Re: Read "Bicycle Science" 3rd Edition

Ron Ruff

Guest
Dan Connelly wrote:

> One of the intriguing points it makes is for the untapped potential
> for improved transmission systems. Our current chain-and-cog approach,
> relatively efficient under ideal conditions, quickly degrades, suggesting
> the advantage for other approaches.

I don't remember seeing anything that suggests the chain-and-cog
"quickly degrades". There was one bit of data on a rusty worn chain...
but that doesn't resemble the ones I use.

Ron Ruff wrote:
> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
>>One of the intriguing points it makes is for the untapped potential
>>for improved transmission systems. Our current chain-and-cog approach,
>>relatively efficient under ideal conditions, quickly degrades, suggesting
>>the advantage for other approaches.
>>

> I don't remember seeing anything that suggests the chain-and-cog
> "quickly degrades". There was one bit of data on a rusty worn chain...
> but that doesn't resemble the ones I use.

Chains need to be replaced every 10k km (10 Mm?) or so, a relatively short life.

page 318-9:

"The result (of a lack of chain enclosure) is that chains, which tend to be in the path
of water thrown up by the front tire and that carried over by the rear tire, often
operate in a mixture of old grease, sand and grit, and salt water. Under these conditions,
wear is rapid and is seen as "stretch" (explained)...."

"Chains used in multispeed derailleur transmissions wear even more quickly...."

Dan