Re: Red lights jumping - interesting survey

On 19 May, 08:56, "John Rowland"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> > On 19 May, 01:06, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <8cee58e4-d2a4-47c3-bcde-9ea9fe6eb554
> >> @a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...

> >> Car collides with tree or other non vehicle object. Single vehicle
> >> collision.

> >> Do you not know what the definition of collision is?

> > No, but I have Google if I cared. I was assuming that Brimstone was
> > making some abstract joke with his "A single vehicle collisions". It
> > kind of appealed to me, but never mind. He may just have made an
> > error. Weird that, for a motorist.

> > But surely a car colliding with a tree, or a dangerous banana even,
> > still involves two objects? Still takes two to tango. A car hitting a
> > pedestrian could be seen as a single vehicle collision, I suppose. Two
> > objects, but only one vehicle?

> "Single vehicle collision" is the standard police description of a car
> driving into a bridge/tree/ditch.

Thanks

On 19 May, 09:18, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> Not in isolation, no!

> > Quite so. It takes two to tango. One safespeeder, and one target to
> > get annoyingly in the way.

> ...so we are all the architects of our own destinies!

And some of us are wearing armour, to make sure that our destiny is
staved off for as long as possible. I'm all right, Jack.

On 19 May, 11:52, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> > On 19 May, 01:06, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <8cee58e4-d2a4-47c3-bcde-9ea9fe6eb554
> >> @a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...

> >> Car collides with tree or other non vehicle object. Single vehicle
> >> collision.

> >> Do you not know what the definition of collision is?

> > No, but I have Google if I cared.

> What - you have to use Google before you understand the meaning of
> simple everyday words?

I have to, when I am up against correspondents like Conor and
yourself. Minds like steel traps. Makes my little brain whirl.

On 19 May, 11:53, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> I'll try to make it easier for you to understand...

> >> In answer to your totally incorrect statement "You defend her speed"
> >> (referring to the motorist who drove through a red light at 45 in a 30
> >> limit), I answered: "I don't. Her speed was illegal".

> >> Now which bit of that is too difficult for you to understand?

> > So you are saying that motorists who exceed the speed limit are always
> > wrong and should not do it? Good. That's a start.

> Stick in the word "intentionally" and I can agree with it.

Where should I stick it? Oh yes, one can easily forgive motorists who
are so out-to-lunch that they unintentionally exceed the speed limit.

How much better it is to be hit by a motorist who says "SMIDSY". It
makes dying that much easier.

Squashme wrote:
> On 19 May, 17:37, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <a55c3f16-e1c0-4206-8c8d-1c923229c7d2@
>> 34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...

>>> No, but I have Google if I cared. I was assuming that Brimstone was
>>> making some abstract joke with his "A single vehicle collisions". It
>>> kind of appealed to me, but never mind. He may just have made an
>>> error. Weird that, for a motorist.
>>> But surely a car colliding with a tree, or a dangerous banana even,
>>> still involves two objects? Still takes two to tango. A car hitting a
>>> pedestrian could be seen as a single vehicle collision, I suppose. Two
>>> objects, but only one vehicle?

>> Are you honestly that dumb? Is a tree a vehicle? No. Therefore a tree
>> being hit by a car is a single vehicle collision even though there are
>> two objects.
>>

> Definition from Google:-
>
> collision
> Noun
> 1. a violent crash between moving objects

You've raised a cosmic question there.

Never seen "The Meaning Of Life"?

Squashme wrote:
> On 19 May, 11:54, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:
>>> Chapter and verse (and context)?

>> Aren't youn the chap who (fairly recently) attacked the City of London
>> Police for enforcing the law on traffic lights?

> Cite? Doesn't sound like me. I hate RLJers, much as I hate speeding
> motorists (or, let's be honest, often just motorists).

Fair enough - apologies.

I now realise I was getting you mixed up with spindrift, so please
accept a thousand more apologies for that insult.

On 19 May, 11:54, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Except that in neither case was the speed of the vehicle the cause
> >> of the incident.

> > it doesn't help though, and all that energy means if something happens
> > one has less time and more energy to change.

> But, as you say, something else has to go wrong before any resulting impact
> has an effect.
>
> > it is a IF though driving at 100mph doesn't mean one will die. nor is
> > nessarlly that much more of a danger than 60 or what ever the speed
> > limit is. limits are arbtury and do not cover all situations. so it
> > can be safe to be a fair amount above the limit, and sometimes the
> > limit is not a safe speed.

> > the trouble is that people get used to risks because it hasn't killed
> > them yet, driving at high speed in the driving rain, running red
> > lights etc, it doesn't have too feel it to be a very risky operation.

> All of which is immaterial unless there is an event that prevents the
> planned progress of the vehicle along its path.

Yeahhh! It's always them others, isn't it? Planned progress of the
vehicle! Planned! Progress! You do make it sound so important, so
cool, so right, so justified. What sort of scum would prevent this
action?

Reminds me of the man who fell out of a 20-storey window. As he passed
the second
storey window, he remarked, “Well, I’m all right so far!”

In article <b4ce63c4-bf1d-4980-8307-1cd017028257@
25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, Squashme says...

> Definition from Google:-
>
> collision
> Noun
> 1. a violent crash between moving objects

Dumb ****.

Still doesn't alter the fact that one vehicle was involved.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

On 19 May, 18:44, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> >> Aren't youn the chap who (fairly recently) attacked the City of London
> >> Police for enforcing the law on traffic lights?

> > Cite? Doesn't sound like me. I hate RLJers, much as I hate speeding
> > motorists (or, let's be honest, often just motorists).

> Fair enough - apologies.
>
> I now realise I was getting you mixed up with spindrift, so please
> accept a thousand more apologies for that insult.

Well, thank you for that. Mind you, for me, Spindrift has some good
points, as you might imagine.

On 19 May, 18:43, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:
> > On 19 May, 17:37, Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <a55c3f16-e1c0-4206-8c8d-1c923229c7d2@
> >> 34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,Squashmesays...

> >> Are you honestly that dumb? Is a tree a vehicle? No. Therefore a tree
> >> being hit by a car is a single vehicle collision even though there are
> >> two objects.

> > Definition from Google:-

> > collision
> > Noun
> > 1. a violent crash between moving objects

> You've raised a cosmic question there.
>
> Never seen "The Meaning Of Life"?

Sadly, I do not think that life has any meaning, apart from that which
we give it. Oh, the film, yes.

Squashme wrote:
> On 19 May, 08:29, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:

>>> Ummm, certainly would be, if you would have accepted that speed does
>>> kill, if Richard Hammond had died. Like Donald Campbell did.

>> Except that in neither case was the speed of the vehicle the cause
>> of the incident.

> If Campbell had crashed at a much slower speed, in all probability he
> would not have been in the soup.

So what, speed was not the cause of the crash whereas it was the reason for
the run.

On 19 May, 12:36, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Except that in neither case was the speed of the vehicle the cause of the
> > > incident.

> > it doesn't help though, and all that energy means if something happens
> > one has less time and more energy to change.

> Which comes down to making approprate decisions and still does not mean
> that "speed kills". AFAICS speed rarely kills, indeed I can't think of a
> single instance where speed itself has killed, can you?
>
> I used to share an office with someone who drove a car at 763mph, and he
> was very definitely alive. As indeed were the people in another office
> where several of them had driven cars at speed over 200mph. At another
> place there were others whose commute to work was done at over 1500 mph.
> Another place of work had several people who had travelled at 22,369mph
> some years previously, again all of them alive.

My uncle was shot down near Orleans. I assume that he might have
survived the parting from his Lancaster, if he had had a parachute to
slow his speed of descent, but, without it, I assume that he reached
terminal velocity, which could have been exhilarating, if the ground
had not impeded his (un)planned progress.

> What kills isn't speed, what kills is inappropriate use of speed and
> more often even than that, what kills is stupidity. That stupidity is
> also often not that of the person travelling at speed, but the stupidity
> of someone else. However in our society, we seem to condone acts of
> criminal stupidity and negligence just as long as the person doing the
> bimbling is judged to be "nice" or to "have good intentions".

Travelling at speed in the proximity of potential "bimblers" is
criminally stupid and negligent.

This stuff about "bimbling" does reveal quite a bit about you. Well,
it would, if it hadn't been made plain long ago. Have you any actual
examples of society condoning these "bimbling" acts? Or is it just a
feeling?

On 19 May, 19:09, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:

> >> Except that in neither case was the speed of the vehicle the cause
> >> of the incident.

> > If Campbell had crashed at a much slower speed, in all probability he
> > would not have been in the soup.

> So what, speed was not the cause of the crash whereas it was the reason for
> the run.

Crashing at high speed killed him.

Squashme wrote:
> On 19 May, 19:09, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:

>>> If Campbell had crashed at a much slower speed, in all probability
>>> he would not have been in the soup.

>> So what, speed was not the cause of the crash whereas it was the
>> reason for the run.

> Crashing at high speed killed him.

So what?

On 19 May, 19:30, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashmewrote:

> >> So what, speed was not the cause of the crash whereas it was the
> >> reason for the run.

> > Crashing at high speed killed him.

> So what?

Speed killed.

On May 19, 11:38 pm, Squashme <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 19 May, 19:30, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Squashmewrote:

> > > Crashing at high speed killed him.

> > So what?

> Speed killed.

You are Ysätters-Kajsa AICMFP

Peter

On 19 May, 23:49, PeterG <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 19, 11:38 pm,Squashme<[email protected]> wrote:

> > > So what?

> > Speed killed.

> You are Ysätters-Kajsa AICMFP

"Is your name Conrad?" "No." "Is your name Harry?" "No." "Is your name
perhaps, Rumpelstiltskin?"
"Some demon has told you that, some demon has told you that!" screamed
the little man, and in his rage drove his right foot so far into the
ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized
the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.

Straw or gold, that's all I can offer you.

On May 20, 8:29 am, Squashme <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 19 May, 23:49, PeterG <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Speed killed.

> > You are Ysätters-Kajsa AICMFP

> "Is your name Conrad?" "No." "Is your name Harry?" "No." "Is your name
> perhaps, Rumpelstiltskin?"
> "Some demon has told you that, some demon has told you that!" screamed
> the little man, and in his rage drove his right foot so far into the
> ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized
> the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.
>
> Straw or gold, that's all I can offer you.

Does that mean I don't get my five pounds?

Peter

Squashme wrote:
> On 19 May, 19:30, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashmewrote:

>>> Crashing at high speed killed him.

>> So what?

> Speed killed.

No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed on the
surface of the water in its normal fashion.

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Tue, 20 May 2008, Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:
> >
> > Speed killed.

> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed
> on the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

Yeah, yeah.

And jumping off a tall building doesn't kill, it's only the stopping
abruptly at the bottom that does that.

Cutting someone's throat won't kill them either - it's interrupting
the blood and consequently oxygen flow to the brain that does that.

Do you really think that these sort of assertions are sensible?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|