Re: Recumbents in traffic?

donquijote1954

Guest
On Jan 24, 8:41 am, Harry Brogan <[email protected]> wrote:

> >If he wants to live long --and healthy-- I'd advise that he gets a
> >stationary bike.

> >They come cheaply these days.

> Say Ed.......You know what???? Perhaps you should make comments on
> things you ACTUALLY know about. I ride in Lincoln, Nebraska on a
> DAILY basis. Meaning I do NOT own a car and am quite happy with that.
> Even when the weather is below zero. "Taking the lane" is something
> that is taught by numerous bicycle instructors. As for riding in the
> street. Around here, when it snow, the sidewalks get....guess
> what...COVERED....and they are often not scooped until later in the
> day...and sometimes not even scooped at all. When the plows come by
> the scooped snow that the leave behind is often left right next to the
> curb. Forcing one to negotiate quite a number of large ice chunks
> when entering or leaving the sidewalk. Makes for pure hell on rims.
>
> Guess in Minnesota it doesn't snow now????? Get your head out of
> your butt before you make comments to me. I plonked you long ago and
> the only time I see ANY of your sorry-ass comments iis when someone
> puts them in quotes.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I'm glad things work good for you in your frozen bicycle
paradise, but down here in tropical Miami the roads remain "no man's
land." Perhaps you live in a Blue State or something.

"Upon leaving downtown Miami, I ride west along SW 7th Street, a major
east-west surface corridor through the Little Havana neighborhood.
This primarily residential street is one-way and has three travel
lanes. Though the posted speed limit is 30mph, I think I bike closer
to the speed limit than anyone drives. I would like to take more
pictures of this street, but I am usually too busy surviving.

Nonetheless, the street is absolutely inhospitable to the cyclist,
which is why the majority of people ride on the sidewalks."

http://www.planetizen.com/node/26876

donquijote1954 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 8:41 am, Harry Brogan <[email protected]> wrote:

[cuuuuuuut]

> Nonetheless, the street is absolutely inhospitable to the cyclist,
> which is why the majority of people ride on the sidewalks."

But pedestrians and bicycles does not match either.
Thats why i am happy that we in Denmark, and other
european countries have divided it into 3. Besides
roads for cars and sideWALKS for pedestrians, we have
a 3. part especially for bicycling. It works very
well.

In the cities where the bicycles cross a road, like
where roads cross each other, we usually color the
path for bicycles with a light blue color to indicate
where bicycles drive and where cars drive.

JonB

On Jan 24, 12:19 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
> > On Jan 24, 8:41 am, Harry Brogan <[email protected]> wrote:

> [cuuuuuuut]
>
> > Nonetheless, the street is absolutely inhospitable to the cyclist,
> > which is why the majority of people ride on the sidewalks."

> But pedestrians and bicycles does not match either.
> Thats why i am happy that we in Denmark, and other
> european countries have divided it into 3. Besides
> roads for cars and sideWALKS for pedestrians, we have
> a 3. part especially for bicycling. It works very
> well.
>
> In the cities where the bicycles cross a road, like
> where roads cross each other, we usually color the
> path for bicycles with a light blue color to indicate
> where bicycles drive and where cars drive.
>
> JonB

I know pedestrians and bikes don't mix, but it's a survival strategy
only.

I got this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOwp3U7wgI

donquijote1954 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:19 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> donquijote1954 wrote:
>>> On Jan 24, 8:41 am, Harry Brogan <[email protected]> wrote:

>> [cuuuuuuut]
>>
>>> Nonetheless, the street is absolutely inhospitable to the cyclist,
>>> which is why the majority of people ride on the sidewalks."

>> But pedestrians and bicycles does not match either.
>> Thats why i am happy that we in Denmark, and other
>> european countries have divided it into 3. Besides
>> roads for cars and sideWALKS for pedestrians, we have
>> a 3. part especially for bicycling. It works very
>> well.
>>
>> In the cities where the bicycles cross a road, like
>> where roads cross each other, we usually color the
>> path for bicycles with a light blue color to indicate
>> where bicycles drive and where cars drive.
>>
>> JonB

> I know pedestrians and bikes don't mix, but it's a survival strategy
> only.
>
> I got this...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOwp3U7wgI

Yes, that shows the 3 different parts. But also, that
some bikes does not always follow the law.

JonB

donquijote1954 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 1:10 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> donquijote1954 wrote:
>>> I know pedestrians and bikes don't mix, but it's a survival strategy
>>> only.
>>> I got this...
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOwp3U7wgI

>> Yes, that shows the 3 different parts. But also, that
>> some bikes does not always follow the law.
>>
>> JonB- Hide quoted text -

> Well, they get exposed to the cars, don't they?

exposed and exposed. Usually we have 3 levels
with the bicycle "road" 4-6 inches above the
car road, and the sidewalk 2-4 inches above the
bicycle road.

