Re: race report: track meet

Donovan Rebbechi

Guest
On 2004-07-13, Lyndon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
>>The 2-mile is coming next week. No backing off the training for this either
>>-- I
>>just want to put something on the books. How will the heat affect the 2 mile
>>?
>>Given a 5k pace of 5:39 and a 1 mile pace of 4:51, what's my 2 mile pace ?
>>Only
>>one way to find out ... and that's what I intend to do next Sunday.
>>

> I find that I don't get much from peaking in mile races--and if I don't get my
> weekly 400 session "fix" (one week before a race) I always get slower--so you
> might not have given up much from training through.

I had a lot of milage and long intervals going into the race. Not much in the
way of serious speed.

> Keep in mind that a 5K on the track is normally 20-30 seconds faster than on
> the road. So if you base your 2M pace on your recent 5K, you might go out
> too slow. On the track, the equivalent 5K pace for your 4:51 would be about
> 5:29, with 2M pace being right in the middle of the two (adjust somewhat if
> the temperature is different).

I'd be pretty happy if I could run that fast. I will try to go out carefully
anyway (5:20 or 5:15 if the weather is good) -- I can run reasonably well on a
negative splits strategy (my mile in May was 2:30/2:22)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/