General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Rainbow Trout

Started by Janet Bostwick · · Last activity · 63 posts · 1,477 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 April 2005
Last activity
14 April 2005
Original author
Janet Bostwick
Posts
63
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,477
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 63
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:

    I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
    inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),

    Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
    good, Bubba Vic.

    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
    trout-wise.

    Bubba

  2. A little birdie told me that (Victor Sack) said:

    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then.

    So what's keeping you alive, old timer?

    Carol, ducking and running
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  3. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    A little birdie told me that (Victor Sack) said:

    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then.

    So what's keeping you alive, old timer?

    In those Deliverence Mountains he was probably sucking up trouser
    trout.

    Sheldon

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Victor Sack) said:
    Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:

    I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
    inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),

    Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
    good, Bubba Vic.

    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.

    Honey, at my age I gets 'em where I can.

    Quoted message said:

    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
    trout-wise.

    Bubba


    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
    Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  5. Sheldon said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    A little birdie told me that (Victor Sack) said:

    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from
    the beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia,
    you'll probably die of pleasure there and then.

    So what's keeping you alive, old timer?

    In those Deliverence Mountains he was probably sucking up trouser
    trout.

    Sheldon

    S'funny, whenever I read one of your posts the theme from Deliverence seems
    to be playing.
    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
    http://www.spammotel.com

  6. Margaret Suran said:
    Rodney Myrvaagnes said:
    Margaret Suran said:

    The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
    Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
    quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
    bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

    I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
    it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
    court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
    head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.

    It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
    and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.

    If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
    wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.

    Yes, it would.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
    here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.

    So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
    motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
    quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
    after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

    More importantly, you can't wipe the outside of the fish. It's the
    coating that makes it blue. If removed, it's merely a poached trout.

    Traditionally, trout were gutted through the gills so as not to disturb
    the lines of the fish. No unsightly cut areas...

    Quoted message said:

    I have never chucked an oyster and I just looked and (thank G-d), there
    is no trout nor fish of any kind swimming in my bathtubs. I do not
    think that I could follow a recipe that starts out with having to whack
    ones dinner on the head and killing and gutting it. No wonder the poor
    thing turns blue.

    <G> It turns blue because of the coating of mucus on the outside. Trout
    have only the tiniest scales and, instead are protected by a thin
    coating of mucus. When it hits the hot court bouillon, the acid turns
    the mucus blue and firms it so it doesn't seem mucoidal at the table.

    This was Hemingway's favorite way to eat trout, according to legend.

    Quoted message said:

    Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?

    Yes. Usually fast-running, cold streams are best, but they've adapted to
    many other conditions.

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you for your help. I am the wrong person to kill my meal. Even
    if I could get myself to do it, I would feel like a cannibal if I were
    to eat it.

    I'm sure the fish feels the same way about you, Margaret. <g>

    Pastorio

  7. Victor Sack said:
    Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:

    I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
    inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),

    Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
    good, Bubba Vic.

    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
    trout-wise.

    Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West
    Virginia are simply stunning in the clarity of their flavor and texture.
    Very cold water, swiftly running, high in the mountains hard to get to.
    Not much presence of people, so the fish are as wild as it gets; no
    pollution or trash in the water. A one-pound fish cleaned and done
    Meuniere with a dusting of flour and quickly browned in hot butter is an
    astonishing glimpse into the purity of the essence of fish.

    I smoked some, planked, at our cookfire, burning birch and hickory
    woods. Tasted like smoky butter. Golden trout aren't quite as fatty as
    Rainbows or Native trout. Simply wonderful.

    The wild Brown trout of western Virginia's mountain streams are very
    good, too.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, "Bob (this one)"

    Quoted message said:
    Victor Sack said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    [email hidden] (Victor Sack) wrote:

    >I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
    >inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),

    Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
    good, Bubba Vic.

    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
    trout-wise.

    Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West


    (snip)

    Uh, oh! "My fish is bigger than your fish."
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
    Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  9. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Victor Sack wrote:


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West
    Virginia are simply stunning in the clarity of their flavor and texture.
    Very cold water, swiftly running, high in the mountains hard to get to.
    Not much presence of people, so the fish are as wild as it gets; no
    pollution or trash in the water. A one-pound fish cleaned and done
    Meuniere with a dusting of flour and quickly browned in hot butter is an
    astonishing glimpse into the purity of the essence of fish.

