Re: Ride Report - Leicester to Hull and Back 25/26th June (LONG)



David Bentley wrote:
> Having never travelled on a bike further than 40 miles in one go before,
> in April I decided to cycle from Leicester to Hull and back for
> charity. Being a Veterinary Dermatologist who also suffers with
> psoriasis( mildly, thank god) I decided to raise money for the Animal
> Health Trust, researching allergy and for the Psoriasis Association.
>


Great story David - glad your nasty gashed elbow didn't give you any
problems the next day. Know what you mean about the right leg though;
as I told you when we rode together, my right calf ballooned to about
twice its normal size the day after my ride. Good to know you arrived
back safely and it was a pleasure to have met you :)

Simon
 
D

David Bentley

Guest
In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>
>
>David Bentley wrote:
>> Having never travelled on a bike further than 40 miles in one go before,
>> in April I decided to cycle from Leicester to Hull and back for
>> charity. Being a Veterinary Dermatologist who also suffers with
>> psoriasis( mildly, thank god) I decided to raise money for the Animal
>> Health Trust, researching allergy and for the Psoriasis Association.
>>

>
>Great story David - glad your nasty gashed elbow didn't give you any
>problems the next day. Know what you mean about the right leg though;
>as I told you when we rode together, my right calf ballooned to about
>twice its normal size the day after my ride. Good to know you arrived
>back safely and it was a pleasure to have met you :)
>
>Simon
>


Likewise.


I think I'll do the trip again some day. I really enjoyed the trip back
on Sunday with perfect weather - it's a shame Saturday was so shitty.
I keep trying to persuade my wife that it would be nice to spend a few
days in East Yorkshire, as there are so many nice places to visit. I
can travel up by bike and leave it at the hotel whilst we spend a few
days visiting The Wolds, Spurn etc and when its time to go home I can
cycle back. My next long trip (probably next year) will be down to
Swindon where my wife's cousin lives.

BTW have you ever suffered with numb fingers/hands on your long rides?
I'm still suffering in my left hand 3 days after getting home although
has been some improvement. I daren't re-start riding until the feeling
and strength comes back.
--
David Bentley
 
David Bentley wrote:
> In message <
>
> BTW have you ever suffered with numb fingers/hands on your long rides?
> I'm still suffering in my left hand 3 days after getting home although
> has been some improvement. I daren't re-start riding until the feeling
> and strength comes back.


Yes - my little finger on the left hand is still tingling even now.
Takes a few weeks to go away usually. What's more worrying is the
numbness in my ahem "bits" down below. The day after, you could have
slammed a car door on it and I wouldn't have felt a thing - and I had
two pairs of padded shorts on.

Some feeling is gradually returning thankfully, although I read in a
Long Distance Cycling book that it someone 3 months off the bike to
return to normal. Can't decide what is worse - 3 months with no cycling
or a numb winkle!

--
Simon
 
D

David Bentley

Guest
In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>
>
>David Bentley wrote:
>> In message <
>>
>> BTW have you ever suffered with numb fingers/hands on your long rides?
>> I'm still suffering in my left hand 3 days after getting home although
>> has been some improvement. I daren't re-start riding until the feeling
>> and strength comes back.

>
>Yes - my little finger on the left hand is still tingling even now.
>Takes a few weeks to go away usually. What's more worrying is the
>numbness in my ahem "bits" down below. The day after, you could have
>slammed a car door on it and I wouldn't have felt a thing - and I had
>two pairs of padded shorts on.



Ah yes, Pudendal nerve compression, I've read about that. Is your
saddle tilted upwards too much? - that's one of the causes.
>


--
David Bentley