> I hear about you having bike lanes on every major road...

We have in the cities and some parts on the country
side.

JonB

On Jan 24, 1:34 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
> >> Yes, that shows the 3 different parts. But also, that
> >> some bikes does not always follow the law.

> >> JonB- Hide quoted text -

> > Well, they get exposed to the cars, don't they?

> exposed and exposed. Usually we have 3 levels
> with the bicycle "road" 4-6 inches above the
> car road, and the sidewalk 2-4 inches above the
> bicycle road.

Neat idea. It's gonna take our road designers many years to figure
that out.

> > I hear about you having bike lanes on every major road...

> We have in the cities and some parts on the country
> side.
>
> JonB- Hide quoted text -

Great. Happy cycling!

Here, though I own 3 bikes, I only use one to the supermarket, barely
1 mile away. And now the stationary bike will really help things. The
road in front of me is just like the one described above, 3 lane with
no room for bikes. The car to bike ratio must be like 10,000 to 1.

Even though I live at the beach, within 10 miles of very attractive
places, I don't have any use for my bikes. Oh, I hang my hats on
them. ;)

donquijote1954 wrote:
> On Jan 24, 1:34 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> donquijote1954 wrote:

[cuuuuuuut]

>>> Well, they get exposed to the cars, don't they?

>> exposed and exposed. Usually we have 3 levels
>> with the bicycle "road" 4-6 inches above the
>> car road, and the sidewalk 2-4 inches above the
>> bicycle road.

> Neat idea. It's gonna take our road designers many years to figure
> that out.

I'm not so sure. I read the road engineers in the
Netherlands export their knowledge alot more than
what we do in Denmark.

JonB

On Jan 24, 3:08 pm, Jon Bendtsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:

> [cuuuuuuut]

> >> exposed and exposed. Usually we have 3 levels
> >> with the bicycle "road" 4-6 inches above the
> >> car road, and the sidewalk 2-4 inches above the
> >> bicycle road.

> > Neat idea. It's gonna take our road designers many years to figure
> > that out.

> I'm not so sure. I read the road engineers in the
> Netherlands export their knowledge alot more than
> what we do in Denmark.
>
> JonB

Yeah, but they can only do that when people are willing to
listen... ;)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it."
- Upton Sinclair

Hey, I thought I'd be honest to tell you that my girlfriend reminded
me other uses we've got for the bikes...

"you forgot to say that also your girlfriend hangs her cloths"

And then I tell her...

"No, then I'd have to be honest and say you also hang your underwear."

Here's another clip from Denmark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAgt4Gt7_4o&feature=related

On Jan 24, 5:01 pm, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jon Bendtsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > donquijote1954 wrote:
> >> On Jan 24, 8:41 am, Harry Brogan <[email protected]> wrote:

> > [cuuuuuuut]

> >> Nonetheless, the street is absolutely inhospitable to the cyclist,
> >> which is why the majority of people ride on the sidewalks."

> > But pedestrians and bicycles does not match either.
> > Thats why i am happy that we in Denmark, and other
> > european countries have divided it into 3. Besides
> > roads for cars and sideWALKS for pedestrians, we have
> > a 3. part especially for bicycling. It works very
> > well.

> Hells Bells, no one walks on sidewalks anymore in America. We gave up on
> that about a generation ago. Sidewalks in small towns are especially
> deserted. In fact, the newer sections of town will not even have sidewalks..
>
> > In the cities where the bicycles cross a road, like
> > where roads cross each other, we usually color the
> > path for bicycles with a light blue color to indicate
> > where bicycles drive and where cars drive.

> I am sure you have to be very careful wherever a bike path crosses a road.
> Also, I am not much in favor of bike lanes. I prefer my own separate bike
> path always, especially in metro areas.

I think this answers your concern...

On Jan 24, 5:23 pm, Jens Müller <[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 schrieb:
>
> >> Real democracy is based on abolishing apartheid based on power source.-Hide quoted text -

> > What you mean, that Holland or America practice apartheid? I think
> > America practices discrimination only...

> The Netherlands do, from what I know.
>
> The UK, e.g., does not.

Well, if you have to fend for yourself on dangerous roads, then the
government is discriminating against you. This quote applies here...

powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." -Paulo
Freire

In other words, the cyclist is the powerless, whose power is next to
nothing. Sort of like an insect. You'll be lucky if the car doesn't
leave the scene, something very common.

But if you are separated by bike paths (not bike lanes) though it
constitutes apartheid, it's a welcome separation in order to gain
safety. The difference between discrimination and apartheid is
important. At least when it comes to bicycle riding.