Re: Red lights jumping - interesting survey

Try answering the question

--
Tony the Dragon

On 18 May, 19:07, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> Does it make any difference?

> > Yes it does.

> >> I will ask you as well.

> > I thought that you were already.

> >> Do you agree with cyclist breaking the law?

> > Do you agree with motorists breaking the law?

> >> Please try to answer in a coherent way so there is no mistake in your
> >> answer.

> > Coherent, with no mistakes? I'd stand out on uk.transport.

> OK thanks for the thick answers, now tell me
> Why does it makes a difference?
> Do you agree with cyclists breaking the law?
> And to answer your question, no I do not agree with anybody breaking the
> law (including motorists) see its quite easy.

Even Graf von Stauffenberg?

On 18 May, 20:17, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <66c96bc7-16bc-4851-b9d6-
> [email protected]>,Squashmesays...
>
> > Does speed kill?

> About 3 hours ago I topped 100MPH on a NSL SC B road in a 21 year old
> car.
> In a fortnight I expect to top 90MPH in flat out acceleration testing
> at least 3 times in one morning. I expect to be posting that evening.
>
> Richard Hammond crashed at 288MPH but managed to complete another
> series of Top Gear.
>
> So I guess that's answered that question.
>
> --

Nobody dies, until they do.

On 18 May, 20:18, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> You do seem to have the ability either not to be able to read, or not to
> >> be able to understand what you read.
> >> He said very clearly "I don't. Her speed was illegal"

> > He said "Elsewhere it would have been safe." He did not define
> > elsewhere. He did not say whether he was talking about places with
> > speed limits or not. I have assumed that he meant that the motorist
> > could have broken the speed limit safely elsewhere. Probably where no
> > annoying cyclist got in her way.

> > I take it that you agree with the rest of what I said.

> He said her speed was illegal, just because a faster speed might be safe
> it would still be illegal, indeed a legal speed might not be safe.

Ehhhh????

On 18 May, 20:26, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> What, not even Tony Dragon and Brimstone? So whom were all your

> >> Perhaps calling them a chorus was a bit OTT, but there's enough of us
> >> for three-part harmony now.

> >> Because the ones who express concern ARE concerned?

> >> I am certainly concerned about risk to my family and to me as
> >> pedestrians. I post as a pedestrian as well as a driver and (occasional)
> >> PT user.

> > Why? You are prepared to risk killing others.

> >> I take it you aren't going to give a coherent answer to the question:
> >> "Do you agree with cyclists breaking the law?"?

> > Have I said that I do?

> Try answering the question

God, you're a tough interrogator.
Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Tony Dragon wrote:
> Brimstone wrote:
>> JNugent wrote:
>>> Guinness is NOT necessarily good for you, Bounty is NOT the taste of
>>> paradise, British Rail ISN'T getting there, Roses DON'T grow on you

>> Why do you insist on shattering people's illusions?
>>
>> (Wanders off into the subset lamenting the fact that all the
>> Guinness he's drunk won't improve his health, that there isn't a
>> sandy beach under an impossibly blue sky with fair maidens cavorting
>> in the surf wearing skimpy bikinis in every Bounty packet, that he
>> can't get there by British Rail and that Norman Vaughan won't be
>> stopping by with a box of chocolates.)

> You mean that helicopter hovering over the motorway isn't delivering
> Black Magic?
> And as for the Flake advert!

If we are to believe Mr Nugent, then sadly not.

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 20:09, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:

>>> Does speed kill?

>> Not in isolation, no!
>>

> Quite so. It takes two to tango. One safespeeder, and one target to
> get annoyingly in the way.

Why two? Have you never heard of a single vehicle collisions?

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 20:17, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <66c96bc7-16bc-4851-b9d6-
>> [email protected]>,Squashmesays...
>>
>>> Does speed kill?

>> About 3 hours ago I topped 100MPH on a NSL SC B road in a 21 year old
>> car.
>> In a fortnight I expect to top 90MPH in flat out acceleration testing
>> at least 3 times in one morning. I expect to be posting that evening.
>>
>> Richard Hammond crashed at 288MPH but managed to complete another
>> series of Top Gear.
>>
>> So I guess that's answered that question.
>>
>> --

> Nobody dies, until they do.

So the answer to your earlier question ("Does speed kill?") is "No", isn't
it?

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 18:42, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> JNugent wrote:
>>> I'm merely wondering what windmill it is that you are tilting at.

