Re: Question for other old beginners!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by wobbling bear, May 8, 2006.

  1. As a professional trainer my goal is to get youngsters to do better than
    me as soon as possible.:p (I do not train in uniing!)
    So I am philosophical about slow progress as long as I feel pleasure in
    riding ... the only thing I really crave for is rolling hop ....
    anybody willing to teach me rolling hop at UNICON?
    thanks

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  2. olwyn

    olwyn Guest

    wobbling bear wrote:
    > the only thing I really crave for is rolling hop ....

    Me too and idling, but I'm sure once I master those there will be the
    next challenge. That's one of the best things about unicycling, it's a
    constant learning curve. I'm a self confessed addict.

    --
    olwyn

    Why does life steam passed so fast when your enjoying yourself?
    olwyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12162

  3. Tet

    Tet Guest

  4. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

  5. unicus

    unicus Guest

  6. underdog

    underdog Guest

    I know that for me, fear of injury keeps me progressing at a very slow
    rate. At this advanced age we don't heal as quickly as the younger
    riders, even from mild sprains or pulled muscles. I tend to really
    creep up on new skills. I remember learning to hop. I was trying this
    skill on my 29er and came off to the side, landed on my right foot and
    twisted my ankle badly. I was off the uni for a couple of weeks and
    after that the memory of the pain kept me from even trying for a much
    longer time. I eventually eased back into it but it took quited a bit
    of time for such a basic skill. I hop pretty well now (albeit still
    lacking the directional control I'd really like) but it was slow
    getting to this point. I think the moral of the story is, just keep
    working at the skills you want. Slow of fast isn't important, just
    keep at it.

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  7. digigal1

    digigal1 Guest

    I knew the active ankles I spent a ton of money on weren't a frivolous
    purchase! Sorry you had to go through that. I say buy every piece of
    protective gear you can fit on your bod.

    --
    digigal1

    Raphael never stopped being my hero.
    digigal1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5848

  8. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    I too have the fear of injury thing. I tend to bail out when I'm doing
    stuff for fear of injury, so it takes me a bit longer to get there.

    I would give 2 words of advice

    1) Enjoy what you're doing. If it starts becoming a chore, do something
    else.

    2) Definately do not (I repeat do not) read the "look what I have
    accomplished in 2 hours" posts from 12-16 year olds, it will just
    encourage you to compare your progress to thiers.

    One thing that I always think to myself is that I get all the more
    satisfaction when I can do something after struggling for 3 months than
    some youngster gets when he/she accomplishes it in half an hour. They
    will never know what it's like to strive in this way. :D

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  9. abridged

    abridged Guest

    I only started unicycling last July. It took me until October, before I
    could go around the neighborhood. There were weeks in between of
    little or no apparent progress. Now I'm getting ready for unicycling
    the Tour de Cure charity ride (160 miles for bicycles!) at the end of
    next month. What helped me the most is just carving out some time
    every day to unicycling. Even if it's just five minutes of freemount
    attempts per day, that's much better than waiting until the weekend for
    a longer (and perhaps more frustrating) practice sessions. It's safer,
    too; I think it is easier to fall in the beginning when getting
    fatigued. After 20 minutes or so, there may not be much more learning
    benefit. You are subjecting your body to an entirely new set of
    circumstances and it takes constancy of effort in order to get
    accustomed to the necessary body english and developing the right feel
    for balance.

    Some other practice activities that did not require much time per day:
    1. Riding the unicycle up and down a hallway in my house a few times
    2. Buying a unicycle for my daughter and learning together (she's
    great inspiration and a constant reminder to keep trying)
    3. Keeping the uni by the back door when I'm home and riding across my
    driveway (~30 feet) a few times when I go out for the newspaper or
    mail
    4. Keeping the Uni in my car's trunk and finding a secluded parking
    lot near work where I can practice on occasion for 20 minutes or so
    during lunch

    My family thought I was going nuts, at first. Now, at least they
    accept that I am but that this is a much healthier form of mid-life
    crisis than other activities I could have chosen. Good luck and keep
    trying.

    --
    abridged
    abridged's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11292

  10. Tet

    Tet Guest

    I like some of the suggestions made. I think riding with others would
    certainly motivate me but I can't find any other unicyclists in my area
    (East Kent, UK). I also think trying to do a little each day or as
    frequently as possible anyway, would help.

    Cathy: your comment about not comparing oneself with the younger forum
    members is SO true. When I first found this site a read a few threads
    (those I could understand - I don't really speak 'uni' yet) and thought
    'blimey, I might as well turn it in now'. It was only when I noticed
    by the style of posts and then the profile info that some of these were
    teenagers that I eased up a bit on myself.

    Another slight hinderance is I am a runner and although I enjoy uni
    much more than running I am fairly self disciplined about my running as
    it gives me a lot of fitness and enables me to eat what I like but try
    riding your uni after a long run !

    Anyway, I remain much encouraged by all your suggestions and comments -
    thanks!

    Tet

    --
    Tet
    Tet's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12150

  11. cathwood wrote:
    > 2) Definately do not (I repeat do not) read the "look what I have
    > accomplished in 2 hours" posts from 12-16 year olds, it will just
    > encourage you to compare your progress to thiers.
    > Cathy

    Children go about it in a fashion older people should learn from. For
    instance, the element of play. As an adult you are often goal-oriented
    and hence you have already from the outset planted the seed of failure.
    Children just play. They don't think, they don't plan, they just play.

    "Don't think - just cycle", is my advice.

    --
    goldenchicken
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  12. underdog

    underdog Guest

    goldenchicken wrote:
    > "Don't think - just cycle", is my advice.

    Sound advice from a one year old.;)