Re: Removing a freewheel

JeffWills

Guest
HP wrote:
> My old bike has a freewheel that takes a 4-prong SunTour extractor. I
> tried it, and the result was that 3 of the 4 prongs on the freewheel broke
> off. I googled, and followed Sheldon Brown's advice and disassembled the
> freewheel. My problem now is that the freewheel core is totall smooth, and
> there is nothing for the bench vise to grip onto. Am seeking advice on how
> to remove the thing, as I have to replace a broken spoke (and have to
> replace the freewheel anyway). I've gotten some suggestions as using
> penetrating rust-remover solvents, but there is no rust. The thing is just
> torqued on really tight. I would appreciate any help.
>
> HP

The area around the freewheel pawls is the best place to grab with the
vice. If you take out the pawls, there should be a flattish surface to
grab with the bench vice.

Grip the wheel tightly so it doesn't twist, and unscrew the hub from
the freewheel. Breaking it loose sometimes takes a real heave (I've
seen heavy workbenches knocked over), but I've never had this fail.

Jeff