Re: Recumbent OUCH!

> news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:

[....]
> I never found the Cobra seat at all comfortable. Easy Racers soon went to
> a mesh back seat with a foam base copied from RANS. Some like the hard
> shell seat because it gives you marginally a greater push on the pedals,
> but it is not worth it. [...]

The Great Saint is right about one thing. I have a Cobra seat for my Easy
Racer as well as an older RANS short back seat. The Cobra seat gives me mild
recumbent butt after an hour or so. I can walk off the RB in a few minutes,
but it will come back in another hour or less. The RANS seat is by far the
best choice for long distance riding.

Sorry, but I hit the send button prematurely. My bad as people used to say.

"Wilson Warmouth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Wilson Warmouth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> The Great Saint is right about one thing. I have a Cobra seat for my
>>> Easy Racer as well as an older RANS short back seat. The Cobra seat
>>> gives me mild recumbent butt after an hour or so. I can walk off the RB
>>> in a few minutes, but it will come back in another hour or less. The
>>> RANS seat is by far the best choice for long distance riding.

>> Wilson, you have a very fine recumbent bicycle and it is a shame that you
>> cannot get total comfort on it all day. The main problem with the Easy
>> Racer is that it has a low bottom bracket (BB) which prohibits much seat
>> lean back. But nevertheless that is the solution. Try to lean back the
>> seat as much as possible without losing power to the pedals. You need to
>> get some of the weight off your butt and onto your back. This is much
>> easier to do with a recumbent with a higher BB.
>>
>> I have often thought that the ideal height of the BB is about 4 inches
>> below the seat. That optimizes power to the pedals and you can still get
>> a good seat lean back. Ideally, you should never get recumbent butt. That
>> defeats the whole purpose of a recumbent.
>>
>> I also have the RANS short back seat on my Tailwind and it was the first
>> manufactured seat I ever had that did not cause my rear end any grief.
>> For some reason, RANS always knew how to make pretty good seats.

Clarification for the Great Saint who I believe was erroneously feeling my
pain. The RANS short back seat was a successful factory adaptation to my
Easy Racer GRR for long distance comfort. This was briefly an Easy Racer
option during the development of their proprietary "Cool Back" seat. It is
interchangeable with a slightly used Cobra seat that I also bought for an
additional $100. As you might expect the RANS seat is the one that stays
on the bike with the Cobra seat only fitted if a short fast ride or a
different riding experience is the order of the day. It should be noted
that these seats create their own subtle handling differences for the bike.
The preferred handling with the slightly higher and slightly more laid back
RANS seat is what has been imprinted on me. RB on the GRR does not occur
with the RANS seat.

I have no quibbles with the Great Saints observations on Easy Racers
GRR/Tour Easy geometry and ergonomics.

"gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Wilson Warmouth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "32GO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Perhaps a simpler solution might be to leave the chain on the larger
>> chain ring when you park the bike/trike. That might mean the difference
>> between paying for a pair of pants going to the cleaners as opposed to
>> paying for a person going to the emergency room for a relatively minor
>> injury.
>>

> Why would someone go to the hospital for a minor injury? That seems rather
> a stretch of credulity.

The root cause would be the absence of what the health care people call
effective cost containment. Someone decides to keep their SWB USS recumbent
bike into their office cubicle (which I consider, to use your words, is
rather a stretch of credulity). Then someone not expecting a such an odd
thing in the workplace somehow walks into the greasy exposed chainring that
is peeking out of from the cubicle and manages to puncture their leg on it.
They go to the emergency room because it is a quick solution to their
problem and after all someone else is damn well going to pay for it.

Once upon a time a friend of mine was the night physician in the local
hospital emergency room. People would show up with imaginary injuries and
ailments. He said they came because it was the middle of the night and they
were lonely and wanted attention. He wasn't kidding. He said it happend
all the time.