Re: Rust prevention

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by C.J.Patten, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    "Bob Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm building up a bike using a rather nice vintage steel frame. There is
    > more rust inside the tubes than I would like. It all seems to be surface
    > rust, since a little steel wool removes it.
    >
    > Is there an oil or some rust prevention compound that I could use to coat
    > the inside of the tubes to prevent further deterioration, or even remove
    > some of what is there now?

    Two broad categories for removal: physical, chemical.
    If you can find a way to get the inside scrubbed - perhaps a Scotch brite
    pad on a stick - that would do it. There are also various chemicals that
    will remove rust but I've always scrubbed.

    Prevention: same thing. Physical barriers to moisture and air or chemical
    catylists that will alter the surface of the metal to make it in-oxidizable.

    I don't know what kind of steel your frame is but Chrom-Moly Steel is fairly
    rust resistant on it's own so it may require less protection (if any) than
    other steels. My last CrMo frame lasted 14 years with no protection - in
    horrible riding conditions, being put away wet - and it only had mild
    surface rust (like a powder) on the unpainted tube interior, which didn't
    affect anything.

    I decided to protect my new frame innards and went with Linseed Oil, which
    acts as a moisture & air barrier.

    Bought at a hardware store in the wood finishing section - 1quart for about
    $5, labeled "boiled linseed oil." Applied with a pump sprayer used to mist
    plants. Left in bright sun to dry. Net result: inside of tubes have a
    coating with a consistency somewhere between hard plastic and parmesan
    cheese.

    I looked for "Frame Saver" but it's unheard of within 500 miles of my home
    and there's been some debate about whether or not FrameSaver IS in fact
    Boiled Linseed Oil! I took the risk on a natural product. My apartment
    smelled of linseeds for a week - not unenjoyable at all.

    Highly recommended. Be sure to rotate the frame once the oil's in there to
    ensure it all gets coated.

    C.