    I smoked some, planked, at our cookfire, burning birch and hickory woods.
    Tasted like smoky butter. Golden trout aren't quite as fatty as Rainbows
    or Native trout. Simply wonderful.

    The wild Brown trout of western Virginia's mountain streams are very good,
    too.

    Mountain lake trout, just caught, dusted with flour and in the pan on the
    fire, coffee simmering in the speckled enameled coffee pot, biscuits
    cooking, loons calling, sun just rising, mist drifting over the lake, so
    quiet you can hear the feet of ducks and geese skim the lake water as they
    land, a little chilly still and I'm the only one that is up, warming my
    hands on my cup of coffee and occasionally turning my backside to the fire
    to warm. Ah, heck, we've got to do that again soon.
    Janet

  10. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Bob (this one)"

    Quoted message said:
    Victor Sack said:

    Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >[email hidden] (Victor Sack) wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
    >>inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),
    >
    >Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
    >good, Bubba Vic.

    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
    trout-wise.

    Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West

    (snip)

    Uh, oh! "My fish is bigger than your fish."

    Big ain't *this* issue. I'm willing to be convinced to the contrary.
    Cook up a couple fish and let's see...

    Feels like a European jaunt to me...

    Pastorio

  11. Margaret Suran said:
    Rodney Myrvaagnes said:
    Margaret Suran said:

    The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
    Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
    quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
    bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

    I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
    it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
    court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
    head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.

    It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
    and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.

    If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
    wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.

    I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
    here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.

    So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
    motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
    quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
    after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

    I have never chucked an oyster and I just looked and (thank G-d),
    there is no trout nor fish of any kind swimming in my bathtubs. I do
    not think that I could follow a recipe that starts out with having to
    whack ones dinner on the head and killing and gutting it. No wonder
    the poor thing turns blue.

    Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes? I remember only
    carp being sold in Vienna, Austria being a landlocked country and
    refrigeration being nearly unknown at the time. We had no seafood or
    ocean fish and the herrings and sardines and such were either canned
    (sardines) or smoked (herrings), thus I grew up eating very little of
    any kind of fish. We had jellied carp for traditional holiday meals,
    but even gefilte fish was something I didn't taste until I came here.

    Thank you for your help. I am the wrong person to kill my meal. Even
    if I could get myself to do it, I would feel like a cannibal if I were
    to eat it.

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
    freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
    streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
    sure.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

  12. "Rodney Myrvaagnes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    snip

    Quoted message said:

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
    freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
    streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
    sure.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a


    I think the Browns are one of the introduced fish in the Yellowstone
    ecosystem.
    Janet

  13. Rodney Myrvaagnes said:

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
    freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
    streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
    sure.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Rodney, The first line of the Schubert song tells you that it is a
    brooktrout:

    "In einem Baechlein helle", which means in a clear little stream or brook.

    I shed many a tear over that song, as well as the one about the little
    hedge rose. :o(

  14. Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's
    famous song) is a freshwater fish but I am not sure if
    it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in
    lakes, some in streams. I think there may be introduced
    Browns as well, but I am not sure.

    http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm

    or

    http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.Web/Delivery/display_standalone.aspx?contentid=741
    (when the above link breaks, use this:
    http://tinyurl.com/4nty6 )

    or

    http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salmotru.html

    The Ranger

  15. Melba's Jammin said:
    (Victor Sack) said:


    If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
    tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.

    Honey, at my age I gets 'em where I can.

    You can get 'em easy enough, of course - just eat beets more often. They
    go well with any kind of trout or sans trout at all. Here is a delectable
    recipe you will always treasure and make often, I'm sure. It is from
    <http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JAW/is_2002_Wntr/ai_81466613/pg_9>.

