Re: Ride Report: San Jose, CA to Patterson, CA and back (long)

Terry Morse

Guest
Nice report, Ravi. The ride to Patterson and back is a deceptively
tough one. I use it as a gauge of my long distance fitness. The
climb out of Del Puerto Canyon is a killer, that always seems to sap
my strength. I don't know why, either. It's not that long.

When I'm in good form, I do that route in about 8 hours. 8:30 if I'm
not. Hydration and electrolytes are super important, as the return
climbs are always hit.

There is usually water on the back side of Hamilton, near the 3-mile
marker. I rode by it last Saturday, but I didn't notice if it was
still running water. If I drink plenty at the Junction and fill both
bottles, I can make it to the top of Hamilton with only two bottles.

Terry Morse wrote:

> There is usually water on the back side of Hamilton, near the 3-mile
> marker. I rode by it last Saturday, but I didn't notice if it was
> still running water. If I drink plenty at the Junction and fill both
> bottles, I can make it to the top of Hamilton with only two bottles.

I had two bottles, but a third (smaller) would have just done it i think.

A hydration related question: does breathing thru the mouth make one
loose water more quickly ?? I somehow felt that is the case, is it true?
Especially on a hot day ?

thanks,
ravi

I never tried the back side of Hamiton. I rode the front side 3 times in one
day for Deathride training. But the backside looks much worst than the
frontside. At least you can get water on Grant Ranch on the front side
before getting to the top. I rode Mines Rd from the junction to Livermore
and that is a long stretch to make with 2 large bottles in the 100+ heat.
The Hamiton to Livermore rides made me buy a small camelback about 40oz
side. That with the 2 large bottles get me through the worst sections in the
heat. I remember drinking over 3 gals of water on a ride once.

By the way where is the water stop at mile 3 on the backside?

cel

Ravi <[email protected]> wrote:

> A hydration related question: does breathing thru the mouth make one
> loose water more quickly ??

Yes, although breathing solely through the nose is usually not an
option when cycling. Unless you're going quite slowly, or descending.