Re: Removing a freewheel

A shy person writes anonymously:

> My old bike has a freewheel that takes a 4-prong SunTour extractor.
> I tried it, and the result was that 3 of the 4 prongs on the
> freewheel broke off. I Googled, and followed Sheldon Brown's advice
> and disassembled the freewheel. My problem now is that the
> freewheel core is totally smooth, and there is nothing for the bench
> vise to grip onto. Am seeking advice on how to remove the thing, as
> I have to replace a broken spoke (and have to replace the freewheel
> anyway). I've gotten some suggestions as using penetrating
> rust-remover solvents, but there is no rust. The thing is just
> torqued on really tight. I would appreciate any help.

It will come off easily with an 18" pipe wrench. Besides, the body
cannot be entirely smooth, it has two pawl recesses on it.

[email protected]

torch the freewheel carrier it till it smokes
fill the hub with ice
allow unit to cool
apply pc blaster on the crack holding carrier down off course
let stand in this postion ummm as lonfg as possible
re torch but try to heat the carrier not so much the hub. timing and
finesse.
get your moves together for the wrech act
wrench while hot that is to say right after turning the torch off.
then throw it away and get a new one.

> then throw it away and get a new one.

Didja need all the stuff before this line?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> then throw it away and get a new one.

Didja need all the stuff before this line?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

gee i dunno. that's what did i. i now can rebuild a perfect freewheel
in the dark.
but there's 3-4 unworn 5 speeds in the can waiting for a redo. the
thick clusturd species from ?? 1930? like these 5 speeds are cool
stuff. ufo metal and made to run Yemen TWICE!!
the question should be "how do i or what do with the freewheel" when
the question is the chain shot? but that's the same route as
rebuilding freewheels in the dark? right?

hey look kid, the new derays are two pivoted and they...