Re: RR Lincoln to Howden inc 30ft badger

Dave Kahn

Guest
vernon levy wrote:

> I had a rude awakening at Lincoln, I had a climb to do at the very start up
> past the imposing Cathedral.

I know that one, and it's a bit of a sod, especially when it has no
business being there at all given Lincolnshire's reputation for
flatness. Incidentally I find Lincoln one of the worst places to cycle
through for harassment by teenage peds. Any problems like that?

> On setting off got Howden, felt a twinge of pain in my right knee and
> discarded it as being caused by being static for too long. I got to Howden
> OK but the knee pain was worse so I reluctantly decided to pack and limp
> back to Selby.

Commiserations, but I think you were wise to listen to your body. Did
you ice the knee when you got home?

> Total distance for the day excl riding to and from Leeds
> station 128km. The weather was perfect for the ride; cloudy, cool, with sun
> only emerging once I got to Selby. Despite the pack, I had a nice day out,
> GNER's staff were brilliant, saw a new bit of the country and the Humber
> Bridge can wait a while longer before I strain its cables :)
>
> Ain't cycling brilliant!

Yes, it can be magic at times.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon levy wrote:
>
>> I had a rude awakening at Lincoln, I had a climb to do at the very start
>> up past the imposing Cathedral.

> I know that one, and it's a bit of a sod, especially when it has no
> business being there at all given Lincolnshire's reputation for flatness.
> Incidentally I find Lincoln one of the worst places to cycle through for
> harassment by teenage peds. Any problems like that?

You've voiced my thoughts exactly regarding the lump that the catherdral
sits on. The train ride south did little to hint at the possibility of
hills. As for the neds/chavs not a hint of them. Mind you there's very
long odds on meeting them at 08:00 ;-)

>> On setting off for Howden, felt a twinge of pain in my right knee and
>> discarded it as being caused by being static for too long. I got to
>> Howden OK but the knee pain was worse so I reluctantly decided to pack
>> and limp back to Selby.

> Commiserations, but I think you were wise to listen to your body. Did you
> ice the knee when you got home?

Didn't ice it but there's every sign of a speedy recovery. I'd toyed with
the idea of buying some Ibuprofen and pressing on but thought better of it.
It's not joint pain but muscle strain I think. Looks like I'll be ok for a
ride North through Ripon, Masham and Thirsk on Thurs.

>> Total distance for the day excl riding to and from Leeds station 128km.
>> The weather was perfect for the ride; cloudy, cool, with sun only
>> emerging once I got to Selby. Despite the pack, I had a nice day out,
>> GNER's staff were brilliant, saw a new bit of the country and the Humber
>> Bridge can wait a while longer before I strain its cables :)
>>
>> Ain't cycling brilliant!

> Yes, it can be magic at times.

My wife claims the magic lies in the peace and quiet at chez Levy during my
absences because the kids having no one to tease them and the domestic
detritus having no one to cause it :)