cycling reaches a certain critical mass it will have a political
>constituency to effect changes in access, motor vehicle regulations etc.

No, I don't think so. There's no money in it.

>> I have analysed
>> UK child hospital admissions returns and found that there is no
>> significant difference in the proportion of head injuries suffered by
>> road cyclists and pedestrians, despite helemt wearing rates only
>> around 15%.

>Again, I must ask if this pertains to total number of incidents,
>proportion of head injuries among total injuries, head injuries per unit
>time, etc. This is a complicated issue; I trust that you have looked at
>the design of the studies as apparently some of the journals have not.

That's why I stated the figures as I did. Cyclists admissions 49%
head injury, pedestrians 46% head injury, 15% helmet wearing rate.
So: cyclists and pedestrians suffer roughly the same proportion of
head injuries. The ratio is pretty much unchanged with helmet use.
By comparing the ratio you normlaise out exposure. You can do similar
calculations with severity ratios and show that the proportion of
cyclist inuries which are severe are unaffected by helmet use.

By contrast, Liddites claim "head injuries fell in Australia following
the law" which is literally true, but they fell by less than the fall
in the number of cyclists.

Look at graph 2 here: http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/bhacc.htm

>Help me out here--this may be a UK expression--what is FUD? And why
>would you not be anti-helmet if the evidence is that they aren't useful
>in protecting against serious injury?

FUD is a very American expression: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt :)

I am not anti helmet because I think they can prevent many
uncomfortable minor injuries. I am not against mountain bikers
wearing shin pads or elbow pads, or unicyclists wearing wrist guards.
I don't think these things should be mandated or even officially
promoted. They are there, use them if you want.

>> That, of course, is a fundamental problem. Any agnostic who argues
>> with a True Believer will end up sounding like an atheist, even though
>> they are not.

>This of course is true. But unlike religion, this one should be easy
>to determine if the will is there.

So it seems to me. When I read the balance of the evidence I
certainly came to that view :)

>> You're supposed to try to disprove, not prove, your
>> initial premise. In this case the researchers [...] decided on the
>> outcome before they started.

>Well, sure. That's the way it is supposed to be. But drug trials are
>not conducted by folks looking for the drugs not to work. Of course,
>one cannot do a double-blind study on this. But this is a very serious
>charge against the NEJM, and I would have expected to hear about it.

It's not a particularly serious charge against them, actually; it's a
study with an error in it. It happens all the time. It is an
indictmentof their peer review process, though. But not as bad as the
Cook & Sheikh paper in Injury Prevention.

>> Actuarial data relies on long-term trends and large data
>> sets. In this case it looks more like a kneejerk reaction to asingle
>> incident. As those who follow pro racing know only too well, the
>> mandatory use of helmets has not stopped racing cyclists from dying of
>> head injuries. The numbers are in any case too small for robust
>> statistical comparisons to be made.

>It was, IIRC, not based upon any one incident. The USOC had lost all
>of its liability coverage; the racing season was delayed while another
>policy could be found. This one was hammered out de novo.

The fact remains that it was probably due more to the prejudices of
the underwriter than any sound actuarial judgement.

>Come on! That's a little like saying driving a car isn't
>dangerous--it's those darned OTHER drivers who keep crashing into me! ;-)

Not at all. Motor traffic is responsible for 10% of child hospital
admissions in the uk but 50% of fatalities. Offroad cycling accounts
for 90% of all cycling activity but only half of hospital admissions.

Cars are dangerous to others in a way that bikes are not.

> Well, as you say, there's cycling, and then there's cycling. I made a
>decision after a serious crash in my first year racing that I was
>finished. It's a bargain you make with yourself--I won't race again and
> THEN I'll be safe. I was not spared a head injury by my helmet, but I
>probably saved myself having my eyes cut up by the broken glass I fell into.

