Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Raleigh Comp Headset woes - help needed

Started by Donald Gillies · · Last activity · 1 post · 327 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 October 2004
Last activity
12 October 2004
Original author
Donald Gillies
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
327
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Retro Bob said:

    OK... trying to fit a headset to a Raleigh Competition (circa '73 or
    '74). I don't have the old headset and no history on the frame. I
    am getting a bit confused.

    The Headset that was stock on the 73/74 competition is a Brompton
    headset. I have 3 of them. Unfortunately for you, I have 2 raleigh
    competitions of that era and a gransport, so I need all 3 of them.
    They have an 8-sided _thin_ top race, a fairly generic and thin lock
    nut, and they are low-stack headsets, probably in the 30-35 mm range.

    http://www.biketrax.co.uk/product/00526/c5be5db4148698b7266be3466ff1c895/

    My headsets say "Brompton" inside of the lower cup. It's possible to
    take your fork to a bike shop to get the crown race cut down, but if
    Bromptons are still available, why not use original parts ??

    If the gipiemme headset is an accurate copy, the stack height will be
    too high anyway so you should stop what you're doing and look for a
    low-stack headset.

    Contact me through email if you need more details.

    - Don Gillies ( [email hidden] )
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.