Re: [Race report (sort of)] La Rochelle marathon 27 nov 2005

steve common

Guest
"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Pendejo? ;-)

I couldn't help thinking of Charlie. I just prayed I wouldn't get the full
Pendejo experience :)

>I have the same problem. I have to start brainstorming right after the
>race on the way home. Otherwise, like a dream, it fades quickly.

Exactly. I haven't written a race report for ages for that reason. So I
sat down and typed loads of bits and pieces on Sunday evening, before
they'd evaporated, then stitched them together and posted while my legs
were still agony.

>Did they place you based on a previous marathon time?

Yes, they asked for recent reference times + target time and segregated
into 3 corrals + the elites. There were two separate starts which merged
at km 3.

Senior males (22-39yo) and veteran 1 males (40-49yo) at one start and all
the female categories, junior males and the older veteran males (50 and +)
at the other.

>Was 3 hours a big pace group? Those round numbers seem to have special
>meaning. How big was this race?

The 7600 "seats" were sold out (though maybe the actual number of starters
was slightly lower). The 3h group was probably 30 or more runners but I
didn't look over my shoulder to see how big the pack really was.

The full results are up and about 460 runners were in under 3h, of which a
little over 50 arriving behind.

>Will you be taking some time off now?

A few days yes. I won't run at all this time until it doesn't hurt to walk
downstairs anymore. I'll book a proper sports massage too, take some
saunas and go to the swimming pool maybe.

But we're already into the cross country season and I'll be lynched by the
club prez (or, worse, sat on by him) if I don't compete at some stage,
tho' I reckon he'll let me off until the Département ("county")
championship race in January :)

There are also some fun /corridas/ around christmas but I'll only run them
for socializing.

Then I'll have to decide if I'm going to try a Pfitz/Douglas 12 or 18
weeker, or an Irina Kazakova 12 weeker for an April marathon. All in good
time eh? ;-)

Hey Steve, let me offer you another round of congratulations now that
you've written it all up properly! Pretty inspiring stuff for an old
guy.

steve common wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>> Steve Pendejo? ;-)

> I couldn't help thinking of Charlie.

Yeah, although I was raised protestant, I understand that in fact a
generation of catholics has been raised to "think of Charlie Pendejo"
as their primary method of birth control. I'm proud to be a warrior in
the struggle against overpopulation, even as I've also apparently
become the patron saint (is that even possible for an atheist half-jew
raised presbytarian then methodist (1) ?) of runners who make
unfortunate food choices.

>> I have the same problem. I have to start brainstorming right after the
>> race on the way home. Otherwise, like a dream, it fades quickly.

Hell, half of my details fade before the end of the race, or the long
(2) or daily run! I'm continually aware of having observed or
experienced something noteworthy on a run which merits a retelling, but
it's either lost forever or recalled two weeks later in the shower or
on a subsequent run.

Pendejo: eat as I say, not as I eat

(1) we moved closer to a methodist church

(2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
run. Anyone else?

"A really good magical story-worthy long run
Will typically start spawning
Out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
And synchronicities early on,

So that there's already been more
Excitement or novelty or minor craziness
By 45 mins
Than any 45 minute run.

Anyone else?"
~ CP

"A phenomena observed
Across other activites, too."
~ Twittering

"Living hand ~ mouth
Curtails such hobby
Horsing gallops south
Spilling frame, gilding
A gelding's melody
Cantering, Clip ~ ! Clop ~ !"
~ Capsicum

Charlie Pendejo wrote:

> (2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
> length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
> typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
> and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
> excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
> run. Anyone else?

Definitely. Long runs have the magic of anticipating a new adventure
right from the start. :) Heck, I picked a fight with a drill rig
yesterday - and it wasn't even a long run. (I won. He was on *my* trail.)

Dot

--
"A winner is just a loser who tried one more time." -Captain George M.
Moore, Jr., United States Air Force (retired),

On 29 Nov 2005 20:35:11 -0800, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I understand that in fact a
>generation of catholics has been raised to "think of Charlie Pendejo"
>as their primary method of birth control.

I saw your pic at the BC clinic.

"Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>even as I've also apparently
>become the patron saint (is that even possible for an atheist half-jew
>raised presbytarian then methodist (1) ?) of runners who make
>unfortunate food choices.

teehee. CoE then methodist (1) and "typical Yorkshiremen" are considered
to have some of the more caricatured behavioural traits often associated
with jews (ie. they are like Scots, but without the generosity). So maybe
there really is something here... ;->

>(1) we moved closer to a methodist church

(1) ditto

"Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> (2) I find long runs aren't only more eventful in proportion to their
> length; rather, a really good magical story-worthy long run will
> typically start spawning out-of-the-ordinary events and observations
> and synchronicities early on, so that there's already been more
> excitement or novelty or minor craziness by 45 mins than any 45 minute
> run. Anyone else?

Long runs on trails definitely, and that helps make them more memorable.
Long runs on roads not as much. I even remember the visual scenery of some
orienteering races I ran over 20 years ago. With ultras the visual memory is
a more broken up. I think it depends on the interest of the course and the
intensity of the experience. I still have a great deal of recall of the
escarpment trail run I did in July this year because it was such a visually
interesting course and because I was enjoying the hell out of it, it burned
deeper into memory than others.

-Tony