Sure. I don't do technical downhill - too risky. I fact the kind of
riding I do it's very unlikely a helmet would ever be of benefit, not
least because I ride with my **** a foot off the ground :)

>Now, this is likewise the kind of statistic that bothers me. I am
>assuming that you are speaking of cardiovascular risk. OK. But the
>choice should not be cycling vs. couch potato. I have never seen a
>study actually pretend to predict life extension based on a particular
>volume of cardiovascular exercise anyway. However, for those who cycle
>for fitness instead of purely for transportation (as I do) one cannot
>assume that someone who stops cycling will do no other aerobic exercise.
> There are other confounding factors, such as that those who bicycle or
>do other forms of aerobic exercise are less likely to smoke. I have
>seen studies that attempt to correct for this, but they are mostly fantasy.

Sure - but the message is sound. Cyclists live longer than average;
this would not be possible if cycling were extraordinarily dangerous.

>> These are the proportions of all admissions which are due to head
>> injury. So, if you have a bike crash, you are not markedly more
>> likely to suffer head injury than if you are hit as a pedestrian.

> This assumes that the total number of person-hours spent cycling is
>roughly equivalent to the total number of person-hours spent as a
>pedestrian.

No it doesn't, because it compares like with like. You have already
been injured: is your injury more likely to be a head injury if you
are a cyclist? Answer, not really. Are you more likely to be injured
per se as a cyclist? Probably not, inless there is a motor vehicle
involved.

>> The risk levels comparison: 10% of cycling is on road, 90% off road.

> This is a simply amazing statistic. In the U.S. even most mountain
>bikes are never ridden off road.

Includes bike paths and trails. You might be surprised :)

>So what would you change? As you've pointed out, cars are heavily
>regulated because of the greater danger. The industry is more powerful
>economically and politically. So what would be the focus of improving
>bicycle safety vis a vis automobiles?

First, enforce traffic regulations (for all road users) inna zero
tolerance stylee. Second,make sure that quality bike training is
available for all. And third, make sure that anybody who drives badly
gets a chance to find out how the other half live as they do without
their license for a while.

> Thanks for your interesting and thorough discussion. This is obviously
>an important issue for you. The issue of helmet mandates is frankly
>unimportant to me. What is important is the truth regarding helmets and
>bicycle safety, for myself and my family. As someone who has been
>permanently injured in crashes I'm sure it is something on which we both
>can agree

It is a matter of life and death, literally. I spend between one and
two hours every weekday riding my bike on the roads, and I have kids.
I cannot afford not to take an interest :)

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:35:47 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Not to be facetious--some of these are already being done, with mixed
>>results. Certainly you know the sorry history of the inspectors for the
>>NYC Depts. of Health and the buildings department.

> I have no particular knowledge or opinion on that, but if you seem to
> think that public health inspections don't got well, it's strange that
> you would want to bring inspections into cycling.
>

>>What you are saying is that cycling is not significantly risky, and if
>>this is your belief you are certainly right to believe regulation is
>>unnecessary. But if you agree (as I do) that cycling is not taken
>>seriously in this city and country, is this an issue to you?

>> And if it
>>is, what do you think could change this?

> It's an issue because a focus on helmets is anti-cycling. And safety
> inspections, given a lack of any significant problem in this area is
> anti-cycling. They are actions that cost money with little benefit.
> They make people think that bikes are dangerous. They will likely
> discourage people from cycling.
>
> That's my problem with your various suggestions. Who are you trying to
> help? Why is cycling so special that it demands this sort of
> (negative attention)? What makes you believe that it is so dangerous
> or injuries are so widespread that action is needed? Particularly
> when the big dangers to cyclists are our extremely car-oriented
> society? I just don't understand what you have against cycling or
> why. Is it something about your own injury?
>
> JT

No, counselor. A simple "I don't think there's a problem here" would
have been sufficient. I never said I thought that action was needed.
I only suggested to those who opposed mandatory helmets by saying that
other measures were more important to safety that their objections had
more to do with freedom to choose than it did to the efficacy of helmets.

Steve