Re: RR Lincoln to Howden inc 30ft badger

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Kahn, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    vernon levy wrote:

    > I had a rude awakening at Lincoln, I had a climb to do at the very start up
    > past the imposing Cathedral.

    I know that one, and it's a bit of a sod, especially when it has no
    business being there at all given Lincolnshire's reputation for
    flatness. Incidentally I find Lincoln one of the worst places to cycle
    through for harassment by teenage peds. Any problems like that?

    > On setting off got Howden, felt a twinge of pain in my right knee and
    > discarded it as being caused by being static for too long. I got to Howden
    > OK but the knee pain was worse so I reluctantly decided to pack and limp
    > back to Selby.

    Commiserations, but I think you were wise to listen to your body. Did
    you ice the knee when you got home?

    > Total distance for the day excl riding to and from Leeds
    > station 128km. The weather was perfect for the ride; cloudy, cool, with sun
    > only emerging once I got to Selby. Despite the pack, I had a nice day out,
    > GNER's staff were brilliant, saw a new bit of the country and the Humber
    > Bridge can wait a while longer before I strain its cables :)
    >
    > Ain't cycling brilliant!

    Yes, it can be magic at times.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > vernon levy wrote:
    >
    >> I had a rude awakening at Lincoln, I had a climb to do at the very start
    >> up past the imposing Cathedral.

    > I know that one, and it's a bit of a sod, especially when it has no
    > business being there at all given Lincolnshire's reputation for flatness.
    > Incidentally I find Lincoln one of the worst places to cycle through for
    > harassment by teenage peds. Any problems like that?

    You've voiced my thoughts exactly regarding the lump that the catherdral
    sits on. The train ride south did little to hint at the possibility of
    hills. As for the neds/chavs not a hint of them. Mind you there's very
    long odds on meeting them at 08:00 ;-)

    >> On setting off for Howden, felt a twinge of pain in my right knee and
    >> discarded it as being caused by being static for too long. I got to
    >> Howden OK but the knee pain was worse so I reluctantly decided to pack
    >> and limp back to Selby.

    > Commiserations, but I think you were wise to listen to your body. Did you
    > ice the knee when you got home?

    Didn't ice it but there's every sign of a speedy recovery. I'd toyed with
    the idea of buying some Ibuprofen and pressing on but thought better of it.
    It's not joint pain but muscle strain I think. Looks like I'll be ok for a
    ride North through Ripon, Masham and Thirsk on Thurs.

    >> Total distance for the day excl riding to and from Leeds station 128km.
    >> The weather was perfect for the ride; cloudy, cool, with sun only
    >> emerging once I got to Selby. Despite the pack, I had a nice day out,
    >> GNER's staff were brilliant, saw a new bit of the country and the Humber
    >> Bridge can wait a while longer before I strain its cables :)
    >>
    >> Ain't cycling brilliant!

    > Yes, it can be magic at times.

    My wife claims the magic lies in the peace and quiet at chez Levy during my
    absences because the kids having no one to tease them and the domestic
    detritus having no one to cause it :)