Re: Red light jumper

Brimstone

Guest
francis wrote:
> I have been suffering with back problems recently (I resemble the sign
> ‘elderly people ahead’) & have been using a walking stick to aid
> walking.
> The other day I was crossing Wimbledon Broadway on a light controlled
> pedestrian crossing (the green man was still lit), about half across
> the road a cyclist who was colour blind (he could not tell red from
> green) decided to jump the red light & almost knock me down.
> In my panic I am afraid that I stuck my walking stick into his front
> wheel of his bike, this resulted in a spectacular upside down crash.
> The cyclist did not seem to be hurt to much as he seemed to be able to
> speak quite well to me (and at length)
> What I want to ask is should I have offered to compensate him for the
> damage to his bike & shirt (it was covered in blood) or should I have
> stuck the handle of the walking stick in his gob?

I think the polite thing would have been to take his name and address and
forwarded them to the appropriate authorities.

On 13 Mar, 17:48, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> francis wrote:
> > I have been suffering with back problems recently (I resemble the sign
> > 'elderly people ahead') & have been using a walking stick to aid
> > walking.
> > The other day I was crossing Wimbledon Broadway on a light controlled
> > pedestrian crossing (the green man was still lit), about half across
> > the road a cyclist who was colour blind (he could not tell red from
> > green) decided to jump the red light & almost knock me down.
> > In my panic I am afraid that I stuck my walking stick into his front
> > wheel of his bike, this resulted in a spectacular upside down crash.
> > The cyclist did not seem to be hurt to much as he seemed to be able to
> > speak quite well to me (and at length)
> > What I want to ask is should I have offered to compensate him for the
> > damage to his bike & shirt (it was covered in blood) or should I have
> > stuck the handle of the walking stick in his gob?

> I think the polite thing would have been to take his name and address and
> forwarded them to the appropriate authorities.

Not that they'd do anything. The first incident (the accidental stick
in the wheel) was fine, assaulting him with stick in gob is sadly not
fine.

I dont think a cyclist has to legally stop after an accident (unlike a
motor vehicle), but you could always try to sue for any damage to your
stick.

Brimstone wrote:
> francis wrote:
>> I have been suffering with back problems recently (I resemble the sign
>> ‘elderly people ahead’) & have been using a walking stick to aid
>> walking.
>> The other day I was crossing Wimbledon Broadway on a light controlled
>> pedestrian crossing (the green man was still lit), about half across
>> the road a cyclist who was colour blind (he could not tell red from
>> green) decided to jump the red light & almost knock me down.
>> In my panic I am afraid that I stuck my walking stick into his front
>> wheel of his bike, this resulted in a spectacular upside down crash.
>> The cyclist did not seem to be hurt to much as he seemed to be able to
>> speak quite well to me (and at length)
>> What I want to ask is should I have offered to compensate him for the
>> damage to his bike & shirt (it was covered in blood) or should I have
>> stuck the handle of the walking stick in his gob?
>>

> I think the polite thing would have been to take his name and address and
> forwarded them to the appropriate authorities.

Do you think it likely that he would give his name & address?
Unlike a car their is no registration number to take.
A stick in the gob is a bit over the top unless Francis was attacked,
perhaps Francis should have fallen on the ground & feigned injury, then
maybe he would have got the compensation or at least the sympathy.
I wonder what you know who thinks, pedestrian & cyclist, obviously
neither can be blamed.

--
Tony the Dragon

Tony Dragon wrote:
> Brimstone wrote:
>> francis wrote:
>>> I have been suffering with back problems recently (I resemble the sign
>>> ‘elderly people ahead’) & have been using a walking stick to aid
>>> walking.
>>> The other day I was crossing Wimbledon Broadway on a light controlled
>>> pedestrian crossing (the green man was still lit), about half across
>>> the road a cyclist who was colour blind (he could not tell red from
>>> green) decided to jump the red light & almost knock me down.
>>> In my panic I am afraid that I stuck my walking stick into his front
>>> wheel of his bike, this resulted in a spectacular upside down crash.
>>> The cyclist did not seem to be hurt to much as he seemed to be able to
>>> speak quite well to me (and at length)
>>> What I want to ask is should I have offered to compensate him for the
>>> damage to his bike & shirt (it was covered in blood) or should I have
>>> stuck the handle of the walking stick in his gob?
>>>

>> I think the polite thing would have been to take his name and address
>> and forwarded them to the appropriate authorities.
>>

> Do you think it likely that he would give his name & address?
> Unlike a car their is no registration number to take.
> A stick in the gob is a bit over the top unless Francis was attacked,
> perhaps Francis should have fallen on the ground & feigned injury, then
> maybe he would have got the compensation or at least the sympathy.
> I wonder what you know who thinks, pedestrian & cyclist, obviously
> neither can be blamed.

But there was probably a passing killer motorist who set the whole thing
off with his unrestrained hypermobility.

--
Moving things in still pictures!

®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>But they were probably passing a killer motorist who set the whole thing
>off with his restrained immobility.

yea, there probably was