Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Riding before or after eating

Started by The Wogster · · Last activity · 1 post · 437 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 April 2005
Last activity
19 April 2005
Original author
The Wogster
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
437
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mike said:

    Hello...I'm about to start riding my bike again after being lazy all
    winter and spring. I used to ride for about 30 minutes just as soon as
    I got home from work, but now we have a baby girl and I don't want to
    miss the little time I have with her before she goes off to bed, so
    riding right after work is out. She is in bed by 7, so I could ride
    after that, but then the question becomes do I eat and then ride (cuz I
    am mightily hungry by that time), or ride and then eat. I have heard
    that you burn more fat if you train while hungry.

    There are many schools of thought, first digestion is an intensive
    process, so exercising right after a meal can be hard on your body,
    strangely enough, especially the heart. Second your blood sugar peeks
    anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half AFTER eating, so that's
    probably the best time. If you eat as soon as you get home, then spend
    time with the little one, then go riding, you may be able to get the
    most efficiency.

    As for fat, well fat is used to store energy, so if your going to ride
    while hungary then, your going to be burning your stores, as long as you
    don't eat twice as much afterwards to compensate.

    What you could do, is eat something, when you get home, simple carbs,
    that digest easily, and quickly, spend time with the little one, then go
    for your ride, which burns off those simple carbs, then have the rest of
    your meal when you get home.

    W

    Quoted message said:


    Of course, the best solution would be to get up at 5:30 a.m. instead of
    6 and ride then....but getting up is already hard enough to do!

    Thanks for any advice...

    Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.