Re: Removing a freewheel

Donald Gillies

Guest
HP <[email protected]> writes:

>My problem now is that the freewheel core is totall smooth, and there
>is nothing for the bench vise to grip onto. Am seeking advice on how
>to remove the thing, as I have to replace a broken spoke (and have to
>replace the freewheel anyway).

Man I am so jealous. This is perhaps the ultimate application for a
large-mouthed set of vice-grip pliers. i wish i were there to
witness the utter destruction of that freewheel body .. its gonna be
WAY SWEET ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Well, there's always a pipe wrench.

Holding the pipe wrench in a vise would still let you turn the
wheel and balance the torque a little.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Well, there's always a pipe wrench.
>
> Holding the pipe wrench in a vise would still let you turn the
> wheel and balance the torque a little.

The problem with a pipe wrench (or Vice Grips) is that the jaws can
squeeze the object you're trying to remove onto the threads you're
wanting the thing off of, making the part you want off out-of-round and
tight enough that it won't turn.

Note the pipe wrench "adjusts" both with the wheel and by squeezing the
threaded lower jaw extension toward the handle. You usually put the
wrench onto the removal object with the jaws thus sprung open, pushing
as far back into the jaws as possible. Sometimes a careful adjustment
making the jaws (teeth) parallel when tight seems to help lessen
deformation, but at the expense of grip. A *long*, secure handle
extension, longer than the tire's radius, and sharp, clean teeth help a
whole lot. Get a helper to hold the wheel, make the first try a good
one by pushing "straight" and hard, using body weight, gravity, and the
proper incantation. If you have a Dremel tool or similar, sometimes a
partially sawn (so you're not into the threads you want to keep) part
will give way and loosen with proper wrench teeth location-- IOW, rip
it open and loose after making two shallow cuts close together to
weaken the part, putting the wrench teeth "south" of the cuts.

> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a retired plumber unless you tell
them.

--Tom "I love the smell of Liquid Wrench in the morning" Paterson

Tom Paterson writes:

>> Well, there's always a pipe wrench.

>> Holding the pipe wrench in a vise would still let you turn the
>> wheel and balance the torque a little.

> The problem with a pipe wrench (or Vice Grips) is that the jaws can
> squeeze the object you're trying to remove onto the threads you're
> wanting the thing off of, making the part you want off out-of-round
> and tight enough that it won't turn.

I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
never say "I don't know".

[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> Tom Paterson writes:
>
>>> Well, there's always a pipe wrench.

>>> Holding the pipe wrench in a vise would still let you turn the
>>> wheel and balance the torque a little.

>> The problem with a pipe wrench (or Vice Grips) is that the jaws can
>> squeeze the object you're trying to remove onto the threads you're
>> wanting the thing off of, making the part you want off out-of-round
>> and tight enough that it won't turn.

> I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
> want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
> never say "I don't know".

Care to elaborate?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:18:38 -0400, "Phil,
Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:

>>> The problem with a pipe wrench (or Vice Grips) is that the jaws can
>>> squeeze the object you're trying to remove onto the threads you're
>>> wanting the thing off of, making the part you want off out-of-round
>>> and tight enough that it won't turn.

>> I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
>> want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
>> never say "I don't know".

>Care to elaborate?

Dear Phil,

[Cluelessly taking a nice riposte seriously.]

Click on the links below for to compare search results for a
few posters and the phrase "I don't know"

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
jobst brandt 0 hits

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
phil lee 46 hits

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
andrew muzi 181 hits

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
carl fogel 209 hits

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
sheldon brown 263 hits

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:11:52 -0600, [email protected]
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:18:38 -0400, "Phil,
>Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:

>>> I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
>>> want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
>>> never say "I don't know".

>>Care to elaborate?

>Dear Phil,
>
>[Cluelessly taking a nice riposte seriously.]
>
>Click on the links below for to compare search results for a
>few posters and the phrase "I don't know"
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>jobst brandt 0 hits
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>phil lee 46 hits
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>andrew muzi 181 hits
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>carl fogel 209 hits
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81&as_maxd=28&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>sheldon brown 263 hits
>
>Carl Fogel

I don't know . . .

Maybe searching for
[email protected]
instead of
[email protected]
would be a good idea?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...hor:[email protected]+&safe=off
jobst brandt 292 hits

Hmmm . . . that moves him to the other end of the list,
doesn't it?

I bet I fooled a lot of people, all eager to believe the
worst.

Admittedly, Jobst may not use the phrase "I don't know"
about technical matters very often (it's usually "I don't
know what you mean"), but he can type it now and then.

He does a lot of practical testing and has a lot of
experience to draw on. If he doesn't know something, he
usually says so.

Of course, he can slip, just like anyone else:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...rl+chain+invert&rnum=1&hl=en#a14af7c4e0dc2fb0

There, something for everyone.

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
>>> want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
>>> never say "I don't know".

>>Care to elaborate?

> [Cluelessly taking a nice riposte seriously.]

> Click on the links below for to compare search results for a few
> posters and the phrase "I don't know"

You're searching on the wrong criterion. When you don't know you
don't have to post a reply. That effectively is a first defense of
self incriminating MAS.

[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:41:47 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>>>Care to elaborate?

>> [Cluelessly taking a nice riposte seriously.]

>> Click on the links below for to compare search results for a few
>> posters and the phrase "I don't know"

>You're searching on the wrong criterion. When you don't know you
>don't have to post a reply. That effectively is a first defense of
>self incriminating MAS.
>
>[email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Read my own follow-up--it looks as if I caught you, too.

Carl Fogel

On 28 Jun 2005 20:44:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>

>> I see you haven't tried this. Don't give hypothetical advice lest you
>> want to be seen as one with MAS (Male answer syndrome), one who can
>> never say "I don't know".

>Haven't tried what, exactly? --TP

Using a pipe wrench, you know exactly the material you SNIPPED.

Why'd you do that?

Ron