>>> Sory about ending the sentence with a preposition.

>> (Tut, tut.)

> It is his only fault.

Just like people who ignore red traffic lights then?

> Be gentle.

That would depend on the severity and frequency of the offence.

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 19:07, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:
>>> Yes it does.
>>> I thought that you were already.
>>> Do you agree with motorists breaking the law?
>>> Coherent, with no mistakes? I'd stand out on uk.transport.

>> OK thanks for the thick answers, now tell me
>> Why does it makes a difference?
>> Do you agree with cyclists breaking the law?
>> And to answer your question, no I do not agree with anybody breaking the
>> law (including motorists) see its quite easy.

> Even Graf von Stauffenberg?

Tony the Dragon

On 18 May, 20:18, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> You do seem to have the ability either not to be able to read, or not to
> >> be able to understand what you read.
> >> He said very clearly "I don't. Her speed was illegal"

> > He said "Elsewhere it would have been safe." He did not define
> > elsewhere. He did not say whether he was talking about places with
> > speed limits or not. I have assumed that he meant that the motorist
> > could have broken the speed limit safely elsewhere. Probably where no
> > annoying cyclist got in her way.

> > I take it that you agree with the rest of what I said.

> He said her speed was illegal, just because a faster speed might be safe
> it would still be illegal, indeed a legal speed might not be safe.

What I think you are saying is that it would be OK to break the law by
speeding, because it might be safer in some unknown way. So you agree

On 18 May, 20:18, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <fa507d32-90af-4a47-9390-b3a2fc053cb1
> @b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...
>
> > So you condone breaking the speed limit "elsewhere", as long as the
> > driver thinks that it is safe. As this motorist thought that it was
> > safe, until she killed the cyclist. Speed doesn't kill, until it does.
> > If the motorist had gone through the lights at the speed at which a
> > cyclist travels, she would not have killed.

> Eating a banana doesn't kill until someone has an allergic reaction to
> it and dies from asphyxia. Are you saying we should ban bananas?

Yes, I'm with you on that one. If those bananas are killing and
injuring hundreds of people per year, then you should start a
campaign. Or have you just been annoyed by one overtaking you at speed
very closely, or even threatening to rear-end you?

On 18 May, 20:44, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> > On 18 May, 20:17, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <66c96bc7-16bc-4851-b9d6-
> >> [email protected]>,Squashmesays...

> >> About 3 hours ago I topped 100MPH on a NSL SC B road in a 21 year old
> >> car.
> >> In a fortnight I expect to top 90MPH in flat out acceleration testing
> >> at least 3 times in one morning. I expect to be posting that evening.

> >> Richard Hammond crashed at 288MPH but managed to complete another
> >> series of Top Gear.

> >> So I guess that's answered that question.

> >> --

> > Nobody dies, until they do.

> So the answer to your earlier question ("Does speed kill?") is "No", isn't
> it?

Ummm, certainly would be, if you would have accepted that speed does
kill, if Richard Hammond had died. Like Donald Campbell did.

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 20:18, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:
>>> He said "Elsewhere it would have been safe." He did not define
>>> elsewhere. He did not say whether he was talking about places with
>>> speed limits or not. I have assumed that he meant that the motorist
>>> could have broken the speed limit safely elsewhere. Probably where no
>>> annoying cyclist got in her way.
>>> I take it that you agree with the rest of what I said.

>> He said her speed was illegal, just because a faster speed might be safe
>> it would still be illegal, indeed a legal speed might not be safe.

> What I think you are saying is that it would be OK to break the law by
> speeding, because it might be safer in some unknown way. So you agree
> with motorists breaking the law.

Yes of course that is exactly what I said, you only have to read my
posts to agree with you.

--
Tony the Dragon
Whits fur ye'll no gin by ye

Squashme wrote:

> On 18 May, 18:36, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

[ ... ]

[someone else asked:]

>>> CHORUS!! There's nobody out there, Mr N. You're hearing those voices
>>> again.

>> What, not even Tony Dragon and Brimstone? So whom were all your

>> Perhaps calling them a chorus was a bit OTT, but there's enough of us
>> for three-part harmony now.

>>> Why do motorists hypocritically pretend that they are concerned about
>>> what cyclists do?

>> Because the ones who express concern ARE concerned?
>> I am certainly concerned about risk to my family and to me as
>> pedestrians. I post as a pedestrian as well as a driver and (occasional)
>> PT user.