    Bubba

    Golden Trout with Quail Eggs and Red Flannel Hash
    (Serves 6)

    Ingredients

    For the trout skin:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    6 11x2-inch strips golden trout skin

    For the red flanne1 hash:
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 onions, peeled and diced
    6 Idaho potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled
    2 stalks celery
    2 Scallions, diced
    1/4 cup fish stock
    3 ounces heavy cream
    2 red beets, boiled, peeled, and diced

    2 fresh water golden trout fillets, skinned and diced (*)
    Salt and pepper to taste

    For the vegetables:
    1 cup unsalted butter
    1 bunch broccolini, blanched (*)
    1 bunch golden beets, roasted, peeled, and halved
    Salt and pepper to taste

    For the dish:
    12 fried quail eggs
    Beet juice
    Coarse ground black pepper

    For the garnish:
    Chervil sprigs

    (*) Available through Northwest Seafood at (800) 223-8286.
    (**) Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and asparagus and is also
    known as aspiration. Available through The Chef's Garden at
    (800) 289-4644.

    For the trout skin, preheat the oven to 225 degrees, place the trout
    skin on a parchment-lined sheet pan and brush with the oil. Wrap each
    skin around a 3-inch ring mold and place, seam side down, on the sheet
    pan. Place in the oven and roast until crisp, rolling the molds
    occasionally to cook evenly, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat,
    remove the molds, and set aside to cool.

    For the red flannel hash, in a large saute pan, melt the butter over
    medium heat. Add the onions, potatoes, and celery and saute until
    tender, about five minutes. Add the scallions, fish stock, and heavy
    cream and stir to combine. Saute until the mixture turns golden brown
    and forms a crust, about 10 minutes. Add the beets and trout, togs. to
    combine, and saute until warmed through, about four minutes. Remove from
    the heat, season, and set aside keeping warm.

    For the vegetables, in a medium saute pan, melt the butter over medium
    heat. Add the broccolini and beets and simmer until warmed, about two
    minutes. Remove from the heat, season, and reserve the vegetables and
    butter separately, keeping warm.

    To serve, place a trout skin ring in the center of a plate and fill with
    some red flannel hash. Set two quail eggs on top and sprinkle with black
    pepper. Arrange some broccolini and yellow beets around the dish,
    drizzle with beet juice and melted butter, and garnish with chervil.

    COPYRIGHT 2002 Culinaire, Inc.
    COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group

  16. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    A little birdie told me that (Victor Sack) said:

    And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
    beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
    probably die of pleasure there and then.

    So what's keeping you alive, old timer?

    Beets and mushrooms - they are the ultimate antidote.

    Old Timer

  17. Margaret Suran said:

    onions and breadcrumbs, I had a fabulous bottle of wine to go with it.
    A wonderful Californian Sonoma Red from Ridge Vineyards and since
    Marcel didn't come for dinner, I felt obligated to drink his share as
    well as mine. No comments, Barbara, please.

    Quoted message said:

    Only right. A wine of such nobiity should not be kept overnight. I
    would have done the same.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

  18. Margaret Suran said:
    Rodney Myrvaagnes said:

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
    freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
    streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
    sure.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Rodney, The first line of the Schubert song tells you that it is a
    brooktrout:

    "In einem Baechlein helle", which means in a clear little stream or brook.

    I shed many a tear over that song, as well as the one about the little
    hedge rose. :o(

    Of course, Margaret. Thank you. I mostly have heard the song as it is
    used in the string quintet, and haven't really focused on the words.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

  19. Rodney Myrvaagnes said:

    Of course, Margaret. Thank you. I mostly have heard the song as it is
    used in the string quintet, and haven't really focused on the words.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Rodney, The Trout Quintet was always one of my favorites. I once
    heard it performed by five members of the Vienna Philharmonic and it
    was awesome. That was many years ago and I don't remember even one of
    their names. Old age, I guess. :o(

  20. The Ranger said:

    Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's
    famous song) is a freshwater fish but I am not sure if
    it is native to lakes or streams.

    In the US we have several different trouts, some in
    lakes, some in streams. I think there may be introduced
    Browns as well, but I am not sure.

    http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm

    or

    http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.Web/Delivery/display_standalone.aspx?contentid=741
    (when the above link breaks, use this:
    http://tinyurl.com/4nty6 )

    or

    http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salmotru.html

    The Ranger


    Thank you, The Ranger. I enjoyed looking at all the links and I
    wonder how a fish that is native to Europe is now found in most parts
    of the world. M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.