Re: Recommendations for 700c touring wheels/rims?

Tim Dunne

Guest
vernon wrote:

> I've got 36 hole Mavic 317 rims laced onto Deore hubs using plaine
> gauge 13g spokes. Not let me down sin their acquisition. As for non
> squeal rims - you will search forever :) You can try Koolstop
> Salmon break blocks though. They're vey good.

Those bloody rims - I've tried all manner of blocks with the Avid Shorties.
Kool stop salmons, Clarke, Shimano, BBB, Fibrax - only Avid originals gave
any kind of peace although their performance was pants in the wet. I've
pored over Sheldons advice (toed in, toed out), buggered with the spacers
and attack angle and cleaned the rim with all kinds of spirits. My
conviction that the original Rigida Nova rims were pants was vindicated by
the back one turning to cheese.

I approached not-so-local but highly decent LBS[1] who're going to build me
up a new set of wheels based on Mavic a719s - freindly bike doctor showed me
a cross section of one and they look good to me.

Thanks all for your help

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it’s