Re: Road vs. Cross

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David L. Johnson, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:47:32 +0000, Mike wrote:

    > But at all three shops, they are trying to talk me into these "road bikes
    > with straight handle-bars". They say they are _not_ hybrids and are
    > closer to a true road bike. I believe the Raleigh C700 is one such bike
    > they are trying to sell me.
    >
    > I'm a pretty active person and would likely use this bike for exercise as
    > well.
    >
    > Why don't they want to sell me a road bike? Are they really
    > uncomfortable? Unfortunately with quick test rides, I really can't gauge
    > long-term comfort.

    They want to sell you what they have. They probably have lots of these
    sitting around.

    If drop bars were uncomfortable, then cross-country
    tourists wouldn't use them (and yes, they do). On longer rides drop bars
    are much more comfortable, since you don't keep as much of your weight on
    your butt (some is supported by your arms). This keeps your butt from
    getting as sore. Also, drop bars offer many hand positions, straight bars
    offer 1. Moving your hands around is also more comfortable on longer
    rides.

    I would say that a 7-mile commute is long enough for it to make a
    difference, but certainly on a longer weekend ride it would seriously
    matter.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
    _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos