Re: pvc tubing as threadless headset spacer

Werehatrack

Guest
On 1 Apr 2005 04:55:16 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Hello fellow list mates,
>
>Has anyone successfully used PVC plumbing tubing as a spacer for a
>headset? The fork tube is too long and I do not want to cut it because
>I believe that I would have trouble reinserting the star fangled nut.
>My thinking is that if I use the PVC tubing above the stem, the stem
>will hold everything together and there will be no pressure on the PVC
>tubing.
>
>What I want to do, is use the PVC tubing below the stem and
>consequently there would be pressure. Anybody have experience with
>that? Thank you very much.

It's much too compressible. I wouldn't even try this.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2005 04:55:16 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Hello fellow list mates,
> >
> >Has anyone successfully used PVC plumbing tubing as a spacer for a
> >headset? The fork tube is too long and I do not want to cut it

because
> >I believe that I would have trouble reinserting the star fangled

nut.
> >My thinking is that if I use the PVC tubing above the stem, the stem
> >will hold everything together and there will be no pressure on the

PVC
> >tubing.
> >
> >What I want to do, is use the PVC tubing below the stem and
> >consequently there would be pressure. Anybody have experience with
> >that? Thank you very much.

> It's much too compressible. I wouldn't even try this.

I dunno, I'd try it -- if I was desperate. What's the worst thing that
could happen? Loose headset?

On 4 Apr 2005 10:25:08 -0700, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> On 1 Apr 2005 04:55:16 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >Has anyone successfully used PVC plumbing tubing as a spacer for a
>> >headset?

>> It's much too compressible. I wouldn't even try this.

>I dunno, I'd try it -- if I was desperate. What's the worst thing that
>could happen? Loose headset?

That's about all, but it's annoying enough in my opinion. Of course,
the spacers are really not under a lot of tension since the weight of
the bike and rider is borne by the lower bearing, but I'd still be
leery of doing it. On the other hand, like you, in desperation when
the situation amounted to "improvise or walk", I'd probably think
about that as a possibility if the materials were at hand. By the
same token, though, in my case, I'd probably be able to scare up
something a little more rigid from the pile of junk in the garage.
One must, in such a situation, work with what exists. (Do not inquire
about what I used as the substitute for a fuse in a DC-AC converter
this past weekend on a road trip; suffice it to say that the device
survived and the assigned task was completed as a result.)
--

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2005 10:25:08 -0700, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>> Werehatrack wrote:

>>> It's much too compressible. I wouldn't even try this.

>> I dunno, I'd try it -- if I was desperate. What's the worst thing
>> that could happen? Loose headset?

> That's about all, but it's annoying enough in my opinion. Of course,
> the spacers are really not under a lot of tension since the weight of
> the bike and rider is borne by the lower bearing, but I'd still be
> leery of doing it. On the other hand, like you, in desperation when
> the situation amounted to "improvise or walk", I'd probably think
> about that as a possibility if the materials were at hand. By the
> same token, though, in my case, I'd probably be able to scare up
> something a little more rigid from the pile of junk in the garage.
> One must, in such a situation, work with what exists. (Do not inquire
> about what I used as the substitute for a fuse in a DC-AC converter
> this past weekend on a road trip; suffice it to say that the device
> survived and the assigned task was completed as a result.)

Paperclip? Staple? Spoke?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> writes:

> Werehatrack wrote:
>> On 4 Apr 2005 10:25:08 -0700, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> I dunno, I'd try it -- if I was desperate. What's the worst thing
>>> that could happen? Loose headset?

>> That's about all, but it's annoying enough in my opinion. Of course,
>> the spacers are really not under a lot of tension since the weight of
>> the bike and rider is borne by the lower bearing, but I'd still be
>> leery of doing it. On the other hand, like you, in desperation when
>> the situation amounted to "improvise or walk", I'd probably think
>> about that as a possibility if the materials were at hand. By the
>> same token, though, in my case, I'd probably be able to scare up
>> something a little more rigid from the pile of junk in the garage.
>> One must, in such a situation, work with what exists. (Do not inquire
>> about what I used as the substitute for a fuse in a DC-AC converter
>> this past weekend on a road trip; suffice it to say that the device
>> survived and the assigned task was completed as a result.)

> Paperclip? Staple? Spoke?

Pollywog? Grunion? Fishhook?

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:21:17 -0500, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Werehatrack wrote:
>>> ... (Do not inquire
>>> about what I used as the substitute for a fuse in a DC-AC converter
>>> this past weekend on a road trip; suffice it to say that the device
>>> survived and the assigned task was completed as a result.)

>> Paperclip? Staple? Spoke?

>Pollywog? Grunion? Fishhook?

Oh, all right. The clip from a ball-point pen. There wasn't a
grunion in sight, since it was in Oklahoma. (And no paperclips,
either; they were out of season.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:28:19 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:21:17 -0500, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>> Paperclip? Staple? Spoke?

