General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Question from a Brummie newbie

Started by John Goldfine · · Last activity · 3 posts · 309 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 December 2004
Last activity
12 December 2004
Original author
John Goldfine
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
309
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    .I go to the gym,but wanted to add walking
    to my routine to add some variety.So I want to know if it's possible to
    walk from Birmingham to either Redditch or Coventry?

    My experience over the years is that walking in the woods for an hour or a
    bit more each day with my dogs gives me the base for walking six hilly road
    miles in two hours over several weekends which gives me the base to walk for
    a week on rural tracks and paths, fifteen or so miles a day, with a 20 lb
    pack. I'm running and at the gym as well, so perhaps this isn't the whole
    story, but I do think that a pyramid-style expansion of one's effort is the
    best way. Nothing like a few OS maps to stimulate walking fever....

  2. Hi all,thanks for the helpful replies to my post, but maybe I should
    have made myself a little more clear in my initial question.I am not a
    complete novice to walking, just that walking is not the main focus of
    my fitness efforts.You might have thought i must be a little odd to try
    and walk 20 miles to Coventry, and maybe you're correct,but if i ever
    did take such a long walk that would be my entire weeks fitness
    activities.In addition if i find the going too hard I'll just pop onto
    a bus to complete the journey.Also, as an initiative to keep me walking
    I have relatives in Coventry whom I have not seen for quite a while.I
    think if you have some reward at the end of your walk, such as visiting
    with relatives,it makes the walk a little less difficult.
    Thanks again for all your answers.Although I do not think I will be
    buying an ordanance survey map, I'm terible with maps, and don't think
    it'll be much use.Although I do own one of those electronic route
    finding devices (not GPS,just the normal one), do you reckon I would be
    able to find my way to either Coventry or Reddich using one of those?
    Thanks and bye

  3. as an ex Coventrian myself I can think of better walks around that area than
    Brum to Cov ;-)
    Whatever you decide - get an OS map!
    Bryan
    Durzet

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,thanks for the helpful replies to my post, but maybe I should
    have made myself a little more clear in my initial question.I am not a
    complete novice to walking, just that walking is not the main focus of
    my fitness efforts.You might have thought i must be a little odd to try
    and walk 20 miles to Coventry, and maybe you're correct,but if i ever
    did take such a long walk that would be my entire weeks fitness
    activities.In addition if i find the going too hard I'll just pop onto
    a bus to complete the journey.Also, as an initiative to keep me walking
    I have relatives in Coventry whom I have not seen for quite a while.I
    think if you have some reward at the end of your walk, such as visiting
    with relatives,it makes the walk a little less difficult.
    Thanks again for all your answers.Although I do not think I will be
    buying an ordanance survey map, I'm terible with maps, and don't think
    it'll be much use.Although I do own one of those electronic route
    finding devices (not GPS,just the normal one), do you reckon I would be
    able to find my way to either Coventry or Reddich using one of those?
    Thanks and bye

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.