Re: Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase

SlowRider

Guest
I use the same approach with other peoples' dogs that I use with my own
dogs: if they don't do something I like, I give them a sharp, loud,
authoritative rebuke ("AAY!" works beautifully, especially if you can
startle them with it).

But that's for your garden-variety pet dog off his leash, not a
snarling attack dog. In the latter case I would call animal control.
Ask them to remind the owners that if a dog bites a human, the dog gets
put to sleep (that's the law in most places AFAIK). Animal control may
also be able to give you better tips than you'll get elsewhere.

The next step after that would be the police. I believe a phrase they
recognize is "hazard to navigation": if the dogs chase bicycles, they
probably chase cars, too.

Good luck!

-JR

SlowRider wrote:
> I use the same approach with other peoples' dogs that I use with my own
> dogs: if they don't do something I like, I give them a sharp, loud,
> authoritative rebuke ("AAY!" works beautifully, especially if you can
> startle them with it).
>
> But that's for your garden-variety pet dog off his leash, not a
> snarling attack dog. In the latter case I would call animal control.

After you get bit?

> Ask them to remind the owners that if a dog bites a human, the dog gets
> put to sleep (that's the law in most places AFAIK). Animal control may
> also be able to give you better tips than you'll get elsewhere.
>
> The next step after that would be the police. I believe a phrase they
> recognize is "hazard to navigation": if the dogs chase bicycles, they
> probably chase cars, too.

We have a leash law but the police never even attempt to enforce it.
They just drive by the dog and do nothing, and I never see an animal
control truck come out unless someones child gets bitten or something
along those lines.
Bill Baka

bbaka wrote:
> > But that's for your garden-variety pet dog off his leash, not a
> > snarling attack dog. In the latter case I would call animal

control.

> After you get bit?

If you are bitten, it's time to call the police and have the animal put
down. (Actually the police will probably bring in animal control.) If
you know in advance that the animal is there and is dangerous, then
pursue the appropriate authorities (animal control or police) until the
area is safe to navigate.

> We have a leash law but the police never even attempt to enforce it.
> They just drive by the dog and do nothing, and I never see an animal
> control truck come out unless someones child gets bitten or something

> along those lines.

Perhaps the reason animal control doesn't come out is because nobody
calls them until a child is hurt. I've called them several times in
relatively benign situations (raccoon trapped under the deck, lost dogs
without their tags, etc.), and they've always been willing to help.

-JR

SlowRider wrote:
> bbaka wrote:
>
>>We have a leash law but the police never even attempt to enforce it.
>>They just drive by the dog and do nothing, and I never see an animal
>>control truck come out unless someones child gets bitten or something
>>along those lines.

> Perhaps the reason animal control doesn't come out is because nobody
> calls them until a child is hurt. I've called them several times in
> relatively benign situations (raccoon trapped under the deck, lost dogs
> without their tags, etc.), and they've always been willing to help.

Forgot which county the OP was from -- do they even HAVE animal control
there?

Pat

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Forgot which county the OP was from -- do they even
> HAVE animal control there?
>
> Pat

OP is in Harnett/Lee County in NC, just south of
Raleigh/Chapel Hill.

In Western North Carolina, where I grew up, there were
dog packs made up of some reprobate dogs and some dogs
truly feral. Random encounters with a pack was not a
big deal as confrontation tactics (ie, "I'm a bigger
and meaner dog than you all.") usually worked. These
packs have all but disappeared here brcause of animal
control.

There are a LOT more pit bulls and a few of those are
abandoned and go feral.

I encounted a pit bull pup up by Needmore, (near
Nantahala Gorge,) on NC28. I had stopped to eat and
rest and was surprised by him. He got my banana (which
he was welcome to,)and wanted the gatorade. :p I
think he was mostly looking to get adopted but would
have taken any opportunity that presented. I tried the
dismount and block technique as I walked to the next
descent. If he had been full grown and healthy I don't
think the bike barrier would have given him much
trouble. He would've been too strong and fast.

So, I don't have much confidence in those scenarios
which recommend dismounted combat with full-on war
dogs. If you're on the bike and can sprint that's the
best play I think. Just like in American Flyers with
the "training partner".

I agree with the OP's lack of confidence in LEA in the
rural South. Go through the steps so you can say you
did, but don't hold your breath.

Mike