>>Pollywog? Grunion? Fishhook?

>Oh, all right. The clip from a ball-point pen. There wasn't a
>grunion in sight, since it was in Oklahoma. (And no paperclips,
>either; they were out of season.)

In space?

At this hour?

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Don' need no steenkin' headset spacers!
>
> http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/09.htm
>
> Sheldon "IRO" Brown

That's not the subtle bit. The subtle bit is the Livestrong bracelet
rolling around the front wheel hub. A moment's contemplation will
suggest to the student that, barring unlikely interference with the
bracelet's integrity, there's only one way to get it on there:

http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/01.htm
http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/06.htm

Also, I totally think you have to go wireless for the computer. This
particular implementation just cries out for it. May I suggest you look
into the Filzer dB4LW?

Share & Enjoy,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Well, he had to start with the spokes out, so it's pretty obvious when
> the yellow band was installed. (In days of yore, leather straps with
> a small weight on them were installed on hubs to polish them as the
> wheel rolled along. I kid you not; I have a copy of the ad.)

when hubs had a little oil hole (instead of using grease) it was common
(maybe usual) to tie a loop of cloth around the hub to wipe up the excess
oil. The knot provided the weight to stop the cloth loop rotating with
the hub.

I sneered:

Peter Cole wrote:

> Cool idea, but how do you set the preload (by whoofs?)?

Yep.

The collar is actually one that was made for a seatpost clamp. With the
stem clamp and the collar both loose, and an Allen wrench in my pocket,
I lean down on the handlebars as hard as I can, while twisting them back
and forth around the steerer, also shaking them front to back to take up
any slack in the headset. I then let go with one hand while keeping my
weight on the other, to fish the Allen wrench out of my pocket and snug
up the collar.

This system, in addition to saving weight, allows quick and easy
adjustment of handlebar height, since it doesn't require moving spacers
nor re-adjusting the headset.

> Maybe the pvc
> tube would be useful as a temporary preload adjuster (you'd need the sf
> nut).

Don' need no steenkin' sf nut!

This system works fine for me for 1 1/8" headsets, but I'm not sure it
would work for 1" ones.

Ryan Cousineau of Sirius Cybernetics wrote:

> That's not the subtle bit. The subtle bit is the Livestrong bracelet
> rolling around the front wheel hub. A moment's contemplation will
> suggest to the student that, barring unlikely interference with the
> bracelet's integrity, there's only one way to get it on there:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/01.htm
> http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/06.htm

Didja notice the whimsical 4 leading/4 trailing spoke pattern? I gotta
get a better photo of that. It's really tough to do good photos of
spoke patterns.

> Also, I totally think you have to go wireless for the computer. This
> particular implementation just cries out for it.

I have a fundamental philosophical objection to wireless cyclecomputers.
One battery is enough.

A better solution would be to run the wire through the steerer. With a
typical 1 1/8" threadless fork I coulda done this, but the Winwood
plastic fork on my IRO doesn't have a big enough hole at the bottom to
fit the sensor through. I could cut and splice the wire, or possibly
install a plug connector hidden inside the steerer. I may wind up doing
this.

I'm not certain I like this position for the computer though. It's nice
for riding, but I sometimes bump into it while starting/stopping the bike.

Sheldon "Different Drummer" Brown
| According to the latest official figures, |
| 43% of all statistics are totally worthless. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Wow, just like a quill stem.

Only lighter, stronger and with a greater adjustment range, assuming the
steerer hasn't been cut too short.

Sheldon "Threadless" Brown
| Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; |
| but it is always the strongly marked feature of all |
| religions established by law. |
| Take away the law-establishment, and every religion |
| re-assumes its original benignity. |
| Thomas Paine -- The Rights of Man, 1791 |

Bruce Graham <[email protected]> writes:

>> Well, he had to start with the spokes out, so it's pretty obvious
>> when the yellow band was installed. (In days of yore, leather
>> straps with a small weight on them were installed on hubs to polish
>> them as the wheel rolled along. I kid you not; I have a copy of
>> the ad.)

> when hubs had a little oil hole (instead of using grease) it was
> common (maybe usual) to tie a loop of cloth around the hub to wipe
> up the excess oil. The knot provided the weight to stop the cloth
> loop rotating with the hub.

And if you looked, you would have noticed that in time these hubs had
all their chrome worn off by road grit that got caught in the oil of
these wiper. That was the first thing that caught my eye with these
cleanliness freaks when I first saw them, then there was the aesthetic
of a dirt rag on the hub spool, contrary to the hub's function.

[email protected]

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Didja notice the whimsical 4 leading/4 trailing spoke pattern? I
> gotta get a better photo of that. It's really tough to do good
> photos of spoke patterns.

3

Sorry

Nice, looks a lot better with large flange than small.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: