Re: Reminder to the cycling newsgroups from Ed Dolan the Great -IX

Tom Sherman

Guest
Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:56:22 -0700, JimmyMac <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

> [...]
>>> A man who obviously knows nothing of pearls or wisdom should stick to
>>> his quest of creating wildlife habitat. Should you make good your
>>> quest, I hope that you and your beloved Ed have a "wildlife" together
>>> in your own Personal Garden of Eden. SInce it would be off-limits to
>>> humans you two shold have it all to yourselves.

>> Thank you for your non-pearl of non-wisdom.

> All Jim McNamra knows how to do is to stalk. He does not have a clue about
> your expertise on how mountain biking harms hiking trails and how it harms
> nature in general....

Kind of silly to worry about off-road bicycling harming nature, when the
only thing that will save most ecosystems on the planet is mass hominid
sterilization. Most larger mammals (including possibly hominids), birds
and fish will be extinct in 100 years or so, the forests will be gone,
the topsoil depleted and the lakes, rivers and oceans fouled. All
because people put their personal desire to breed excessively ahead of
the general welfare of the species and planet.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:00:58 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:56:22 -0700, JimmyMac <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:

>> [...]
>>> Thank you for your non-pearl of non-wisdom.

>> All Jim McNamra knows how to do is to stalk. He does not have a clue about
>> your expertise on how mountain biking harms hiking trails and how it harms
>> nature in general....

>Kind of silly to worry about off-road bicycling harming nature, when the
>only thing that will save most ecosystems on the planet is mass hominid
>sterilization. Most larger mammals (including possibly hominids), birds
>and fish will be extinct in 100 years or so, the forests will be gone,
>the topsoil depleted and the lakes, rivers and oceans fouled. All
>because people put their personal desire to breed excessively ahead of
>the general welfare of the species and planet.

You need to distinguish between NUMBERS of humans, and their BEHAVIOR.
ONE human with atomic weapons can do more harm than the rest of the
population combined. That can't be THAT hard to understand. BOTH are
important, not just population.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:00:58 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> [...]
>>> All Jim McNamra knows how to do is to stalk. He does not have a clue about
>>> your expertise on how mountain biking harms hiking trails and how it harms
>>> nature in general....

>> Kind of silly to worry about off-road bicycling harming nature, when the
>> only thing that will save most ecosystems on the planet is mass hominid
>> sterilization. Most larger mammals (including possibly hominids), birds
>> and fish will be extinct in 100 years or so, the forests will be gone,
>> the topsoil depleted and the lakes, rivers and oceans fouled. All
>> because people put their personal desire to breed excessively ahead of
>> the general welfare of the species and planet.

> You need to distinguish between NUMBERS of humans, and their BEHAVIOR.
> ONE human with atomic weapons can do more harm than the rest of the
> population combined. That can't be THAT hard to understand. BOTH are
> important, not just population.

Hungry people want to eat, and damn the ecological consequences. Cold
people want shelter and a fire, damn forest sustainability. Only two
billion people can live a decent, sustainable lifestyle with the
technology foreseeable in the next century. Seven or eight billion
people can ruin the planet with stone age technology.

We are screwed. The overpopulation problem should have been addressed 40
years ago, but still has not due to religious superstitions and
individual selfishness.

Maybe the next dominant species that evolves in a few million years will
be morally better than us hominids.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Kind of silly to worry about off-road bicycling harming nature, when
> the only thing that will save most ecosystems on the planet is mass
> hominid sterilization. Most larger mammals (including possibly
> hominids), birds and fish will be extinct in 100 years or so, the
> forests will be gone, the topsoil depleted and the lakes, rivers and
> oceans fouled. All because people put their personal desire to breed
> excessively ahead of the general welfare of the species and planet.

Aren't birth rates down -- in North America and Europe, at least? If you
really believe what you wrote, then why worry about global climate change,
dietary restrictions (nanny state-imposed, that is), or hell, anything else?
We'll all be gone soon enough!

Bill "doomsayers and alarmists: contradictory?" S.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:41:39 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:00:58 -0500, Tom Sherman
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Kind of silly to worry about off-road bicycling harming nature, when the
>>> only thing that will save most ecosystems on the planet is mass hominid
>>> sterilization. Most larger mammals (including possibly hominids), birds
>>> and fish will be extinct in 100 years or so, the forests will be gone,
>>> the topsoil depleted and the lakes, rivers and oceans fouled. All
>>> because people put their personal desire to breed excessively ahead of
>>> the general welfare of the species and planet.

>> You need to distinguish between NUMBERS of humans, and their BEHAVIOR.
>> ONE human with atomic weapons can do more harm than the rest of the
>> population combined. That can't be THAT hard to understand. BOTH are
>> important, not just population.

>Hungry people want to eat, and damn the ecological consequences. Cold
>people want shelter and a fire, damn forest sustainability. Only two
>billion people can live a decent, sustainable lifestyle with the
>technology foreseeable in the next century. Seven or eight billion
>people can ruin the planet with stone age technology.

That's no excuse to ignore in=mprovements in behavior. That's like
only counting automobiles, and ignoring MPG.

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:41:39 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>> You need to distinguish between NUMBERS of humans, and their BEHAVIOR.
>>> ONE human with atomic weapons can do more harm than the rest of the
>>> population combined. That can't be THAT hard to understand. BOTH are
>>> important, not just population.

>> Hungry people want to eat, and damn the ecological consequences. Cold
>> people want shelter and a fire, damn forest sustainability. Only two
>> billion people can live a decent, sustainable lifestyle with the
>> technology foreseeable in the next century. Seven or eight billion
>> people can ruin the planet with stone age technology.

> That's no excuse to ignore in=mprovements in behavior. That's like
> only counting automobiles, and ignoring MPG.

Worrying about the ecological damage of off-road bicycling is like
concentrating on scratching a minor itch when a thermonuclear bomb is
about to go off in close proximity.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:58:52 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:41:39 -0500, Tom Sherman
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Hungry people want to eat, and damn the ecological consequences. Cold
>>> people want shelter and a fire, damn forest sustainability. Only two
>>> billion people can live a decent, sustainable lifestyle with the
>>> technology foreseeable in the next century. Seven or eight billion
>>> people can ruin the planet with stone age technology.

>> That's no excuse to ignore in=mprovements in behavior. That's like
>> only counting automobiles, and ignoring MPG.

>Worrying about the ecological damage of off-road bicycling is like
>concentrating on scratching a minor itch when a thermonuclear bomb is
>about to go off in close proximity.

Thanks for demonstrating your UTTER ignorance. There are NO
thermonuclear bombs going off in our parks or other natural areas, and
mountain biking is the most destructive activity ever allowed there.