Re: Red lights jumping - interesting survey

Ian Smith wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
> On Tue, 20 May 2008, Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashme wrote:
>>>
>>> Speed killed.

>> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed
>> on the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

> Yeah, yeah.
>
> And jumping off a tall building doesn't kill, it's only the stopping
> abruptly at the bottom that does that.
>
> Cutting someone's throat won't kill them either - it's interrupting
> the blood and consequently oxygen flow to the brain that does that.
>
> Do you really think that these sort of assertions are sensible?

If a simple statement of fact isn't sensible what is?

On 20 May, 08:39, PeterG <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 20, 8:29 am,Squashme<[email protected]> wrote:

> > > You are Ysätters-Kajsa AICMFP

> > "Is your name Conrad?" "No." "Is your name Harry?" "No." "Is your name
> > perhaps, Rumpelstiltskin?"
> > "Some demon has told you that, some demon has told you that!" screamed
> > the little man, and in his rage drove his right foot so far into the
> > ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized
> > the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.

> > Straw or gold, that's all I can offer you.

> Does that mean I don't get my five pounds?

Worse than that. I get your firstborn.

On 20 May, 09:06, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:

> >> So what?

> > Speed killed.

> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed on the
> surface of the water in its normal fashion.

Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

Squashme <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

>> > Speed killed.

>> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed on
>> the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

> Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
> the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

You're missing the rather relevant point that he'd have survived at that
speed, if there hadn't BEEN a crash. He already HAD survived one run at
that speed.

On May 20, 6:00 pm, Squashme <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 20 May, 08:39, PeterG <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Is your name Conrad?" "No." "Is your name Harry?" "No." "Is your name
> > > perhaps, Rumpelstiltskin?"
> > > "Some demon has told you that, some demon has told you that!" screamed
> > > the little man, and in his rage drove his right foot so far into the
> > > ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized
> > > the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.

> > > Straw or gold, that's all I can offer you.

> > Does that mean I don't get my five pounds?

> Worse than that. I get your firstborn.

Oh please come round & collect, it might be a way of feeing up a
bedroom.

Peter

Squashme wrote:
> On 20 May, 09:06, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashme wrote:

>>> Speed killed.

>> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed
>> on the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

> Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
> the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was that
caused Bluebird to flip) then he would have completed the run and still been
alive. Speed does not kill.

On 20 May, 18:57, Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like they
> were saying:

> >> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed on
> >> the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

> > Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
> > the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

> You're missing the rather relevant point that he'd have survived at that
> speed, if there hadn't BEEN a crash. He already HAD survived one run at
> that speed.

If there hadn't been a crash, I don't think that we would have been
discussing him at all. But there was.

On 20 May, 18:58, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:

> >> No it didn't. If it did he would have died even if the boat stayed
> >> on the surface of the water in its normal fashion.

> > Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
> > the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

> If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was that
> caused Bluebird to flip) then he would have completed the run and still been
> alive. Speed does not kill.

If he had hit an obstruction at 10 mph, he would not have flipped. But
he did, at over 300mph. And died. You could blame the boat for
breaking up, I suppose.

Squashme <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

>> > Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even
>> > if the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

>> You're missing the rather relevant point that he'd have survived at
>> that speed, if there hadn't BEEN a crash. He already HAD survived one
>> run at that speed.

> If there hadn't been a crash, I don't think that we would have been
> discussing him at all. But there was.

<shrug> Might as well blame it on painting the boat blue.

"Brimstone" <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

>> Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
>> the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

> If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was that
> caused Bluebird to flip)

They rushed the turn-around, and tried to do the return run before the
wake of the previous run had settled.

So, in a way, speed was indeed responsible for the crash - but the speed
they turned the boat round, not necessarily the speed the boat was
travelling at.

On 20 May, 19:08, Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like they
> were saying:

> >> You're missing the rather relevant point that he'd have survived at
> >> that speed, if there hadn't BEEN a crash. He already HAD survived one
> >> run at that speed.

> > If there hadn't been a crash, I don't think that we would have been
> > discussing him at all. But there was.

> <shrug> Might as well blame it on painting the boat blue.

If the paint had lead in it, he would have died much, much later,
surely.

Squashme wrote:
> On 20 May, 18:58, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squashme wrote:

>>> Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even
>>> if the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

>> If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was
>> that caused Bluebird to flip) then he would have completed the run
>> and still been alive. Speed does not kill.

> If he had hit an obstruction at 10 mph, he would not have flipped. But
> he did, at over 300mph. And died. You could blame the boat for
> breaking up, I suppose.

What would have been the point in travelling at 10mph when he was trying to
set a high speed record?

On 20 May, 19:10, Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Brimstone" <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much
> like they were saying:
>
> >> Yes it does. If it didn't, he would have died in the accident, even if
> >> the boat had been travelling at 10mph.

> > If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was that
> > caused Bluebird to flip)

> They rushed the turn-around, and tried to do the return run before the
> wake of the previous run had settled.
>
> So, in a way, speed was indeed responsible for the crash - but the speed
> they turned the boat round, not necessarily the speed the boat was
> travelling at.

"Now you never get nowhere if you’re too hasty"

On 20 May, 19:18, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:

> >> If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was
> >> that caused Bluebird to flip) then he would have completed the run
> >> and still been alive. Speed does not kill.

> > If he had hit an obstruction at 10 mph, he would not have flipped. But
> > he did, at over 300mph. And died. You could blame the boat for
> > breaking up, I suppose.

> What would have been the point in travelling at 10mph when he was trying to
> set a high speed record?

He could have crept up on it.

Squashme wrote:
> On 20 May, 19:18, "Brimstone" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> What would have been the point in travelling at 10mph when he was
>> trying to set a high speed record?

> He could have crept up on it.

Have you ever tries creeping about on water?

Squashme wrote:
> On 20 May, 19:10, Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Brimstone" <[email protected]> gurgled happily,
>> sounding much like they were saying:

>>> If the boat hadn't hit the floating obstruction (or whatever it was
>>> that caused Bluebird to flip)

>> They rushed the turn-around, and tried to do the return run before
>> the wake of the previous run had settled.
>>
>> So, in a way, speed was indeed responsible for the crash - but the
>> speed they turned the boat round, not necessarily the speed the boat
>> was travelling at.

> "Now you never get nowhere if you’re too hasty"

In this instance that is untrue. Campbell just didn't get where he wanted to
be.

Brimstone wrote:

[re the Donald Campbell Coniston crash, 4th January 1967:]

> What would have been the point in travelling at 10mph when he was trying to
> set a high speed record?

Safety first.

Speed Kills, apparently.

So if people are going to attempt water speed records, from now on,
they're just going to have to do it at a safe speed.

Yours faithfully,

South Lakeland District Council Public Safety Department

The Luggage wrote:

> Squashme <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> So, in a way, speed was indeed responsible for the crash - but the speed
>>> they turned the boat round, not necessarily the speed the boat was
>>> travelling at.

>> "Now you never get nowhere if you’re too hasty"

> (C) Bernard Cribbins, in 'Right said Fred'
> http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/abcd/bernardcribbins_rsf.htm
> TL

I assure you that Bernard Cribbins owns neither the composing nor the
publishing rights to that song, which is credited to Ted Dicks & Myles
Rudge and published by Noel Gay Music. The recording copyright is owned,
of course, by EMI Records.