Re: Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase

Ken

Guest
"Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> One of the routes that a co-worker and I regularly ride has a house
> (trailer) where two dogs reside. The first is an older yellow lab mix
> and the second is a much younger (and faster!) pit-bull.
>
> Both of these dogs act like they are out for blood although neither
> has caught me or my co-worker yet. But they have come too close for my
> comfort. The road at this point in the ride is slightly uphill making
> it hard to out run them although on a good day the lab gives up fairly
> easily.
>
> The pit bull is a different story. He tries to circle around you and
> get in your way to slow you down. One day he got close enough to my
> left heel that I unclipped and kicked him in the head as hard as I
> could. Boy did he act surprised that his "prey" fought back!
>
> Unfortunately that lesson didn't take. Since then we thought that we
> had him trained by squirting water from our water bottles at him but
> lately even this has begun to loose its effectiveness.
>
> Obviously persuing the owner would be a waste of time so we are
> looking for other suggestions to train the dog not to chase bikes. I
> have thought about trying bitter apple in a squirt gun but have been
> unable to find an appropriate sized squirt gun anymore. I also wonder
> about aiming such a small stream of liquid at a moving target while on
> a moving bicycle.
>
> I am begining to think about pepper spray but it has similar
> limitations in aiming and other consequences if the wind happens to
> blow the wrong way. Another possibility would be a handful of rocks
> thrown simultaneously. I would definitely hit the target but doubt
> that I would cause enough damage to work more than once.
>
> A pellet gun would probably inflict enough pain on the dog that he
> wouldn't forget soon, but I don't have one and don't really want to
> buy one just for this purpose if I can avoid it.
>
> Can anybody offer any other suggestions for dealing with the dog?
>
> BTW, this is in a lower income rural area. I have thought about
> talking to the local sheriff but don't think it would do much good or
> work more than once. Even though there is probably a leash law the
> sheriff probably likes dogs more than bikers!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Well when I was a younger kid, I used to have the same problem but with an
old Irish Setter, I used to carry a little water pistol filled with vinegar
and water. I remember it worked like a charm.

Ken

Ken wrote:
> Well when I was a younger kid, I used to have the same problem but with an
> old Irish Setter, I used to carry a little water pistol filled with vinegar
> and water. I remember it worked like a charm.
>
> Ken

Maybe, just to be legal you should get one of those CO2 cartridge power
pistols and hit the dog with as many rounds as you can get out of the
cartridge.
Bill Baka