Re: Re. Summer in Perthshire

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/9/04 6:10 pm, in article [email protected], "bob
    watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> : As a local though, there is a track marked between the A822 near
    >>> : Ballachraggan in strathbraan (NN938386) and Little Glenshee (NN984343).
    >>> : Is this cyclable?
    >>>
    >>> I'd be keen to know about that too. There's also a second track from
    >>> Ballcraggan to the west of the Glenshee one but it looks steeper.
    >>> Blair.

    >> I don't know but I'll try to have a look in the next couple of weeks and
    >> get back to you.
    >>

    > Ok Guys, been out to look at this area today. Report as follows: Track is a
    > public path. Track is very ridable though probably only MTB. You could
    > possibly use a tourer if you didn't mind giving it some rough treatment.
    > Surface is mainly grass or hardcore in about 50/50 proportions. Very rough
    > sections account for about 2% of the route. There is little mud or pools on
    > the track. There are around five gates along the route and non of them are
    > locked and all open/close easily. Scenery reminiscent of Teesdale area or
    > parts of NY Moors. I returned on the western track which is similar to the
    > track I've just described. As B.G. rightly says though it does have a steep
    > pull though certainly travelling south here as I was the climb is not
    > difficult and surface good. Not so many gates along this track either.

    Thanks for that. It certainly sounds like a possible for part of my Tour of
    the Tay.. I've ridden part of the path to Camasunary from the road (Elgol ?)
    on a loaded MTB as a tourer which was most interesting. One of the few times
    I have thought that I really wished I had brought my h*****.

    ...d

    Tags:

  2. David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

    >I've ridden part of the path to Camasunary from the road (Elgol ?)
    >on a loaded MTB as a tourer which was most interesting. One of the few times
    >I have thought that I really wished I had brought my h*****.

    Can one easily drive to Camasunary from Elgol in something like a
    Landrover?

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 15/9/04 8:07 am, in article [email protected], "Chris
    Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I've ridden part of the path to Camasunary from the road (Elgol ?)
    >> on a loaded MTB as a tourer which was most interesting. One of the few times
    >> I have thought that I really wished I had brought my h*****.

    > Can one easily drive to Camasunary from Elgol in something like a
    > Landrover?

    Easily, No. I was thinking that as I rode over there and could not imagine a
    Land Rover managing that track. I suppose it could be done but the middle
    section would be very difficult. (the bit on the Elgol side from the gate to
    the crest) It was originally a jeep track when it was built in 1968 but has
    new piles of rock that may make it very hard to get a vehicle along.

    The usual way to get uncarryable stuff to the house or bothy is to bring it
    in by boat.

    ...d