Re: [Race report (sort of)] La Rochelle marathon 27 nov 2005

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by steve common, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. steve common

    steve common Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Pendejo? ;-)

    I couldn't help thinking of Charlie. I just prayed I wouldn't get the full
    Pendejo experience :)

    >I have the same problem. I have to start brainstorming right after the
    >race on the way home. Otherwise, like a dream, it fades quickly.

    Exactly. I haven't written a race report for ages for that reason. So I
    sat down and typed loads of bits and pieces on Sunday evening, before
    they'd evaporated, then stitched them together and posted while my legs
    were still agony.

    >Did they place you based on a previous marathon time?

    Yes, they asked for recent reference times + target time and segregated
    into 3 corrals + the elites. There were two separate starts which merged
    at km 3.

    Senior males (22-39yo) and veteran 1 males (40-49yo) at one start and all
    the female categories, junior males and the older veteran males (50 and +)
    at the other.

    >Was 3 hours a big pace group? Those round numbers seem to have special
    >meaning. How big was this race?

    The 7600 "seats" were sold out (though maybe the actual number of starters
    was slightly lower). The 3h group was probably 30 or more runners but I
    didn't look over my shoulder to see how big the pack really was.

    The full results are up and about 460 runners were in under 3h, of which a
    little over 50 arriving behind.

    >Will you be taking some time off now?

    A few days yes. I won't run at all this time until it doesn't hurt to walk
    downstairs anymore. I'll book a proper sports massage too, take some
    saunas and go to the swimming pool maybe.

    But we're already into the cross country season and I'll be lynched by the
    club prez (or, worse, sat on by him) if I don't compete at some stage,
    tho' I reckon he'll let me off until the D├ępartement ("county")
    championship race in January :)

    There are also some fun /corridas/ around christmas but I'll only run them
    for socializing.

    Then I'll have to decide if I'm going to try a Pfitz/Douglas 12 or 18
    weeker, or an Irina Kazakova 12 weeker for an April marathon. All in good
    time eh? ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Hey Steve, let me offer you another round of congratulations now that
    you've written it all up properly! Pretty inspiring stuff for an old
    guy.

    steve common wrote:
    > Phil wrote:
    >> Steve Pendejo? ;-)

    > I couldn't help thinking of Charlie.

    Yeah, although I was raised protestant, I understand that in fact a
    generation of catholics has been raised to "think of Charlie Pendejo"
    as their primary method of birth control. I'm proud to be a warrior in
    the struggle against overpopulation, even as I've also apparently
    become the patron saint (is that even possible for an atheist half-jew
    raised presbytarian then methodist (1) ?) of runners who make
    unfortunate food choices.

    >> I have the same problem. I have to start brainstorming right after the
    >> race on the way home. Otherwise, like a dream, it fades quickly.

    Hell, half of my details fade before the end of the race, or the long
    (2) or daily run! I'm continually aware of having observed or
    experienced something noteworthy on a run which merits a retelling, but
    it's either lost forever or recalled two weeks later in the shower or
    on a subsequent run.

    Pendejo: eat as I say, not as I eat

    (1) we moved closer to a methodist church

    (2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
    length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
    typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
    and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
    excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
    run. Anyone else?

  3. "A really good magical story-worthy long run
    Will typically start spawning
    Out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
    And synchronicities early on,

    So that there's already been more
    Excitement or novelty or minor craziness
    By 45 mins
    Than any 45 minute run.

    Anyone else?"
    ~ CP

    "A phenomena observed
    Across other activites, too."
    ~ Twittering

  4. "Living hand ~ mouth
    Curtails such hobby
    Horsing gallops south
    Spilling frame, gilding
    A gelding's melody
    Cantering, Clip ~ ! Clop ~ !"
    ~ Capsicum

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Charlie Pendejo wrote:

    > (2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
    > length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
    > typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
    > and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
    > excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
    > run. Anyone else?

    Definitely. Long runs have the magic of anticipating a new adventure
    right from the start. :) Heck, I picked a fight with a drill rig
    yesterday - and it wasn't even a long run. (I won. He was on *my* trail.)

    Dot

    --
    "A winner is just a loser who tried one more time." -Captain George M.
    Moore, Jr., United States Air Force (retired),

  6. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    On 29 Nov 2005 20:35:11 -0800, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I understand that in fact a
    >generation of catholics has been raised to "think of Charlie Pendejo"
    >as their primary method of birth control.

    I saw your pic at the BC clinic.

  7. steve common

    steve common Guest

    "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >even as I've also apparently
    >become the patron saint (is that even possible for an atheist half-jew
    >raised presbytarian then methodist (1) ?) of runners who make
    >unfortunate food choices.

    teehee. CoE then methodist (1) and "typical Yorkshiremen" are considered
    to have some of the more caricatured behavioural traits often associated
    with jews (ie. they are like Scots, but without the generosity). So maybe
    there really is something here... ;->

    >(1) we moved closer to a methodist church

    (1) ditto

  8. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > (2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
    > length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
    > typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
    > and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
    > excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
    > run. Anyone else?

    Long runs on trails definitely, and that helps make them more memorable.
    Long runs on roads not as much. I even remember the visual scenery of some
    orienteering races I ran over 20 years ago. With ultras the visual memory is
    a more broken up. I think it depends on the interest of the course and the
    intensity of the experience. I still have a great deal of recall of the
    escarpment trail run I did in July this year because it was such a visually
    interesting course and because I was enjoying the hell out of it, it burned
    deeper into memory than others.

    -Tony