> Why? You are prepared to risk killing others.

Don't be so stupid (not to say offensive).

>> I take it you aren't going to give a coherent answer to the question:
>> "Do you agree with cyclists breaking the law?"?

> Have I said that I do?

You could have simply answered the question when put or on any of the
occasions when it has been repeated.

On 18 May, 23:35, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:
> > On 18 May, 18:36, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
> [someone else asked:]

> >> What, not even Tony Dragon and Brimstone? So whom were all your
> >> Perhaps calling them a chorus was a bit OTT, but there's enough of us
> >> for three-part harmony now.
> >> Because the ones who express concern ARE concerned?
> >> I am certainly concerned about risk to my family and to me as
> >> pedestrians. I post as a pedestrian as well as a driver and (occasional)
> >> PT user.

> > Why? You are prepared to risk killing others.

> Don't be so stupid (not to say offensive).

Poor you. Not much of an argument, is it? I'm stupid and I've offended
you. Well, forgive me, I obviously am too stupid to know what I do.

> >> I take it you aren't going to give a coherent answer to the question:
> >> "Do you agree with cyclists breaking the law?"?

> > Have I said that I do?

> You could have simply answered the question when put or on any of the
> occasions when it has been repeated.

That was an answer. It may not be the one that you want. Tough.

Squashme wrote:
> On 18 May, 20:18, Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:
>>> He said "Elsewhere it would have been safe." He did not define
>>> elsewhere. He did not say whether he was talking about places with
>>> speed limits or not. I have assumed that he meant that the motorist
>>> could have broken the speed limit safely elsewhere. Probably where no
>>> annoying cyclist got in her way.
>>> I take it that you agree with the rest of what I said.

>> He said her speed was illegal, just because a faster speed might be safe
>> it would still be illegal, indeed a legal speed might not be safe.

> Ehhhh????

I'll try to make it easier for you to understand...

In answer to your totally incorrect statement "You defend her speed"
(referring to the motorist who drove through a red light at 45 in a 30
limit), I answered: "I don't. Her speed was illegal".

Now which bit of that is too difficult for you to understand?

I *could* (and perhaps should) have added that I did not defend her
driving through a red light (at whatever speed), but of course, my
answer was to your "point" which was solely about speed.

Brimstone wrote:
> Tony Dragon wrote:
>> Brimstone wrote:
>>> Why do you insist on shattering people's illusions?
>>>
>>> (Wanders off into the subset lamenting the fact that all the
>>> Guinness he's drunk won't improve his health, that there isn't a
>>> sandy beach under an impossibly blue sky with fair maidens cavorting
>>> in the surf wearing skimpy bikinis in every Bounty packet, that he
>>> can't get there by British Rail and that Norman Vaughan won't be
>>> stopping by with a box of chocolates.)

>> You mean that helicopter hovering over the motorway isn't delivering
>> Black Magic?
>> And as for the Flake advert!

> If we are to believe Mr Nugent, then sadly not.

"Speed kills" is simply an advertising slogan.

I can understand why Squashme thinks in terms of advertising slogans,
but most of the rest of us can think for ourselves.

In article <f3d952e1-293a-4ebe-9c44-b84d01a68329
@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Squashme says...
> On 18 May, 20:18, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <fa507d32-90af-4a47-9390-b3a2fc053cb1
> > @b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...
> >
> > > So you condone breaking the speed limit "elsewhere", as long as the
> > > driver thinks that it is safe. As this motorist thought that it was
> > > safe, until she killed the cyclist. Speed doesn't kill, until it does.
> > > If the motorist had gone through the lights at the speed at which a
> > > cyclist travels, she would not have killed.

> > Eating a banana doesn't kill until someone has an allergic reaction to
> > it and dies from asphyxia. Are you saying we should ban bananas?
> >

> Yes, I'm with you on that one. If those bananas are killing and
> injuring hundreds of people per year, then you should start a
> campaign. Or have you just been annoyed by one overtaking you at speed
> very closely, or even threatening to rear-end you?

Now that would be silly seeing as bananas are inanimate objects.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

In article <8cee58e4-d2a4-47c3-bcde-9ea9fe6eb554
@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, Squashme says...

> "A single vehicle collisions"? Most confusing. Space-time continuum
> gone bugger-up?

Car collides with tree or other non vehicle object. Single vehicle
collision.

Do you not know what the definition of collision is?