Re: Q: Tasmanian helmet laws?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Jens Herrmann, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Hello,
    i am from Germany and i survived 8000 km without a helmet trough
    Australia last year. ;-)
    I do not want to start a new helmet-flame-war-thread here as it happens
    in german newsgroups when somebody writes that helmets are/are not
    reasonable.
    The question i just want to ask you is: How does the majority of
    Australien people think about the helmet law? Do most cyclists support
    the law or not?

    Regards
    Jens

    Tags:

  2. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Jens Herrmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    > i am from Germany and i survived 8000 km without a helmet trough
    > Australia last year. ;-)
    > I do not want to start a new helmet-flame-war-thread here as it happens
    > in german newsgroups when somebody writes that helmets are/are not
    > reasonable.
    > The question i just want to ask you is: How does the majority of
    > Australien people think about the helmet law? Do most cyclists support
    > the law or not?
    >
    > Regards
    > Jens

    I just do what I am told. I do not have the money or the education to
    undertake a study of my own to make a valid decision. I have to trust
    (rightly or wrongly) what I am told by other people. Some will swear that
    its more dangerous others less.

    Strangely I know someone that swears that smoking is not bad for your health
    and can site me all sorts of studies to back this up. Although the majority
    say otherwise he is willing to take the word of a few to make his decision.
    Just a case of denial my bet.

    Pete

  3. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    Jens Herrmann wrote:
    > Hello, i am from Germany and i survived 8000 km without a helmet trough
    > Australia last year. ;-) I do not want to start a new helmet-flame-war-
    > thread here as it happens in german newsgroups when somebody writes that
    > helmets are/are not reasonable. The question i just want to ask you is:
    > How does the majority of Australien people think about the helmet law?
    > Do most cyclists support the law or not?
    > Regards Jens

    I figure that helmets are so good these days (or good helmets are so
    good) that its not such a hassle to wear them. I regard my helmet as
    just another piece of my cycling outfit, like knicks, shoes, etc. helps.
    And if you have a nice helmet, you're going to be happier to wear it
    then a big orange stackhat. My helmet is one of the nicest (Selev Atom
    fdjeux.com edition)... I'd never go without it, laws or not. :D Also,
    the fact that the last helmet I had saved me from almost certain brain
    damage is a powerful reminder... on top of that, I'm a law-abider by
    nature; I try not to rock the boat and basically do what I'm told. A
    combination of these 3 reasons is why I wear a helmet.

    But thats just me. As for the average Aussie, most of them seem to wear
    helmets from what I've seen. Oh, they might occasionally grumble, but on
    the whole... :)