Re: Quality Long Reach Road Calipers ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Smith, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Jim Smith

    Jim Smith Guest

    "Magnusfarce" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Does anyone make a high quality long reach (~50 to 60mm) brake caliper set
    > for a road bike? I'm looking for something in the Ultegra range for
    > strength and stopping power, but the best Shimano brake of this type is a
    > no-name, probably well below the 105 series. Weight is not an issue, and
    > I'm not interested in using any of the drop-bolt adaptors.

    Shimano makes an ultegra level long reach caliper. model number is
    BR-R600. They are available almost everywhere. I have seen prices
    from 50-75 per caliper. Google the part number and you will see.

    I have a pair of the cheaper Shimano A550 which are the no-name ones.
    They are pretty nice. The basic brake is identical to the R600 but
    the barrel adjuster and quick release lever are plastic, and they
    don't have the ultegra pad holders. Put some koolstop continentals in
    there and they are good to go.

    Tags:

  2. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    Jim Smith wrote:
    > "Magnusfarce" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Does anyone make a high quality long reach (~50 to 60mm) brake

    caliper set
    > > for a road bike? I'm looking for something in the Ultegra range

    for
    > > strength and stopping power, but the best Shimano brake of this

    type is a
    > > no-name, probably well below the 105 series. Weight is not an

    issue, and
    > > I'm not interested in using any of the drop-bolt adaptors.

    > Shimano makes an ultegra level long reach caliper. model number is
    > BR-R600. They are available almost everywhere. I have seen prices
    > from 50-75 per caliper. Google the part number and you will see.

    Yep:
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0610
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0611

    FWIW: I've used the A550 long-ish reach caliper on a couple bikes for
    years. It's equal to 105 brakes, particularly with KoolStop Continental
    brake shoes. The only real difference between it and 105 calipers is
    that the 105's are painted. The A550 series is from the old RX100
    group.
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0552

    If you need slightly more reach, Kogswell sells a dual-pivot caliper
    with 64mm of reach: http://www.kogswell.com/

    Jeff