General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Race report: Vancouver Marathon.

Started by Anthony · · Last activity · 1 post · 259 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 May 2005
Last activity
8 May 2005
Original author
Anthony
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
259
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Congrats on the race - big improvement even if not quite as big as you'd
    planned.

    Correct pacing is so important - next time you'll get it right...(that
    goes for me too)

    Anthony.
    "Kaz Kylheku" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    I said:

    On May 5, 2003, I wrote, in article
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Ran the Adidas Vancouver International Marathon on Sunday, my first
    marathon, and my second race. I finished in 5:05:12. Nothing


    cramped

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    up, I didn't hit the wall. I just ran and ran.

    I ran it again yesterday. This time, I finished in 3:55:53


    (unofficial

    Quoted message said:

    mat-to-mat time from my chronometer).

    Another year of serious running, another Vancouver Marathon.
    The bottom line: 3:19:01.

    I owe a lot to my supporters: my friends Jim and Rachel, parents and
    Mr. Samuhel.

    I started training in January and quickly built up to a 60 mile per
    week base which I sustained until a three week taper. I ran long every
    week, and jumped up to 22 miles in just three steps or so, and stayed
    there.

    I continued doing track workouts in my spikes, as I have been since
    last June, and ran the marathon in Asics Gel-Magic racers. That was
    quite something else; my feet were stinging through the second half. I
    discovered that racers are particularly unforgiving on downhills. You
    can't be careless with your form at all..

    I adopted a different running form back in March as a result of meeting
    an elite runner on one of my track workouts and copying the guy! I run
    with a forward lean and backward kick, which involves the calves and
    quads in forward propulsion. I also use my torso a lot more. I no
    longer run ``tall'' with a ``shuffle''. I switched my entire 60 mile
    weekly volume to that style, cold turkey, and that was hard. I
    developed some injuries that I had to work through, but persistence
    paid off.

    I know I have a faster marathon in me, but it just wasn't meant to be
    today. I hit the half marathon in 1:35 something, but then my splits
    elongated and that was that. It's going to take more experience to know
    how to pace properly. In this marathon I practiced the art of sticking
    to a planned pace as exactly as I could, which worked for more than
    half of the way. I took every single mile split, continuously
    monitoring and adjusting my pace. It was a very technical race, in
    which I basically took one mile at a time as a thing in itself. The
    trick is choosing a planned pace that is realistic, and not just with
    respect to the training, but also the conditions on race day.

    Suppose I had chosen a 7:25 pace instead of trying to chase 7:15. I
    might have managed even splits and that would have given me a better
    time than 3:19, which is 7:36 pace. Even so, I tried to be careful. For
    instance, I shot out a 7:00 mile at the start, but right away
    considered that to be ``15 seconds in the bank'' and slowed down.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.