Re: Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase

Buck

Guest
Steve Sr. wrote:
> I am begining to think about pepper spray but it has similar
> limitations in aiming and other consequences if the wind happens to
> blow the wrong way. Another possibility would be a handful of rocks
> thrown simultaneously. I would definitely hit the target but doubt
> that I would cause enough damage to work more than once.
>
> Can anybody offer any other suggestions for dealing with the dog?
>
> BTW, this is in a lower income rural area. I have thought about
> talking to the local sheriff but don't think it would do much good or
> work more than once. Even though there is probably a leash law the
> sheriff probably likes dogs more than bikers!

Since moving to rural Arkansas, I have had to deal with a number of
dogs. The most effective training tool I have found is pepper spray. It
usually takes three or four times, but they do learn eventually.

This also works to train "owners" of dogs. No, don't pepper spray the
owner unless absolutely necessary. But once they learn that they will
have to clean up their dog every time it chases you, they learn to keep
the animal on a leash or in a fenced yard.

If this is outside of a city limits, you may find that there are no
leash laws or even laws to deal with menacing animals. The recommended
method is to shoot the dog.

Good luck!
-Buck